Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2018, 20:52   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Over and out

I hear break used in two different ways. But both involve an actual break in transmission to allow for urgent traffic to cut in.

1. As you describe it, to break a single long transmission.

2. When multiple stations are involved a to indicate a change on which station(s) is/are being addressed. Example: A 2 hourly schedule on boats that have logged in to SAR watch on departure (boat names/callsigns actually x 3).

PYC:All boats, All boats, All boats. This is PYC. This is the 1215 Sched. Please state you location and situation when called.

Break. Alize III, over.
Alize III: This is Alize III. I am at ..... over.
PYC: Roger Alize III. Break. Avurigo, over. (no actual transmission break until the Over)
Avurigo: This is Avurigo. I am at ....., over
PYC: Roger, Break, ..........
PYC: Last boat, Roger. PYC on standby, Out.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 20:59   #62
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
"Roger" is still a valid pro word, at least in the US CG and Navy. They do use "Romeo" for the phonetic alphabet.

BTW, "Roger" stands alone. "Roger that" is technically incorrect, although widely used.

I'm not saying I'm NOT an old fart. Just that this isn't proof of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
So, why get upset about it? Plenty of better things to obsess about!

Jim
Yep, "Roger That" upsets my radio karma although I confess to being guilty of using it at times.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 21:52   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
OVER is not the "end of my sentence(s)." Both Over and Out mean that, but in two different situations.

Over means, I have finished talking for now and am waiting for your response to continue this conversation (i.e. "I'm handing over to you").
Out mean I have finished this conversation and do not expect a reply from you.
Copy that.
Need to upgrade my 10-1.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 22:19   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Long transmissions should rarely (never?) occur on emergency / calling channels so pausing long transmissions shouldn't be an issue for emergency traffic.
I suppose that depends on what one considers "long". The USCG transmissions I hear take place on chan 16 (calling and emergency), and some of them last around one minute. They apparently use BREAK merely to delineate sections of the message.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 22:26   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
I suppose that depends on what one considers "long". The USCG transmissions I hear take place on chan 16 (calling and emergency), and some of them last around one minute. They apparently use BREAK merely to delineate sections of the message.
Roger and it is probably location dependant!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 25-07-2018, 22:46   #66

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Ahh, then there is the Brit usage (I think) where if directed to "roger that" it would be indecent and perhaps unnatural!

Jim
Old 25-07-2018, 22:50   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ahh, then there is the Brit usage (I think) where if directed to "roger that" it would be indecent and perhaps unnatural!

Jim
Very true and very British
Old 26-07-2018, 01:02   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
I have never understood BREAK to have that meaning. I have always understood it to indicate the next portion of my transmission is about a new subject (or new audience)and is not related to the last portion.

Long transmissions should rarely (never?) occur on emergency / calling channels so pausing long transmissions shouldn't be an issue for emergency traffic.

Unless of course you are listening to long haul truckers saying "Breaker breaker come on back" :big grin:
We would use "Roger so far" to break up a long message into bite sized portions, particularly for spares demands involving long part numbers. It was tough being a REMF back then.

"Break" would be used for a short cessation of radio silence, normally because something had occurred outside the normal training or exercise.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 01:05   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Very true and very British
Any double entendres in the children's cartoon Captain Pugwash, are purely conicidental.
Old 26-07-2018, 01:13   #70

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
We would use "Roger so far" to break up a long message into bite sized portions, particularly for spares demands involving long part numbers. It was tough being a REMF back then.

"Break" would be used for a short cessation of radio silence, normally because something had occurred outside the normal training or exercise.
is the BREAK thing not a CB radio code word? Never heard it on VHF, nor mentioned in SRC training classes.

The only break I am avare of is SELANCE MAYDAY.
Old 26-07-2018, 02:13   #71

Quote:

OK, in these circumstances, I would have used "Standby" or "Standby, over" in the cessation was expected to be short (say < 1 minute) and "Standby, out" if the cessation was expected to be some minutes. Of course, I'm occasionally wrong .

There is more than one way to skin a cat .
Old 26-07-2018, 02:28   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
is the BREAK thing not a CB radio code word? Never heard it on VHF, nor mentioned in SRC training classes.

The only break I am avare of is SELANCE MAYDAY.
Tends to be a military thing when radio silence has been ordered as this tends to be a rather blanket ban. If urgent traffic does need to be sent then "break" is needed or no one will talk to you, orders being orders.

Pete
Old 26-07-2018, 03:09   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

These are small annoyances in radio protocol. In the Bahamas I heard much worse. Some nit endlessly prattling “Roger, Roger.” What annoys me more is when they invent new words for the alphabet “Apple, Bannana, Cucumber,”

So APPLE becomes something like...

APPLE PEAR PINEAPPLE LEROY EPITHET

Really? WTF? Totally Tango Uniform procedure.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 03:50   #74

Quote:
Tends to be a military thing when radio silence has been ordered as this tends to be a rather blanket ban. If urgent traffic does need to be sent then "break" is needed or no one will talk to you, orders being orders.

Pete
Ahh, you have military radio experience, that explains some of the differences in the posts of the prowords and procedures when compared to say my recreational marine (or professional aviation) usage!
Old 26-07-2018, 04:33   #75

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Hello ZERO this is ONE over.

ZERO: "Send over"
ONE: "I have rolled my Land Rover over"
ZERO: "Where have you rolled your Land Rover over over"
ONE : "I have rolled my Land Rover over on the Andover Flyover over"
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote