Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2017, 09:11   #16

Re: Is a dinghy a necessity for the ICW?

Always nice to have it and on the ICW you can just tow it if you want. I had a fuel problem right under a bridge once on the ICW, strapped the dingy alongside and powered the mothership to an anchorage.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 09:14   #17

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

I would favor bringing it with you, deflated and rolled up, stick it in the nav berth. It's part of your equipment so why not keep it with the boat.
Old 23-08-2017, 09:17   #18

I purchased a capedory 31 back in 07. Never surveyed so expected issues. Took a 9.5 rib with a 8 hp on davits. The engine quit on me a few times. I used it to tow the boat when there was no wind. (Dirty fuel tank)
Never had to go to a shore. Always anchored over night we're ever I could. This is not your case because it's your boat and you have running properly I would think. A rib and a 8 hp is an overkill. But that's what a had. Good luck.
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 09:33   #19

Boat: Scout 30

The only way to guarantee you'll need it is to not take it.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 10:15   #20

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Absolutely not for a boat of your size. It might be useful if you ground her but you can generally get help from a passing boat. Also, if you pay attention you should not go aground. You must have a great icebox if you can get by with anchoring out 2 nights out of 3 or do you get by on MRE's.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 10:30   #21

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibster View Post
I am looking for some advice from those of you who have experience with the ICW. I am taking my Cape Dory 26 from Annapolis to Charlotte Harbor, FL in October and I am in the final stages of planning and provisioning for the trip.This will be my first foray on the ICW and one of the things I am trying determine is if I really need to take my inflatable dinghy with me. I plan to anchor out most nights and stay overnight at a marina every third day or so. No doubt a dinghy would prove useful, but on the other hand it would take up a lot of room on my foredeck and the dinghy and its 3.5 hp outboard would add a significant amount of weight for a boat of this size. So, if it is simply one of those "nice to have" things instead of a real necessity, I am inclined to leave it at home. Anyway, I would appreciate any guidance you could offer on the subject. Thanks in advance!

I would say necessary. You can trail the dinghy, makes it easier to use and I'm sure you will use it.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 10:37   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Absolutely not for a boat of your size. It might be useful if you ground her but you can generally get help from a passing boat. Also, if you pay attention you should not go aground. You must have a great icebox if you can get by with anchoring out 2 nights out of 3 or do you get by on MRE's.
I do have a very good icebox, but MREs and freeze dried foods will make up the bulk of our meals, supplemented with fresh fruit and vegetables. As I learned in the military, Tabasco sauce makes MREs much more palatable.
Bibster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 10:38   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
The only way to guarantee you'll need it is to not take it.
Believe me, that thought has certainly occurred to me!
Old 23-08-2017, 10:48   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman1 View Post
I've got a 37 Tartan which I've taken up and down the "ditch" a half dozen times now. I've carried an inflatable (deflated) and have yet to use it. That being said, you'll probably use it frequently down in Florida, so you may as well take it with you, even though it does take up valuable space.
I recently bought a house in Punta Gorda, so I am actually taking my boat to the new place and parking it on the boat lift when I am not using it. A dinghy will definitely be useful for exploring the canals around there, but if I don't take it with me on the boat, I can always stick it in the trunk of my car and drive it down later.
Old 23-08-2017, 10:51   #25

I love my dink! She's my connection to all kinds of adventures, fishing, laundry, water, public transportation, wifi, beach parties, cockpit parties, hull cleaning, diving, harbor cruises, booze cruises ... life would be less enjoyable without her.
Gregg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 11:22   #26

If fiberglass, tow it.
If inflatable store it as best you can. Bring outboard.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 12:21   #27

I did the ICW in my 34' trimaran in 2014.

Funny how peoples' needs and experiences differ, but here's my data point: We had a dog. We had a little Avon and a Nissan 3.5. We used them almost every day. Not just for the dog, but there were a million times we were anchored out and wanted to get ashore, say to explore a town or take a walk on an island or to have dinner out. While the need for a motor might seem even more questionable, the rivers and creeks along the magenta line frequently have very strong currents that can make them unrowable. Worst case, you might be able to row ashore but find an hour later that you can't row back (don't ask me how I know!). Our motor weighed less than 30 pounds. You don't have to use the motor every time, but I think it's very valuable to have. I would not do that trip without both.

In terms of towing, we were able to bring the dink up on a net and carry it there. You could probably drag a lightweight inflatable up onto your foredeck easily enough if you adjust the lifeline. Another technique we saw was suspending the dinghy on a bridle alongside the boat, using a spinnaker halyard. (Might have to move some weight to the opposite side for that one.). Or you could simply tow it behind with a short painter and the bow raised out of the water.

Anyway, just my $.02. YMMV!

Best,

Merlin
arthur.watson.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 13:31   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Bibster,

We used to have a roll up dinghy with floorboards. Underway, the floorboards were stored vertically next to the engine box, strapped there, and the dinghy was rolled up then squashed oval and lashed in front of the dodger. It was an about 8 ft. Achilles, and did not much interfere with the view forward.

You won't be trapped on your boat because you have your kayak. If you're using MRE's you will only be buying fresh stuff, and for one person, you can probably carry enough in your kayak and/or backpack. So, make the experiment, and leave it at home.

The worst thing that is likely to happen is you suddenly decide you want a dinghy and buy a used one along the way. Two dinghies allows you to have one for a decoy, and could give you a place off the boat to store the other one while you tow it. If you tow it, use (a) floating line, and (b) rig a drogue for it, so it can't overtake you at speed. Remember to shorten up the line before anchoring or docking.

If you go up on a sand bank, well I guess you'll have to use the kayak for taking out the kedge anchor, if you can't get it off using the engine, or use insurance. What you give up is being in charge of the situation, for being at the mercy of others, who may be too busy just then (so you are harder aground when they get to you).

Myself, I'd find a way to bring the existing dinghy AND it's little motor. I won't cost much, and it'll be where you want it, comes the time, and it's there for backup in the event you might want it, or might want it to help someone else.

Ann
Old 23-08-2017, 14:04   #29

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
With the number of times we ran aground, a dinghy is a necessity unless you like swimming an anchor out to kedge off. ........
Working on your navigating skills might be a good idea.
Old 23-08-2017, 15:40   #30

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Needed - no... desireable - yes. As per the reasons Sailmonkey stated. I think we did the ICW once and never used the dinghy the whole trip but only because we stayed in marinas and free docks in places we wanted to stop and visit.

We have used the dinghy to drop a kedge several times instead of waiting for Sea Tow. It's faster and easier just to get ourselves off - like 15 minutes. It's almost all mud and sand up and down the ICW (with a few notable exceptions) so you are usually fine kedging yourself.
It amazes me you rely on"Sea Tow" When you drop your shore lines you are on your own! Don't expect any help from any one. Make sure you know where you are going, and ETA. Leave your passage plan with (In the UK) the coast guard, and report to the coast guard when you are safe. You are not in a RV you are on a boat!
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, icw