Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2019, 08:23   #16

Re: Insuring Aus registered boat

I am anOzzie and spent three months in Europe. I purchased a car with English rego. Insurance companies would not cover it as I was not a resident and did not have a permanent address in England. May be the same situation for a yacht?
Frank 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:48   #17

Boat: Lagoon 500

I’m with Simi 60, haven’t heard anything about Australian registered vessels requiring Australian insurance company. Just changed my boat to Aussie rego and didn’t see anything about insurance in the registration process..
AndyinAbudhabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 13:09   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Not an expert, not even an Aussie citizen, but I've been a part of the Australian sailing scene for around 25 years and I've never heard that insurance of any sort was required under ships registry here. It may be that IF you want insurance on an Australian vessel it must be written by an Aussie company... that's up to the insurers, isn't it?

Interesting issue, and I hope some authoritative voice emerges.

Jim
Old 11-10-2019, 14:11   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Not an expert, not even an Aussie citizen, but I've been a part of the Australian sailing scene for around 25 years and I've never heard that insurance of any sort was required under ships registry here. It may be that IF you want insurance on an Australian vessel it must be written by an Aussie company... that's up to the insurers, isn't it?

Interesting issue, and I hope some authoritative voice emerges.

Jim

Hi Jim

the problem logic trail is like this

1. To enter France as an Australian on a boat ------ the boat has to be insured

2. To enter France or any other nation from the UK - the boat has to have a flag of somewhere

3. To get insurance with a British company - mostly they like British flagged boats - one could possibly get British insurance with an aussie flagged ship - but, there's been no real need to chase that rabbit hard so far - I have made a few enquires on that, but, the fact that every one of them on the other end of the phone instantly went into an apoplectic fit suggested to me that this would indeed be a hard road to hoe

4. To get British reg. as an Aussie who isn't going to be in the country for +185 days - one cannot - so, Part 111 is out.

5. To get Aussie registered is easy - and, I suspect quite advantageous - but, is isn't cheap (apx. $1500 Au) -

6. With the Aussie ship - there's the biggest problem that I see - the choice of Aussie Insurance companies who will issue cover - it looks like at this stage it comes down to 2 only - as previously mentioned. The first premium in is the highest quote so far - Topsail is still to come.

7. There is the Part 1 option of British -- which?????? might be worth a chasedown - but, it looks like a pain in the r's and I don't know if one could get immediate cover from British insurers before taking over the boat.

One example from a British insurer --

GJW said they would not entertain cover at all unless the ship was British registered ------ now, those words actually mean that registration has already changed hands - because any owner isn't going to sign over registration until the money is paid and the contract settle -

THIS MEANS that the boat is uninsured for the new owner whilst all this admin is settled --------------- NOT an option for me.

It's fun

Thankfully, I have an owner - soon to be ex owner of a boat which the relationship between boat and ex owner is stronger than the best love scene I have ever seen in a movie - the man will see no harm to come to his baby, so, I am fully assured that she is looked after like a newborn until I get there.
He loves the boat so much that I doubt if I will ever truly be the owner - I think he will hold a candle for her for the rest of his life (he has to give her up - it's not something he wants to do).
Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 14:23   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Hmm... interesting issue. I think the OP might have to consider investigating his option 3 (above post #19) if he can't find an Aussie insurer he is happy with.

On the part about getting on the UK register, if the PO wants to pursue that,I suggest the he get some authoritative advice on the Aussie Shipping Act. My understanding (as a layman) is he MUST have it on the Australian register (as posted by Factor in post #11). Foreign registry is not an option for an Australian Citizen. Now I am not an expert but I have read the act several times and it reads that way to me.

And FWIW, there is no mention of any insurance requirements whatsoever in the act - AFAIK.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 14:40   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm... interesting issue. I think the OP might have to consider investigating his option 3 (above post #19) if he can't find an Aussie insurer he is happy with.

On the part about getting on the UK register, if the PO wants to pursue that,I suggest the he get some authoritative advice on the Aussie Shipping Act. My understanding (as a layman) is he MUST have it on the Australian register (as posted by Factor in post #11). Foreign registry is not an option for an Australian Citizen. Now I am not an expert but I have read the act several times and it reads that way to me.

And FWIW, there is no mention of any insurance requirements whatsoever in the act - AFAIK.

"And FWIW, there is no mention of any insurance requirements whatsoever in the act - AFAIK."

hi

insurance isn't an option if one wants to head into France (LT visa) - (I read it somewhere on the entry conditions)

they have a 'must' word in there

also - I not only don't fancy the idea of having a total loss for some reason - but, imagine wacking a big scratch on someones 20 million dollar cruiser as one heads by Monaco or similar?????

no insurance is not a consideration
Old 11-10-2019, 15:02   #22

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

I have a 36 foot yacht here in Tasmania and a 42 foot yacht in Greece. Both are Australian Registered.
Both are insured through Edward William.
https://edwardwilliam.com/
Been with them for more than 10 years, no claim.
Satisfies the authorities in Greece with a "Foreign Certificate" supplied by Edward William.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 15:23   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprice View Post
I have a 36 foot yacht here in Tasmania and a 42 foot yacht in Greece. Both are Australian Registered.
Satisfies the authorities in Greece with a "Foreign Certificate" supplied by Edward William.

thanks ----------- have sent online request for quote
Old 11-10-2019, 15:26   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprice View Post

hi Pat

I am in Devonport - I am coming to Hobart Tuesday and returning Wednesday - if you think it's of value and would be happy to catch up with me - please let me know.
I will be coming down on the bus but, I can move around Hobart easily.

tia

Pinto
Old 11-10-2019, 15:45   #25

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Whatever you do, do not insure with the problematic Pantaenious people.
On the 2nd of Dec 2018 my boat was knockdown on the slips by a boat next to me both boats suffered major damage. The fellow who was insured with Pantaenious had nothing but major issues with is insurer. Frankly I can't speak for him but witnessed firsthand and was affected by questionable behaver of this insurance company dealings with him as their advice was to get a lawyer. This advice delayed settlement by 3 months as a result indireclty I ended up mixed up in this mess created by bad advice which I viewed as a miss direction by Pantaenious.

In my case the sailing club admitted liability and their insurance company Liberty insurance appointed an assessor I found them faultless we worked hand in hand (email to email) in assessing the damage and my boat is now fully rebuild cost over 150K plus the extra cost of 11 months of living in a hotel while my boat was rebuild. By Careel Bay Marine Services did a wondeerful job with a very difficalt repair and mast rebuild and rerigged in Dyneema by Peter Greig he is a master rigger in my book.

See attachments,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
Good morning all,

Apologies if this has been done to death somewhere else - I have read some insurance threads, but, they haven't covered my situation.

I am going to register a boat which is in England as an Australian registered ship/boat. The owner (me) is Australian.

I am asking people if they know of any Australian companies who will insure an Australian registered boat -

my preferance is for an Australian company - but, not necessarily so - so, if you are insured with an overseas company for an Aussie boat - please let me know also.

doesn't really matter if they are Aussie or English or somewhere else

I have so far only one taker in Australia - Pantaenious - but, it's the highest quote I have got - unfortuately, the only quote I have got as an Aussie boat.

So - can anyone give some names of companies please - please forget suggestions if you don't know if they do or don't - like eg. Club Marine - because many of them just won't do it at all.

The boat has recent survey and the skipper has never had a claim in 45 years experience, non smoker, drinker no drugs.

the boat will be in UK waters, internal and coastal Europe

We are only talking about a small boat - 26 foot motorsailer, value 10,000 pounds -------- so far the quote is over $800 - which I thought was high.

thanks all

have a great day.

ps, if you are wondering why I don't keep it British - I will not comply to be on the SSR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RPAYC Dec 2nd Sko Knock Down 2018 (19).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	201337   Click image for larger version

Name:	RPAYC Dec 2nd Sko Knock Down 2018 (14).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	201338  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sko-Re-launched 26-7-19- 2 (114).jpg
Views:	132
Size:	474.9 KB
ID:	201339  
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 15:47   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
Whatever you do, do not insure with the problematic Pantaenious people.
On the 2nd of Dec 2018 my boat was knockdown on the slips by a boat next to me both boats suffered major damage. The fellow who was insured with Pantaenious had nothing but major issues with is insurer. Frankly I can't speak for him but witnessed firsthand and was affected by questionable behaver of this insurance company dealings with him as their advice was to get a lawyer. This advice delayed settlement by 3 months as a result indireclty I ended up mixed up in this mess created by bad advice which I viewed as a miss direction by Pantaenious.

In my case the sailing club admitted liability and their insurance company Liberty insurance appointed an assessor I found them faultless we worked hand in hand (email to email) in assessing the damage and my boat is now fully rebuild cost over 150K plus the extra cost of 11 months of living in a hotel while my boat was rebuild. By Careel Bay Marine Services did a wondeerful job with a very difficalt repair and mast rebuild and rerigged in Dyneema by Peter Greig he is a master rigger in my book.

See attachments,

do you always park like that????

seriously - thanks for your comment
Old 11-10-2019, 15:59   #27

Try Edward William Marine. English, based in Spain,but have been a savior for many Queenslanders having to deal with QLD specific requirements.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 16:38   #28

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

It amazes me how people still suggest Edward Williams/northern reef on these forums.
Do some research, no shortage of bad stuff on the webs, they are on British scam registries and several marinas in Australia are refusing to accept their "paper".

We have a 60ft timber vessel and they were prepared to take our money.
No survey needed, didn't even want to see a picture of the vessel , just send the money told me all I needed to know about the value of their " paper"..
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 16:45   #29

Boat: Herreshoff Nereia H36
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanshoretiga

There must be a reason nobody has mentioned Club Marine. I've been with this company forever, it seems and the two claims I had were easily settled. I've gone overseas under Club Marine insurance for a short trip (to Bali and back) so don't have any knowledge of longer term insurance.

Good luck finding the right package. Jim
oceanshoretiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 16:49   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanshoretiga View Post
There must be a reason nobody has mentioned Club Marine. I've been with this company forever, it seems and the two claims I had were easily settled. I've gone overseas under Club Marine insurance for a short trip (to Bali and back) so don't have any knowledge of longer term insurance.

Good luck finding the right package. Jim

hi Jim

they were the first Aussie one I rang --

flat out 'no' 'we don't do that'

Tags
boat