Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2017, 07:05   #61

Location: Boat in Preveza Greece, awaiting our next trip, we are based Sunshine Coast Australia
Boat: Jeanneau SunFast 43
Send a message via Skype™ to OzDean
Re: Looking for interest in a new program for cruising sailors

Hello Herreshoff, nice work on putting this software together, I have placed a few anchorage and town quay pins from recent sailing in Greece, including some basic info and tips, the sort of sailing/cruising/anchoring info I would have liked to easily find on a map based system before I went. There are many excellent pilot books and forums such as this one, the map based interface is another information source. Thanks for creating it.
OzDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 16:11   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
Just signed on, located in New Orleans, LA USA. I'll do my best to enter in Gulf of Mexico info that I know. Plus my local knowledge in Lake Pontchartrain and surrounding areas.

Ronnie
Please include that marina at Biloxi/Deer Island.
Looked at charts and didn't find info i was looking for.

Would be nice have approaches listed.
Other thing never did find what length/draft that marina could handle.
Think i just overlooked it somewhere.
Nicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 18:39   #63

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
Please include that marina at Biloxi/Deer Island.
Looked at charts and didn't find info i was looking for.

Would be nice have approaches listed.
Other thing never did find what length/draft that marina could handle.
Think i just overlooked it somewhere.
Sorry, I don't have any knowledge of that marina or area. I've been local to Lake Pontchartrain areas.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 19:54   #64

Is it open source? GitHub?
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 15:55   #65
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberg30Shill View Post
Is it open source? GitHub?
It's not open to be modified or altered. The information contained can be added and shared though.
Herreshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 15:58   #66
Marine Service Provider

We have just released the app versions of the program. You can download from the Apple Store (iOS) or the Google Play Store (android). We are still working to improve the speed of the app as mobile devices are slower to process the information. We are going to begin that work on the 2nd of January and will look at reducing the image sizes and stream lining a lot of the code to make it smoother running. After that we will focus all our attention on the offline version. Happy Holidays
Old 18-12-2017, 19:53   #67
Marine Service Provider

Merry Christmas from Zulu Waterways...

The gift of an App.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hat ZW.png
Views:	96
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	160693  
Old 01-01-2018, 07:42   #68

Hi guys.. thanks for providing this app for the community. By way of a bug report rather than a criticism, I just installed on a low/mid range android device running 4.4.4 (lollipop) and after the disclaimer screen I just get a blank white screen. Is there a minimum spec for this software?
libspero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 19:46   #69
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by libspero View Post
Hi guys.. thanks for providing this app for the community. By way of a bug report rather than a criticism, I just installed on a low/mid range android device running 4.4.4 (lollipop) and after the disclaimer screen I just get a blank white screen. Is there a minimum spec for this software?
Hi Libspero,

Apologies for the late reply. We were still in holiday mode, then a couple of days ago, this area (northern NSW, Aus.), got hit by some kind of weird cyclone which took out the internet for a couple days. Anyway...now we are back into programming mode.

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't tried the android app on a lollipop specifically but we are now back into the programming side of things full time so I will test specifically for 4.4.4. We certainly attempt to always program so Zulu will work across all devices. Provided the device can run google satellite maps, access from an older device should be fine. So in this way, there is no minimum spec except that the device must have enough processing power to run google maps.

Can I ask...after the blank screen does it fail to load the map page.

Thanks again for taking the time to let me know.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:13   #70

It goes straight to a blank white screen with no maps or any graphics at all to speak of. I get a thin blue "load bar" that runs from left to right across the top of the screen, then nothing. Both google maps and google Earth work fine on this device.

I have done a quick reinstall just to see if that would be a simple fix.. but no change. We will use Mrs Libsperos ipad for now which works fine.
libspero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 17:02   #71
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by libspero View Post
It goes straight to a blank white screen with no maps or any graphics at all to speak of. I get a thin blue "load bar" that runs from left to right across the top of the screen, then nothing. Both google maps and google Earth work fine on this device.

I have done a quick reinstall just to see if that would be a simple fix.. but no change. We will use Mrs Libsperos ipad for now which works fine.
Ok thanks. I will look into that specifically for that device. I hope Ms Libsperos doesn't mind you borrowing her ipad for the next little while.

On a side note. We are just upgrading the storage for the site and it might experience difficulty for the next couple of hours.
Old 05-01-2018, 21:36   #72
Marine Service Provider

We experienced some down time on both the website and the app yesterday while we made some changes. I just wanted to let everyone know that everything is back to normal now. Apologies for any inconvenience.
Old 24-01-2018, 16:23   #73
Marine Service Provider

I hope people are enjoying the app version. We have just finished some more programming and have managed to increase the app speed by 40%, along with other cool improvements such as ability to search lon/lat, better 'share icon to facebook' function, 'copy link' function and an overall tidy up of the look, feel and speed.

For those out there that are enjoying the program could I ask a favour?

It would be great to have users spreading the word about Zulu in their own way. We offer everything for free therefor we don't have a big budget for promoting and we never want to put any advertising on the site as we want to keep the zen of zulu. The best help would be to start threads/discussions and post about it online. Of course continuing to add information is also great.

If there's anything else we can do for you just let us know.
Thanks for taking part.

Tags
cruising, sail