Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2015, 09:50   #46

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Key West, Anchor then row in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
If we were going to stay for an extended time at one place it would be Boot Key. I know there are over 200 moorings. Does anyone know if it fills up in the winter?
We have been there in February and there were plenty of mooring balls. You could choose from close to the dinghy docks or far away from them.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 10:11   #47

I wa s there in the winter and there was a one month wait for a morning I think it depends a lot on the weather conditions as a lot of boys were waiting for weather so they could cross to the Bahamas. I have a different outlook on this I have been to both Boot key and Key West. marathon is a great boating community but I found life on land they're very boring. In Key West there's always something going on. I guess it depends on what you are looking for
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 10:31   #48

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

For what it's worth, I was born in Key West. Left when I was a kid and don't really remember it. Returned by motorcycle in my fiftieth year on the planet. I'm sure I would have enjoyed growing up there all those years ago. I'm also sure it's no where near the same place it was back in the 60's. Still, I feel drawn to spend some time there.

I've been to Marathon to pick up a boat for delivery earlier this year. I would consider mooring there as well. Not really looking for a 24/7 party place so it would be fine to me. Though it doesn't hold the same appeal as KW.

A couple of days ago a friend returned to the area here and gave me a Nissan 2.5 2 stroke.!. How about that?!!. I have a dinghy motor now. Just finished repairing a crack or two in the plastic tank with my soldering iron and a cut up milk jug. Appears to be holding with water to test. I can afford a new tank if needed.

About to row to shore for a small gas can, oil, and spark plug.

A poor sailor blessed by faith and friends.
Old 17-10-2015, 10:41   #49

A big crack left of center running vertically. Just melted plastic there. And two smaller cracks on the left and right corners. Thinner there so some milk jug plastic "welding rod" added there. I think it will work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-17 13.37.25.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	111134  
Old 17-10-2015, 12:05   #50

Boat: Seafarer36c

You are set now. Now that you are an old outboard owner, add a fuel filter and always carry your oars and an anchor. Someday it will save you grief.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 13:31   #51

Oars will definitely stay onboard.

Has a screen in the tank, but yes I should add a small inline filter. Thought about that but forgot when I was in town earlier.

About to see if it will fire up. Might get lucky but I imagine the carb will be off within the hour.
Old 18-10-2015, 06:05   #52

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
If we were going to stay for an extended time at one place it would be Boot Key. I know there are over 200 moorings. Does anyone know if it fills up in the winter?
some times the balls are full, in Nov. and Dec. Mostly from the cruisers that are heading east. There is free anchorage with good holding and dinghy dock rates are "just" 100 buck less.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 13:52   #53

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

To the OPs original question. No way in Key West. Been here a week and there hasn't been a day it would have been possible to row in.

it takes 20 min with my 5hp. 30min if into the wind.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 14:32   #54

[QUOT E=travellerw;1969580]To the OPs original question. No way in Key West. Been here a week and there hasn't been a day it would have been possible to row in.

it takes 20 min with my 5hp. 30min if into the wind.[/QUOTE]

just curious where are you located? I am man of war Harbor. certainly today you could not have the road and certainly today you could not have Rowed in
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 17:33   #55

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
[QUOT E=travellerw;1969580]To the OPs original question. No way in Key West. Been here a week and there hasn't been a day it would have been possible to row in.

it takes 20 min with my 5hp. 30min if into the wind.
just curious where are you located? I am man of war Harbor. certainly today you could not have the road and certainly today you could not have Rowed in[/QUOTE]

I'm way out by Fleming Key. I actually came in 3 times today. It was whitecaps this morning. That was a wet ass ride.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 17:46   #56

The OP here. Yeah, decided rowing wasn't viable in the Keys. Actually have a little two stroke outboard now that's working out well.

But I've decided I'm probably not even going to the Keys. Whenever I finally leave here I'm thinking I'll take the Okechobee over to the east coast of Florida and head up the East coast in the Spring.

Tags
anchor, key west