Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2021, 23:42   #1

Saltwater 12 volt pump for galley recommendations

I am looking for advice on make and model of 12 volt pumps specifically designed for saltwater to use in the galley to have both salt and fresh water taps. If anyone is using this kind of system what pump do they recommend that has worked well for them.
hatyaiair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 16:34   #2

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Saltwater 12 volt pump for galley recommendations

I'm about to overhaul my galley, and I'm going to do just what you're asking. My electrical panel has separate breakers for my pressure salt water pump and fresh water pump.

On the salt water side I'm installing a whale foot pump to supply salt water without electricity. I also have a pressure pump for salt water. It's pretty powerful, as it's primary use is as a washdowns for mud and fish blood removal, so it couples high pressure (40 psi) with high volume, to clean the decks quickly. It will have a tall faucet over the sink to fill the pasta pot quickly, and aid in dishwashing. It's a Jabsco Dual-Max water system pump, model 31670-0092. It pumps 7.8 gallons per minute at 18 amps max. It's definitely a serious system with two pumps piggy-backed to provide the volume to remove heavy, caked mud off the anchor flukes, but, because it doesn't take long to rinse dishes or fill a bucket, it used relatively little juice. When I'm washing the boat, I usually have the engine running, and in the galley, it doesn't run very long at all. It has 3/4" hose fittings to move a lot of water under pressure. I also use it to hose down passing "pirates".

The freshwater side is a conventional pressure pump, as I don't need the volume. I'm considering building a manifold to select salt or freshwater for the wash down, but that will be later, after I install a water maker. Some cruising friends regaled me with stories of how they washed the decks down with salt water every morning, then rinsed with freshwater. Sigh...

Also, I plan to install a faucet just for drinking and cooking water, with filter and UV purification. Clean drinking water is nice.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 16:51   #3

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatyaiair View Post
I am looking for advice on make and model of 12 volt pumps specifically designed for saltwater to use in the galley to have both salt and fresh water taps. If anyone is using this kind of system what pump do they recommend that has worked well for them.
We have installed and have had in use for many years a Par pump. It used to be a Par Max 4, now there is a new model.

The galley tap is part of a larger salt water system in our boat.

The pump pulls in salt water therough the engine intake (with check valves to prevent either the pump of the engine from using the other as it's source) and it is pumped throughout the boat: Galley, Shower, Head sink, and on deck Salt Water Wash Down. There is a tap on deck to which a hose and nossle can attach.

This is system is "on demand" and has an accumulator tank.

This is the same type of pump we use for our pressure fresh water system so we need only one spare.

Do not leave the breaker turned on for this system when off the boat. A broken fitting or hose clamp will result in the pump turning on and it will fill you boat amazingly fast (it has high pressure and volume).
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 18:49   #4

Thank you very much for your input on this. Much appreciated. One more question I should have asked in the original post - what faucet are you using in the galley? Given the salt water a standard faucet will be disintegrate quickly. Plastic would make more sense.
hatyaiair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatyaiair View Post
Thank you very much for your input on this. Much appreciated. One more question I should have asked in the original post - what faucet are you using in the galley? Given the salt water a standard faucet will be disintegrate quickly. Plastic would make more sense.
We have three faucets in the galley. The one in the forground with the back plastic lever is for salt water. I bought it a camper supply house. The one pictured is the second identical faucet we've had in this location, over 25 years. The brass parts inside of the first one corroded out about 5 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Galley Faucets-081438.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	233729  
Old 03-03-2021, 20:59   #6

Boat: Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
On the salt water side I'm installing a whale foot pump to supply salt water without electricity.

Same.

Minimizing electrics is great on multiple levels.
xxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 21:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxx View Post
Same.

Minimizing electrics is great on multiple levels.
Yes, minimizing electrics is a good move towards living lightly. Also good for simplifying your yacht (reduces maintenance, etc).

However, so is camping out.

I am sorry if I do not sound very politically correct, but we decided a long time ago that camping out was not our thing, it would get very old very fast. We knew that if we could not be reasonably comfortable while living aboard and cruising, we might soon give it up and move ashore to a condo, or house in the woods, or whatever, etc.

Itís like this, if doing dishes with saltwater is more onerous, pretty soon, or eventually at least, you will start to dread being out there at anchor. Maybe you will lose the enthusiasm for going out to anchor.

Many people are more pure. They live more aesthetic lives, there are monks.

We made our boat as close to land living as possible, which included, among other things, taps out of which water runs when you open them. It also included hot water out of a tap at all times, heat, light, AC power, lots more.

Maybe there are people who are more pure. In Polynesia the only people washing clothes on the beach in the cold water taps and concrete tubs that the French provided were cruisers. Certainly the Polynesians were not. Those cruisers have mostly quit and are back in homes ashore with washers and dryers. Their sinks have taps and water comes out without foot pumps.

I cannot say that our approach was right. We may use more power, more fuel, more energy totally than some. But after 35 years we are still living aboard and still choosing this lifestyle, so for us it worked.

Get an electric pump for that saltwater tap.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:49   #8

Boat: Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
But after 35 years we are still living aboard and still choosing this lifestyle, so for us it worked.

Get an electric pump for that saltwater tap.

Definitely! If I was going to live aboard for three-and-a-half decades, I would get an electric pump too! ��
xxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley, men, pump, salt, water