Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2021, 13:04   #16

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini
Re: Need US (WA state) coastal insurance after loss

Progressive insures my 1984 Hunter 37 no problems, full coverage for 3 years now.

Give them a try by phone.
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 19:18   #17

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

Just go to Boat U.S.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 20:38   #18

Boat: Sea Sport Voyager 30'

Forget about Pemco. I was originally with them for boat insurance back in 2014. Then my marina (Edmonds) wanted me to have them listed as an “Additional Insured”, which I learned isn’t uncommon in these parts. Pemco wouldn’t do it, flat out. I’ve been with them for car and home coverage for decades, but the boat? No dice. Went to BoatUS/Geico and had no trouble at all.
GWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 16:24   #19

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWilly View Post
Forget about Pemco. I was originally with them for boat insurance back in 2014. Then my marina (Edmonds) wanted me to have them listed as an “Additional Insured”, which I learned isn’t uncommon in these parts. Pemco wouldn’t do it, flat out. I’ve been with them for car and home coverage for decades, but the boat? No dice. Went to BoatUS/Geico and had no trouble at all.
Thanks for heads up, part of what I need insurance for right now is to stay in Squalicum, so that's important part of this whole picture.
Old 13-02-2021, 16:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLady View Post
Just go to Boat U.S.
Thanks, already did, no dice. Had insurance with them on a smaller boat for 10 years, been BoatUS member for longer, all that means exactly nothing to Geico.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:07   #21

Quick wrap up post, thank you to everyone who replied.

I ended up using Boat Insurance Agency out of Seattle who got us a well priced policy through Red Shield, a localish underwriter out of Portland, OR. Hope to never be able to tell you how a claim goes with them but both organizations have been easy to deal with setting things up. Boat Insurance Agency got me a quote through Progressive too (before I'd had a chance to call Progressive directly) but they recommended Red Shield over Progressive.

Red Shield did require more than I've been asked for in the past, including a caretaker plan for who watches over the boat when we're not there (we live 700 miles away). However, they were fine with my arrangement with our two boat neighbors and a good friend who lives a mile away and has a boat on the same dock as our caretakers... another company rejected me because my caretaker was not a paid, contracted caretaker. Everyone required that I declare I had fixed the serious issues (a few little electrical things) that showed up on my latest survey, that seems pretty standard across the board now (although I didn't have to do that last time I applied for insurance).

FWIW I also got a quote through Krista Patten at SeaMountain Insurance in Lynnwood... the price was higher (double actually) but it was still nice to see that there were two different brokers who eventually (this was an almost 8 week event for us) were able to get us policies for full agreed value coverage.

Thanks again to everyone who gave me input and guidance, as always much appreciated.

-- Bass

Tags
insurance