Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2014, 10:48   #16

Boat: Contest 36'
Re: Ibiza!

Ibiza is out of order expensive because it is is loaded with rich British kids and their bars and loud, really loud music. The marinas cater to the mega yacht types, not sailors. The anchoring field isn't even a convenient dinghy ride away, and it is primarily a grass bottom. Any wind at all and it's trouble in there with boats crashing into each other.

San Antonio is an equally party-oriented town, but great for anchoring.

You can hear the low end music from both of these towns from 10 miles off of the island.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:26   #17

Boat: Hanse 385

Thanks for all the great info, we've put together a plan and sail over tomorrow from mainland Spain.

I'll report back on what we find!

www.sailing-interlude.com
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:59   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

keep a good eye on the weather if in exposed anchorages, mistrals and tramontanas,can really ruin your day.

signs are crystal clear visibility,once you see alto cirrus clouds expect 30-40 knots from the nw within half an hour or so.
this occurs as an area of high or low pressure air enters the biscay,which funnels into the gulf d' lion
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:13   #19

Just chartered there with 3 boats a few weeks ago. The only halfway affordable marina was Sant Eulalia, but we ended up anchoring or grabbing a ball every night. Highlight would definitely be s'Espalmador & Illetes on Formentera. I was told reserving the balls is pointless, as the reservations aren't enforced. Arrive reasonably early and pay if a guy shows up to charge you... We had good anchoring in force 3-5 winds in Talamanca, Illetes and Jondal. Also for anchoring you need to be reasonably early to get a comfortable spot. At Jondal one of our boats was a bit too far out of the bay, and bumpyness was a crapload worse...
SebastianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 04:38   #20

Boat: Hanse 385

Hello all,

Just wanted to report back on this thread and thank everyone for the wonderful advise. We used a lot of the info in here and had a wonderful time sailing around Ibiza. Didn't need to visit a marina once (apart from San An for 30mins to fill up with water).

The costs are truly staggering. The cheapest quote we got for our 11.3m boat was 200 euro for one night!

I know I'm not allowed to post links to personal websites but we did do a write up of the whole trip on our blog (link below). I hope it's ok to mention this as it might be good (current) info for others who might be searching and heading there.

Thanks again!

Simon

www.sailing-interlude.com
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote