Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2020, 14:46   #46

Re: Hello and General Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouK View Post
Wine, my mates favorite libation
And of course, patience
Well, I stopped drinking a few years ago...medical reasons; but, the wife still does. And patience...We've had plenty of practice. But, we understand more trying times will come and we'll do our best to overcome and still see this world.

GIB!!!
GibbyGibstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 14:50   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawtty View Post
Similar to HANKASAIL.
You are out there and something needs doing. It is up to you to manage it.
You can't sail into a servo and say 'fix it'.
You are best to be a Jack of All Trades.
I like to think I've had a lot of experiences which would qualify me as that...just add Master of None. I know I don't know everything...but I'm willing to learn from those who know better...those people will out number me for years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
Take a safety at Sea course preferably with the Storm trisail foundation. It’s a mandatory pre requisite for partisans in off shore races but it’s great hands on training. You will walk away with an agenda of drills to practice and an understanding of what to do when the day takes a turn. The ASA classes are good but the stuff you practice at safety at sea is life saving🙏🏻.
Brilliant idea. We'll look in to it.

Thanks, GIB!!!
GibbyGibstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 15:07   #48

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyGibstone View Post
I talked to my wife about this and she was all 'yeah schatz...al'right. Whatever you say.' When I went to her and said, "Hey, I signed us up for the ASA-101 course.", she lost it. She asked if I had lost my mind and if was serious and I said without a thought..."Probably" and "AS A HEART ATTACK!"

I gave her an 'out' during each phase of our ASA classes. If she decided during any class that this was not for her and she wanted to quit...then just say the word, and we'll stop and figure something else out. But, after the first three ASA courses...she wants more.

This all started with her father passing and me feeling tired of simply existing. She likes everything to do with the water, but we've never lived near it. I also never found a goal once I retired from the military. Now, this gives us something to do together that I know she'll love and it gives me a goal to work towards.

GIB!!!

Sounds like you guys will be just fine!
Old 25-05-2020, 07:00   #49

Nobody wants to be the putz making an obvious mistake, in a predicament, or generally floundering about while a bunch of other experienced boaters look on, snicker, sneer or take a picture.

But someday it will be your turn! (Me: forgot drain plug, rowing fast in sinking dinghy, main caught in lazy jacks...)

ADVICE: (1) Ignore them! (2) tell your wife you meant to do that! (3) never give up.
loneshark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 07:06   #50

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyGibstone View Post
Hi everyone. Thank you for letting my wife and I in to the forums. Right now, our dream to go sailing is under way. We have a lot of the leg work in the purchase of our boat done and are simply a survey/sea trial away. Hopefully in a little more than a month, we'll be bringing her home.

I do have a general all-inclusive question for the seasoned sailors and or motorboat owners out there...if you care to take a moment to answer.

The Question: In your experiences, what is the single most important thing you would say has helped you during your on-water life?

This question is VERY open ended. One might say "This tool is it" or "I had this training once, and have used it every day since" or "a good sailing buddy" or "my boat (duh!)" or or or...I could go on. Any ONE thing you think has been the best thing or been the most beneficial. I realize most if not all would say there is not one thing...but, please humor me/us and choose one of the multitude of things you have on your mind.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate all replies.

Thanks, GIB!!!
Not to take anything away from the lovely people on this forum, but I would say that the single biggest thing is reading books on virtually every sailing/cruising related topic that you can find. Opinions are great, but facts are better
Related to that would be doing my best to learn the skills needed to repair every single item onboard, and avoiding unnecessary items or those that aren't user-serviceable.

Not saying that you need to teach yourself service electronics, even if you can, carrying every conceivable spare part to fix them would be impractical, but you should know what your plan is if an electronic item fails, and have a back up for it if failure would mean disaster.
Old 25-05-2020, 07:24   #51

Knowledge doesn't weigh anything, and neither do ebooks
Old 25-05-2020, 07:33   #52

Know as much as you can about how your boat handles and how everything works. The people that know how to come into a dock regardless of the weather, current, etc to how your boat will react when you use your motor. Same goes when you are anchoring.

As others have said know your boats systems so you can maintain them. Regularly scheduled maintenance will not only lowers costs but it will reduce the possibility of failure at the worst time.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 08:33   #53

Boat: Nauticat 43

Within the context of a lifestyle of hardship and danger, ensure she is safe and has fun.
Old 25-05-2020, 10:51   #54

Have both of you do the training and learn all the skills. I tend to do the engine maintenance but my wife had the training and can do it.

I sent her to get her Uk yacht master to give her confidence. I’m one step down in qualifications.

Then sail with as many people as you can. Everyone has something to teach you. Even bad experiences have lessons.
petermjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 11:08   #55

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

A willing partner.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 11:21   #56

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

Everyone has something to teach you. Even bad experiences have lessons.[/QUOTE]

Boy are you right!

I'll never take on a crew that left a previous boat under "Unusual Circumstances" even if he can explain it away!
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 11:43   #57

Boat: Leopard 40

Take all the sailing advice, but the most important thing is yours and your wife's relationship with each other. Thirty-eight years ago, when my husband and I started dating he said he wanted to retire on a sailboat. I agreed. It was something that separately we'd each wanted to do. There was only one problem. I'd lived on a boat and had some sailing experience. He never had. After 3 years he wanted to go back to work. So, I said yes. As far as I'm concerned the only good thing about him working is that I get to do more stuff for the boat. When he finished this job in another 2 years, we've agreed to be on land for 6 months and on the water for six months.

I miss being on the boat. I miss sailing and being at anchor. My point is you have to take into consideration that one of you might change his or her mind.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 17:22   #58

I think the most important thing is when things go wrong not to panic but break down the problem piece by piece, then try to resolve it. Sailing can be like that, great one moment and a disaster the next.
Hugo B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 01:23   #59

Boat: Ocean Spirit 34 - Catamaran

When cruising .... LET THE WEATHER SET YOUR TIMETABLE AND ITINERARY.

ie Don't fight the weather ... work with it
Kurlie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 06:48   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurlie1 View Post
When cruising .... LET THE WEATHER SET YOUR TIMETABLE AND ITINERARY.

ie Don't fight the weather ... work with it
Agreed. That's part of the reason charter boats so often get into trouble, they let money set their sailing plans rather than the weather.