Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2022, 20:38   #31
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Hookah System?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian007 View Post
What brand is he using?
A Puma 12-volt hotdog compressor. Around $300-$350 all over the internet.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:40   #32

I have a like-new Hookamax for sale... $400
henrythorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:45   #33

Boat: Nordhavn 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
Can anyone recommend a hookah system that I can use when diving on my hull that is safe and reliable and doesn't cost a fortune? Does such a system exist? Thank you in advance for your input.

Ron
I use a 50’ regulator & hose connected to a tank I throw in the dingy. Sometimes I just secure the tank to the back of the boat. Tank lasts a long time given the shallow depths.
Pspowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:08   #34

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pspowers View Post
I use a 50’ regulator & hose connected to a tank I throw in the dingy. Sometimes I just secure the tank to the back of the boat. Tank lasts a long time given the shallow depths.

First, welcome to the forum. I think for the DIY person, your set-up is the way to go. If you have a hobby as a diver then the expense is minimal.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:39   #35
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
First, welcome to the forum. I think for the DIY person, your set-up is the way to go. If you have a hobby as a diver then the expense is minimal.
As with most things boating- everything is a compromise. Tanks are heavy, take up a LOT of space and require regular fills, hydros and visual inspections. A 12-volt hookah is none of those things. And DIY'd with quality components, they are every bit as safe and reliable as anything you can buy from the best retailers, despite your protestations to the contrary. Yes, a setup based on a scuba tank (actually not a hookah at all but rather a "snuba") is simple. But that doesn't make it the best answer for everybody.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:39   #36

I use a dive tank with 40’ hose and regulator from dive shop also the dive shop is the only thing got new and tank and regulator are used
Seadaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:04   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
Can anyone recommend a hookah system that I can use when diving on my hull that is safe and reliable and doesn't cost a fortune? Does such a system exist? Thank you in advance for your input.

Ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
As with most things boating- everything is a compromise. Tanks are heavy, take up a LOT of space and require regular fills, hydros and visual inspections. A 12-volt hookah is none of those things. And DIY'd with quality components, they are every bit as safe and reliable as anything you can buy from the best retailers, despite your protestations to the contrary. Yes, a setup based on a scuba tank (actually not a hookah at all but rather a "snuba") is simple. But that doesn't make it the best answer for everybody.

I think the original post was more of a "dive on my hull occasionally". I responded to Ppowers post who shared his method. If a person is diving on their hull every few months, there is not going to be a big inconvenience of setting up a tank. As the OP stated...he was also looking for something cheap. As you mentioned yourself earlier in the thread, cheap compressors are not the way to go.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 08-04-2022, 08:11   #38
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
As the OP stated...he was also looking for something cheap.
He didn't say cheap. He asked for something that doesn't "cost a fortune." What's expensive to you isn't necessarily expensive to him. And nowhere does he mention that he's a certified scuba diver, another requirement needed to fill tanks.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:26   #39

Quote:
Breathing air hose should be designed for that purpose (and yours is not.) There is a mil-spec for breathing air hose for a reason. God only knows what you're getting breathing through pneumatic tool hose.
And then there's the issue of what sort of aerosols and gasses the compressor is adding to the breathing mix - things that are irritating at sea level and toxic at pressure (though, admittedly, you'll not be going very deep on this system). Do you know what lubricants to use when maintaining it? How about relative position of this (or any other) exhaust relative to the air intake?

How about training to avoid barotrauma if the compressor stops feeding you air?

etc. etc. etc.

Basically pointing out that there are devils in the details, some of which are deadly. It's not as simple as "buy some unknown compressor, make an adapter, and hook it up to a regulator."
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:33   #40

Quote:
He didn't say cheap. He asked for something that doesn't "cost a fortune." What's expensive to you isn't necessarily expensive to him. And nowhere does he mention that he's a certified scuba diver, another requirement needed to fill tanks.

Geeeez Matt...Do you have to turn everything into I'm right and everyone else is wrong? You have an opinion, I have an opinion. This is just a forum for people to share and learn from.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:35   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyKlop View Post
And then there's the issue of what sort of aerosols and gasses the compressor is adding to the breathing mix - things that are irritating at sea level and toxic at pressure (though, admittedly, you'll not be going very deep on this system). Do you know what lubricants to use when maintaining it? How about relative position of this (or any other) exhaust relative to the air intake?

How about training to avoid barotrauma if the compressor stops feeding you air?

etc. etc. etc.

Basically pointing out that there are devils in the details, some of which are deadly. It's not as simple as "buy some unknown compressor, make an adapter, and hook it up to a regulator."

Old 08-04-2022, 08:43   #42

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Ive been a NAUI Scuba instructor for years. While most my dives have been compressed dead dry air. I’ve breathed mixed gases heliox and Nitrox.
There are a number of things a good scuba tank compressor or deck compressor do.
Some of my students would show up with Costco masks and I refuse them entry with it. It’s a facade and really dangerous
I suggest a pony bottle a proper regulator. Asafety line with a trained partner or buddy a meter away. Aluminum pony bottles are cheap and you can sling on a BCD
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:45   #43
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Geeeez Matt...Do you have to turn everything into I'm right and everyone else is wrong? You have an opinion, I have an opinion. This is just a forum for people to share and learn from.
Yes, but you're arguing that DIY hookahs are inherently dangerous. That simply isn't the case and that needs to be stated. Further, you also assumed that you know the OP's mind as regards what he wants to use and what he wants to spend. I'm sorry if my countering your points upsets you.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:57   #44

Quote:
Yes, but you're arguing that DIY hookahs are inherently dangerous. That simply isn't the case and that needs to be stated. Further, you also assumed that you know the OP's mind as regards what he wants to use and what he wants to spend. I'm sorry if my countering your points upsets you.

Not sure where you were reading into anything I said that DIY hookahs were dangerous. You stated..."These guys opted to buy the cheapest Chinese-built POS compressors they could lay their hands on". And I would agree that. A person should buy quality parts if they are going the DIY route.
I was merely supporting the opinion of Ppowers post that he uses a scuba tank and 50ft. air line.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:59   #45
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Not sure where you were reading into anything I said that DIY hookahs were dangerous.
Gee, I dunno... maybe the "$20 helmets for $20 heads" comment?