Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2018, 07:49   #16

Re: Over and out

Wilco is absolutely correct.

And yes, I am another pedantic.

Out
Willie11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 17:17   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie11b View Post
Wilco is absolutely correct.

And yes, I am another pedantic.

Out

Correct as in "it is a standard proword"? Yes

Correct as in "an appropriate response to the OP's question"? No

(What's is the responder saying that they are going to do?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 17:35   #18

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Here in the southern hinterlands I frequently hear "Come back", as in "Red Boat, This is Blue Boat, Come Back (Please respond)".

And "10-4" for affirmative.

"What's your 20?" for location.

Stupid, if you ask me. Plus the extended discussions that occur on 16, particularly between fishermen. Until the Coast Guard tells them to knock it off!
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 17:54   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Yes, I cringe.

In the Bahamas I heard “Roger, roger” ad nauseam.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 18:08   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 04:04   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
And what would that “safety reason” be?
There are many situations where precise communications are necessary for safety reasons; negotiating crossing a TSS or congested shipping lanes, SAR, Mayday. I would agree that a percentage of communications do not have a safety element to them, but IMHO it's good do it correctly at all times so it comes naturally if and when a safest situation does arise and it is important to get it right.

If you're interested, there's a good guide to IMO Standard Marine Communications Phrases at http://www.segeln.co.at/media/pdf/smcp.pdf

The first paragraph of the Forward to this doc is:
"As navigational and safety communications from ship to shore and vice versa, ship to ship, and on board ships must be precise, simple and unambiguous, so as to avoid confusion and error, there is a need to standardize the language used. This is of particular importance in the light of the increasing number of internationally trading vessels with crews speaking many different languages since problems of communication may cause misunderstandings leading to dangers to the vessel, the people on board and the environment."
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 04:37   #22

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I Thought that Wilco was actually proper radio usage?

what bothers me is the incessant requests for radio checks on Ch 16, or kids on the radio.Im sure parents think it's cute

I hear a lot of kids on VHF in St. Maarten, calling each other to arrange activities. They have far better radio etiquette and clarity than adults. I get a kick out of their precise use of radio protocol.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 05:49   #23

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Roger that. Who is Roger anyway
Roger Ramjet, if you're old enough to remember that kids' cartoon.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 06:20   #24

Boat: Valiant 40

I’m a bit puzzled at what seems to be distain for traditional protocol and terms/vocabulary, or maybe I’m just reading this thread wrong.

On VHF brevity is the soul of clear, concise communication. Standardized vocabulary contributes greatly to that. I use “over” and “over and out” and “Roger” out of ingrained habit at this point. Call me silly but if it’s good enough for the USCG it’s good enough for me.

Few things irk me more that someone jumping on 16 and meandering on and making a hash of sequenced clear communication because they don’t know how to confirm the are done talking or whatever.

And radio manufacturers should send a shock to the mic when it hears “radio check”.
Old 23-07-2018, 06:57   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I use “over” and “over and out” and “Roger” out of ingrained habit at this point. Call me silly but if it’s good enough for the USCG it’s good enough for me.
Wow, the USCG use the term "over and out"? A contradictory term invented by Hollywood.
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 08:21   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Back in the 70’s I was a AT, Aviation Electronics Technician, and part of my duties were to be Radioman on fixed wing aircraft out of Elizabeth City, NC.

Our training inculcated proper radio techniques. Some few would get informal and mildly deviate. Most did not. Things may have changed, but usually I hear good precise Comms from the USCG.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 08:40   #27

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Back in the 70’s I was a AT, Aviation Electronics Technician, and part of my duties were to be Radioman on fixed wing aircraft out of Elizabeth City, NC.

Our training inculcated proper radio techniques. Some few would get informal and mildly deviate. Most did not. Things may have changed, but usually I hear good precise Comms from the USCG.
OVER AND OUT is somehow offending and rude. It says translated "f××k you, you can continue talking as long as you want to (OVER), but I am not listenig anymore (OUT)."

Can't believe, USCG or any (trained) officials are saying this on the radio.

What bugs me more is that in many places the local language is used instead of English, even from the officials (like in France). And then they wonder if not getting a response.
Old 23-07-2018, 14:03   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
OVER AND OUT is somehow offending and rude. It says translated "f××k you, you can continue talking as long as you want to (OVER), but I am not listenig anymore (OUT)."
Never thought of it in exactly that way before, but very true . I'm going use that in teaching VHF Procedures in the future.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 14:54   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
On VHF brevity is the soul of clear, concise communication. Standardized vocabulary contributes greatly to that. I use “over” and “over and out” and “Roger” out of ingrained habit at this point. Call me silly but if it’s good enough for the USCG it’s good enough for me.
Wow, in all the years of communicating with USCG vessels I have never heard any of their radio officers use the term "Over and Out". They have been like parrots and used terminology as prescribed in the international radio operators handbook.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 15:05   #30

Boat: Endeavour 40CC

Having used a radio most of my life at work and when I was in the Marines and HATING to tie up the freq I still cringe when someone says "Be advised".

You don't need to tell me to "be advised" just say what you need and I will "be advised".
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote