Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2018, 20:35   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Nervous About North Channel Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Yes, the Grizzlys are ferocious but there aren't as many of them. It only takes one though. I'm sure you'll be fine.

There are NO GRIZZLYS in that part of the world. The native bears tend to be scarce and are easily driven off with noise and stand your ground type posture.

We too have cruised the NC.

In the North Channel, we stopped in Killarney which is where the Bay ends and the Channel begins. It's a nice place, It is very narrow and there is a wind driven current. I think you have to take a dock in the channel proper. (Keep in mind, docking here is much less expensive than in the Caribbean or on the East Coast.) Be sure you get into Baie Fine (pronounced bay fin). It is a fjord. I don't know if you've traveled fjords before, but we hadn't. It is breathtaking how tall the walls are and how deep the water is. One side of the fjord is white quartz that sparkles in the sunshine and the other side is granite and limestone. Anchor as far east as you can go. Dingy to the east end of the fjord until the water runs out. Then take a short hike up to Topaz Lake. This lake is heavily copper, giving it a beautiful blue color. The copper also prevents any marine growth so if a log falls into the lake, it doesn't decay, it looks like it did 10 years ago when it fell. Yes, you can swim in it - we did - I just don't recommend drinking it.
Little Current is a fun town and a good place to provision. You can tie up to the dock, use power and water and wander around for the day. As long as you leave by their posted evening time the docking is free and if you want to stay the night, I think it was reasonable.
The rest of our North Channel trip: Kegawong is a nice anchorage. Hike to the falls, where you can swim in the very cool water. Hotham Island; beautiful place, easy anchorage. Whale Back Channel, Bear Drop Harbor - great place to kayak/ paddle. Meldrum Bay; grocery store here, as well as a place where guests can meet up with you.

With your shallow draft you will have little worry. Travel only in daylight as the navigation marks are not lighted. Many people spend three or more weeks there, some, all summer.

There are many guides and a few books written about cruising in the NC and there are many YouTube videos. Some of the place borders on provincial park so you can get park and trail maps.

A guide
North Channel Georgian Bay Cruising – Marinas, Anchorages, Yacht Charters, Maps, Weather, Boat Sales – Boating Georgian Bay

A good book. The standard to read.
https://www.amazon.com/Well-Favored-.../dp/0931850029
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 06:30   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
There are NO GRIZZLYS in that part of the world. The native bears tend to be scarce and are easily driven off with noise and stand your ground type posture.

We too have cruised the NC. ...

Excellent post and great info.

… why do people who clearly have no actual knowledge of the question (bears in the North Channel) insist on posting false information? I know we’re in this Brave New World of “alternative facts,” but seriously … there are NO grizzlies anywhere near the North Channel. Not unless you plan to visit a zoo.
Old 26-07-2018, 07:28   #18

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

FYI:
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 08:47   #19

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Grizzlys consider dogs, and sometimes people, delicious.
So I have heard.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 09:00   #20

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

Mr. O'Reilly gives you some god information. The first boat I ever chartered was out of Gore Bay (CYC) and I have gone back 8 times since. Awesome sailing.

Well charted but not much in way of buoyage. Just keep track of where you are and you will not have the slightest issue. GPS should help. We just had charts and compass but not an issue.

We always headed straight to the Benjamins. Two-three hours from Gore Bay. You can make it to Little Current from there in one day, or you can stop at Clapperton Isl. In the anchorage in its bay there is a little island with an old lodge on it. Fun to explore. From Little Current go to Killarney for lunch, then on to Portage Cove. From there, Bay Finne and the "Pool" at the end. You'll have to motor even in wind up to the Pool but worth it. Spend two days thee and go up the mountain to the lake hit be acid rain--like swimming in a reactor pool the water is so different and blue.

We swam morning and night off the boat--the initial plunge is breath-stopping but (if you survive) almost immediately refreshing. Do not go down the swim ladder--you will stop. Just dive or jump. Really great. Evenings last long at that latitude and the stars are like you have never seen.

Back to Little Current and a pump-out, then if time permits the Benjamins are great for overnight.

Very easy sailing, clear water, deep water, rocks are marked on the charts but do not expect to see a lot of buoys--but the charts are very accurate.

I eny you.

Michael Barett
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 09:25   #21

Boat: Catalina 320

This has been a humorous post what with all the fear mongering about bears. Seriously???? I've seen more bears in downtown Sudbury than in the North Channel. The point is that they are there but are more scared of you. Important to bring a bear bell and/or some bear spray if you are hiking in most places in Ontario, so you don't surprise anything. Otherwise I started sailing as a newby in the North Channel and love it. If you are a proactively cautious sailor who is prepared with knowledge and the updated charts, and chartplotter etc... you can't go wrong.
stewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 09:54   #22

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Unbelievably beautiful, water cold, quite cool at night, spotty internet, Turners in Little Current a must, Small towns with basics, have a good dink to explore rivers, Mosquitoes and moose biggest dangers,

Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 10:08   #23

Yep. The moose are what you really need to be concerned with.
During the fall mating season in late September and October, termed the rut, bull moose may be aggressive toward humans. In late spring and summer, cow moose with young calves are very protective and will attack humans who come too close.

Here are a few pointers: https://beprepared.com/blog/15573/7-...ed-by-a-moose/
Old 26-07-2018, 11:08   #24

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I'd be nervous also. Careful of the bears if you go ashore.
Oh no... Is that on all the islands? I'm not worried about my husband and I as we know that there are things we can do to protect ourselves, and deal with the situation.. but my little dog will be at risk. Are there certain islands to avoid? or are all islands infested with bear?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 11:12   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Yes, good fishing (so I'm told ... I hate fishing myself). You'll need a fishing license, and a copy of the appropriate regs.

Waterway guide has a number of anchorages marked, but there are many that are not. Definitely look at Activecaptain as well.
I don't actually know how to fish, but I want to learn. I'm borrowing my dad's fishing pole. Our goal is to be live aboard cruisers in 2 years, and I want to be able to fish whilst doing that, so I figured this trip would be a good opportunity to learn. I already have my outdoor card, fishing license, and I printed all the regulations...

Do I have to order a "waterway guide" or is it available on line?
Old 26-07-2018, 11:15   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdidit View Post
I see you are in St. Louis.
I assume you have read what you need to take your dog and food into Canada. I think all you need is a rabies vaccination, but best to check.
She is all set with her shots, and appropriate paperwork...

Oh, and that's for reminding me that I'm in St. Louis... I need to change my profile since I've recently moved to Leavenworth KS.....
Old 26-07-2018, 11:22   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
Mr. O'Reilly gives you some god information. The first boat I ever chartered was out of Gore Bay (CYC) and I have gone back 8 times since. Awesome sailing.

Well charted but not much in way of buoyage. Just keep track of where you are and you will not have the slightest issue. GPS should help. We just had charts and compass but not an issue.

We always headed straight to the Benjamins. Two-three hours from Gore Bay. You can make it to Little Current from there in one day, or you can stop at Clapperton Isl. In the anchorage in its bay there is a little island with an old lodge on it. Fun to explore. From Little Current go to Killarney for lunch, then on to Portage Cove. From there, Bay Finne and the "Pool" at the end. You'll have to motor even in wind up to the Pool but worth it. Spend two days thee and go up the mountain to the lake hit be acid rain--like swimming in a reactor pool the water is so different and blue.

We swam morning and night off the boat--the initial plunge is breath-stopping but (if you survive) almost immediately refreshing. Do not go down the swim ladder--you will stop. Just dive or jump. Really great. Evenings last long at that latitude and the stars are like you have never seen.

Back to Little Current and a pump-out, then if time permits the Benjamins are great for overnight.

Very easy sailing, clear water, deep water, rocks are marked on the charts but do not expect to see a lot of buoys--but the charts are very accurate.

I eny you.

Michael Barett
I counted days, and it looks like your itinerary is do-able in 7 days... but I"m worried about getting back in time. especially if there is bad weather.... how is the weather up there at the end of august? I think we have to have our boat back by noon....
Old 26-07-2018, 11:24   #28

Ok... so, mixed reviews on bears.. we always hike with a bear bell.. and make noise. We will keep Poptart on a leash. What about the Moose? any advice on how to avoid? will bear bells work on them as well? what if we encounter one?
Old 26-07-2018, 11:27   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Oh no... Is that on all the islands? I'm not worried about my husband and I as we know that there are things we can do to protect ourselves, and deal with the situation.. but my little dog will be at risk. Are there certain islands to avoid? or are all islands infested with bear?
Some of the islands are so infested with bear and moose you'd swear they are thick as the mosquitoes. At least insect repellent works on the mosquitoes. And for gods sake, keep the dog on a leash.
Old 26-07-2018, 11:28   #30

For those recommending Baie Fine, (the one place I am dying to go... but worried about the distance) how is it getting into the bay past frazier point? It looks very narrow, and shallow. (2-3')... anyone have problems? or is it easier than it looks?

Tags
Canada