Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2016, 02:11   #16

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Harbor Watch

Its a great idea and its not expensive. All you need is a 24 hour internet access. There are lots across australia. Becoming quite popular.

It could be sold to a marina as a security benefit as well as a customer benefit.

I set five camera's up around our primary school farm so i could monitor the property from home. It worked a treat until our school changed internet providers a couple years ago and i havnt set it up since.

But damn good idea. Might even suggest it to our yacht club where my boat is moored.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 04:58   #17

Boat: Tayana 37

Interesting concept. Salem Mass harbor had a few live video feeds during the last big Nor'easter in Oct, 2014. Visibility was pretty much zero throughout the storm. I called the marina several times during the storm and the folks had no idea what was going on in the mooring field. My boat was fine in the aftermath of the storm but several boat broke free and smashed themselves to bits on the jetty. Point is, video and live accounts provided no status information.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
tmcdonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 06:56   #18

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Lots of harbors, marinas, restaurants, municipalities, etc have web cams. There are sites which list them. Google is your friend.

But the reason I'm posting is to point out one expense that's been addressed rather dismissively here: Internet access.

Our own marina has security cameras which could easily be connected to the marina's LAN and, through that, be accessible over the Internet. But we all share one business-class cable connection to the Internet. Already just a few members streaming video can kill the whole thing. The last thing we want is a bunch of members keeping 8 streaming video cameras displaying at their desk all day at work, or at home all night!

I know the OP was about general harbor overviews, but since we already went there, I'll mention that our system has not been universally well received. While everyone understands the need for security, not everyone is thrilled with the idea of having their every movement on the docks, around the yard or in their boats recorded. It just has an uncomfortable, Orwellian feeling, even if you're not doing anything wrong.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 09:27   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Lots of harbors, marinas, restaurants, municipalities, etc have web cams. There are sites which list them. Google is your friend.

But the reason I'm posting is to point out one expense that's been addressed rather dismissively here: Internet access.

Our own marina has security cameras which could easily be connected to the marina's LAN and, through that, be accessible over the Internet. But we all share one business-class cable connection to the Internet. Already just a few members streaming video can kill the whole thing. The last thing we want is a bunch of members keeping 8 streaming video cameras displaying at their desk all day at work, or at home all night!

I know the OP was about general harbor overviews, but since we already went there, I'll mention that our system has not been universally well received. While everyone understands the need for security, not everyone is thrilled with the idea of having their every movement on the docks, around the yard or in their boats recorded. It just has an uncomfortable, Orwellian feeling, even if you're not doing anything wrong.
I did not envision the cams as recording devices... although video can be made from the streams...

It was more like having a live google earth view (from lower) and better resolution than Google Earth can provide.

I don't care for the invasion of privacy one bit and so I don't see the resolution as being super hi res... just enough to read boat names and see mooring lines and so forth...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 10:14   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I did not envision the cams as recording devices... although video can be made from the streams...

It was more like having a live google earth view (from lower) and better resolution than Google Earth can provide.

I don't care for the invasion of privacy one bit and so I don't see the resolution as being super hi res... just enough to read boat names and see mooring lines and so forth...
'Invasion of privacy' concerns are an American drama, from people watching too much tv

Marina's are either privately owned and therefor it's up to the owners to give their consent, or their public places, in which case what's the problem? If your in a public place you should expect there is a camera of some sorts operwting everywhere

The OP's suggestion id love to keep an eye on my girl at her moaring. Im going to suggest it to our club
Old 26-03-2016, 12:16   #21

If there were an individual berth-holder access code required to view the webcam outputs then I'd accept that could improve security - if the bandwidth could support everyone watching 24/7.

If every outboard-thieving retard on line can see that you've just left your boat and you're dressed up for a Saturday night on the town?

Maybe not.
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 12:46   #22
cruiser

They have/had harbor cams in Boot Key Harbor Fla.

When I anchored my boat and lived on land last summer, it of course didn't work half the time so I'd have to call friends to check on my vessel...

But then when I moved back aboard, I was in the front row of the mooring field next to the channel with homes on the other side I found out the home owner in front of me had a cam pointed my way as he saw me and the neighbor lady having sex on deck and complained to the dock master like he was gonna prevent this?

Home owner's cam also caught me Paddleboarding naked once...however when some Midwesterner who moved to the harbor was intentionally, on occasion running over my mooring ball pennant with his dink/outboard trying to cut my vessel loose; same home owner wouldn't cooperate sharing the cams recorded footage???

I prefer less intrusive environments...where others don't have opportunity to "spy or stalk" others...sloppy joes in KW has cam facing the stage, been caught dancing/smooching/groping tourist women by a local woman I was dating then as this possessive woman felt we had an exclusive relationship which we didn't.
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 12:55   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jer View Post

When I anchored my boat and lived on land last summer, it of course didn't work half the time so I'd have to call friends to check on my vessel...

But then when I moved back aboard, I was in the front row of the mooring field next to the channel with homes on the other side I found out the home owner in front of me had a cam pointed my way as he saw me and the neighbor lady having sex on deck and complained to the dock master like he was gonna prevent this?

Home owner's cam also caught me Paddleboarding naked once...however when some Midwesterner who moved to the harbor was intentionally, on occasion running over my mooring ball pennant with his dink/outboard trying to cut my vessel loose; same home owner wouldn't cooperate sharing the cams recorded footage???

I prefer less intrusive environments...where others don't have opportunity to "spy or stalk" others...sloppy joes in KW has cam facing the stage, been caught dancing/smooching/groping tourist women by a local woman I was dating then as this possessive woman felt we had an exclusive relationship which we didn't.
Wow Sailor Jer, you're such a stud.

You're my hero
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 13:38   #24

Boat: Catalina 387

I'd like to have a cam in my harbor to check on my boat.

When I'm going to Avalon I check Mount Ada Cam | Visit Catalina Island to see how crowded it is.

There's one a Two Harbors too: Two Harbors Webcam | Live Views of Catalina Island | Visit Catalina Island
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 13:52   #25

What about when you need it most?

During a huge storm...at night.

Not going to see a thing when it rains or after sunset.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 15:04   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jer View Post

Im a little mystified at the intent or even the point of your post