Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2016, 07:58   #16

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Oldest European Settlement in US

The discovery of North America by Europeans is a fascinating study especially for those with a love of seafaring. Vikings from Iceland, Greenland and Norway began visiting the shores of North America(Newfoundland, Labrador, Baffin Island, Quebec, Nova Scotia and beyond) in AD 1000 +/- 5 years and after---roughly 500 years before the great Portuguese and Spanish Sailors traversed its shores. The English and French followed shortly after. The shortest route was from the Viking settlements in West Greenland--the longest was from coastal Norway. Passages from Greenland were usually around 2 weeks while the passage from Norway was typically 3-4 weeks depending upon the weather. Many ships were blown off course or lost at sea and the majority of Viking boats were open to the elements with no decks and little or no shelter from the weather. A fascinating history of these voyages, as well as all others, was written by Samuel Eliot Morison, former rear admiral of the USN, renowned Pulitzer Prize-winning historian of maritime history and winner of the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Lyndon Johnson titled "The Northern Voyages A.D. 500-1600" published by Oxford University Press which is perhaps the most authoritative tome written to date on this fascinating subject. Morison writes history like a well-written novel and the information provided is essential to those who are interested in this fascinating period of maritime navigation. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 24-02-2016, 08:22   #17

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

There's a lot of history that isn't taught and has been forgotten. Over ten years ago I read a book called "They all discovered America" and it was written in the mid 60's. It is very worth ready if you can get a copy and it talks about all of the various peoples from before the Romans to those up to and including Columbus. He's been proven right on most of his theories over the years.
Old 24-02-2016, 08:30   #18

What about king Modoc of Wales . Some believe that when forced out of Wales he and many followers some how settled some where up the Mississippi .
As far as discovery goes what about that Irish monk , St. Brendan , sailed a leather boat across the Atlantic in 1,006 and back to England ! Many rumors about Chris Columbo reading Brendan's journey and that was the reason Chris went South before heading west .
History changes every day , I do not believe no body, not Donald nor Bernie , nor any of them udder guys .
Old 24-02-2016, 08:49   #19

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

Weren't there also some dive sites found with evidence of ancient Chinese ships along the west coast? I remember hearing something about it but the memory is a bit fuzzy.

Sent from my C6730 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-02-2016, 09:09   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
The oldest European settlement in the continental US was recently discovered in Pensacola Bay, Florida. This was the first settlement founded by Spanish colonizers that pre-dates St. Augustine and the English settlement at Jamestown. The great Spanish navigator/captain Tristan de Luna brought 1500 people to establish the colony that was eventually destroyed by a hurricane. Here's the interesting account below. I wonder if Luna has AIS, GPS, Satnav or radar?
Oldest European multi-year settlement found in Pensacola - UPI.com
Dish the vikings will you? They build settlements up and down north america,, at least as far as Maine, about a 1000 or more years ago. Even an old stone remnant in New Hampshire and unverified stone runes(writings, not ruins) in the mid west.
Old 24-02-2016, 09:14   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Such settelments (contact sites) are very much contested..I think it was Jaun Pardo that set out after Cortez from Jeckell Island Ga.(there abouts) and into the heartland of the southeast to discover Gold (cod fish! what a joke! lots of folks are trying to disassociate their ancestors from GREED these days(not saying the person that wrote the cod fish statement is doing that) and what he found was not Oro or Cod,what he found was "an invader tribe " from the south..They found a place called "Cohokia" where they witnessed human sacrifice and were told of a place due east that was ruled by two women! That place is a few miles from where I now sit on the Yadkin river (Guatama (sp?))..There are no indications that they (Indios) had ever encountered europeans before this "contact site" meeting..Scott Wolford would tell you that the Knights Templer and giant white men were here 1000s of years before Columbus !! Lets all rewrite history and put a slant that makes us feel good to it..I guess to some it would be nice if we could get those "Latinos" out of the picture and stick an Anglo at the apex of the great discovery of the Americas ! No European has ever ,never, discovered anything here that was not already "discovered".. If you want to know the truth just ask "Dora the explorer"...
Old 24-02-2016, 09:29   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Dish the vikings will you? They build settlements up and down north america,, at least as far as Maine, about a 1000 or more years ago. Even an old stone remnant in New Hampshire and unverified stone runes(writings, not ruins) in the mid west.
Reed,
There are no mainstream archeologists or historians that will give credence to any other site than L'Anse Aux Meadows in Newfoundland as a verifiable Viking site. The sites you mentioned in Maine and New Hampshire have been determined to be hoaxes. Did the Vikings travel beyond Southern Newfoundland? Probably, but there are no credible artifacts or dwelling sites that will prove it conclusively. However, just recently, evidence of a second Norse occupation on Baffin Island has been found with verifiable Norse artifacts: European/Norse yarn, carvings and forged iron. This will be the second proven Viking site in North America. If you are interested, Helge and Anne Stine Ingstad's "The Viking Discovery of America" is considered the authoritative history for this period. They were the discoverers of the L'Anse Aux Meadows site in NE Newfoundland and used the old Norse Sagas and Dark Age maps as source material for their discoveries. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 24-02-2016, 09:40   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Such settelments (contact sites) are very much contested..I think it was Jaun Pardo that set out after Cortez from Jeckell Island Ga.(there abouts) and into the heartland of the southeast to discover Gold (cod fish! what a joke! lots of folks are trying to disassociate their ancestors from GREED these days(not saying the person that wrote the cod fish statement is doing that) and what he found was not Oro or Cod,what he found was "an invader tribe " from the south..They found a place called "Cohokia" where they witnessed human sacrifice and were told of a place due east that was ruled by two women! That place is a few miles from where I now sit on the Yadkin river (Guatama (sp?))..There are no indications that they (Indios) had ever encountered europeans before this "contact site" meeting..Scott Wolford would tell you that the Knights Templer and giant white men were here 1000s of years before Columbus !! Lets all rewrite history and put a slant that makes us feel good to it..I guess to some it would be nice if we could get those "Latinos" out of the picture and stick an Anglo at the apex of the great discovery of the Americas ! No European has ever ,never, discovered anything here that was not already "discovered".. If you want to know the truth just ask "Dora the explorer"...

Your statements are pure junk, pseudo-History. No credible Historian would ever utter such nonsense: Knights Templar, Giant White Men . . . these are preposterous to any educated person and completely unprovable. And, it was the cod fishery of the Grand Banks that brought unlimited wealth to Spain, Portugal, France and England in the 16th Century and spurned further exploration of the North American continent. I suppose you'll tell us next about Von Daniken's "Chariot of the Gods" as your source for the belief in aliens. These comments are patently absurd and belong in a Science Fiction Forum--not one that seeks the Truth.
Old 24-02-2016, 10:05   #24

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
The oldest European settlement in the continental US was recently discovered in Pensacola Bay, Florida. This was the first settlement founded by Spanish colonizers that pre-dates St. Augustine and the English settlement at Jamestown. The great Spanish navigator/captain Tristan de Luna brought 1500 people to establish the colony that was eventually destroyed by a hurricane. Here's the interesting account below. I wonder if Luna has AIS, GPS, Satnav or radar?
Oldest European multi-year settlement found in Pensacola - UPI.com
I find this discussion very interesting-I love history.

But in all fairness-OP specified "Europeans" (which includes Scandinavians) settling in the CONUS.(not including Alaska,Hawaii,or possessions such as Puerto Rico)

I live in America (Canada) but not in the CONUS or United States of America. There are many more people living in America (Central & South) who also are not living in USA.
Sometimes using the term "American" can be confusing to others,as well as the practice of some US citizens of stating their location/home is in Bath,Bristol,Jamestown....,etc.,without adding at least USA, & assuming the world knows where they are describing

I'm not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers-peace be with you.

Also not trying to break this discussion or re-direct it.

I believe that I read recently of Viking? settlement artifacts found on the coast of Maine. Anyone else aware of this & where?

Cheers/ Len
Old 24-02-2016, 10:05   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Your statements are pure junk, pseudo-History. No credible Historian would ever utter such nonsense: Knights Templar, Giant White Men . . . these are preposterous to any educated person and completely unprovable. And, it was the cod fishery of the Grand Banks that brought unlimited wealth to Spain, Portugal, France and England in the 16th Century and spurned further exploration of the North American continent. I suppose you'll tell us next about Von Daniken's "Chariot of the Gods" as your source for the belief in aliens. These comments are patently absurd and belong in a Science Fiction Forum--not one that seeks the Truth.
Either I need to learn to present my statments better than I do or you need to work on your comprehension skills...I dont read historical fiction so I am not familiar with Von Douches work but I am very familiar with "recorded history" and all this time I was unaware of cod fish bringing wealth to Spain..For the life of me I thought it was the rooms full of gold that was paid for Montazumas ransom that made them rich..In hindsite I should have known that it was cod that brought the wealth..Every school kid knows that Montazuma was held hostage by Spain until all the rooms of the palace were filled with Cod fish, how could I forget that.. Oh my Cod, I mean God !
Old 24-02-2016, 10:17   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
example of your lack of comprehsion : "Your statments" about giants and Knights Templar were not "my statements" it is real easy to understand "Scott Wolter" one more time "Scott Wolter" (google: "Scott Wolter" if you still do not comprehend)..thank you kindly..again focus comprehsion is key to enlightnment "Scott Wolter"...I believe that you will one day grace the halls of Valhalla and eat all the CODS that you can handle..Ha ha ha..
Old 24-02-2016, 10:20   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
I find this discussion very interesting-I love history.

But in all fairness-OP specified "Europeans" (which includes Scandinavians) settling in the CONUS.(not including Alaska,Hawaii,or possessions such as Puerto Rico)

I live in America (Canada) but not in the CONUS or United States of America. There are many more people living in America (Central & South) who also are not living in USA.
Sometimes using the term "American" can be confusing to others,as well as the practice of some US citizens of stating their location/home is in Bath,Bristol,Jamestown....,etc.,without adding at least USA, & assuming the world knows where they are describing

I'm not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers-peace be with you.

Also not trying to break this discussion or re-direct it.

I believe that I read recently of Viking? settlement artifacts found on the coast of Maine. Anyone else aware of this & where?

Cheers/ Len
Len,
If you are referring to the "Maine Penny," this has been deemed to be an item traded by indigenous indians from another area and not an in situ archeological find that establishes a settlement. Here's some info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_penny
Wikipedia
Old 24-02-2016, 10:41   #28
cruiser

Quote:

.... settlement founded by Spanish colonizers that pre-dates St. Augustine and the English settlement at Jamestown.

"Spanish colonizers that pre-dates St. Augustine and the English settlement"

this is interesting, Spanish are colonizers but British are settlers.
Old 24-02-2016, 10:43   #29

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Len,
If you are referring to the "Maine Penny," this has been deemed to be an item traded by indigenous indians from another area and not an in situ archeological find that establishes a settlement. Here's some info:
Wikipedia
Don't recall "Maine penny" but Penobscot area rings bell-only a 100 miles from here. Can't remember anymore but thanks / L
Old 24-02-2016, 10:46   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Len,
Wikipedia
you are trying to perpetrate more historical fiction by linking this to the title of the thread..I know a fella in Jamaica perhaps 65 yrs. old that has a birth ring on his finger that hasnt been removed since he was a baby..The ring was found by a diver and was thought to be from a spanish ship that sank off the coast 300 years before..His flesh has grown over the ring and can not be removed..If this fella goes to an archological site and dies there does that mean in 500 years when someone finds it that it is proof that Spain was not in Jamaica until 800 years after the record indictes?..That coin that was found up north means nothing as far as history is concerned..That thing could have been someones inheritence or good luck charm that they brought to America in the 1800s and lost on that site ,or traded to an indian or it could have been in a glass bottle that was washed off shore and found its way to a new land or it could have been swallowed by a cod that was eaten by a shark that was eaten by a man that was swallowed by a whale that washed up on the shore and was found by an indian that gave it to his baby son that died at the site where it was found..
Closed Thread

Tags
Europe, men, rope