Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2010, 04:09   #1

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Guam ?

Anyone familiar with sailing in Guam? A freind is moving there and said he is having difficulty locating any boats for sail there. Is it a good area for sailing?

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 05:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Located approximately 3,300 miles West of Hawaii, 1,500 miles East of the Philippines and 1,550 miles South of Japan, Guam has a population of under 200,000 people. How much/many of anything should we expect to find in this small, remote island?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 05:26   #3

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
There's a pretty sizeable port in Guam, so I'd be surprised if there were no facilities for sailing. Guam is like "Hawaii-lite". It has lots of hotels and resorts, and is very popular with Japanese tourists, especially those who can't afford Hawaii.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 06:30   #4
jkd

There was a poster here before (shadowwolf or shadowrwolf I think) that was stationed there and purchased a 24 footer that needed severe re-work but he ended up selling it half way through re-fit due to time, money or transfer out. He eluded that the pickings were pretty slim for buying boats and parts.
There is a yacht club in the main harbor so you may want to google them and contact for info.
The Naval Base may have something through special services for rentals or lessons (don't know for sure but many bases do)
Try to locate the previous poster's threads and maybe pm him for more info.
Any more info I can give you is 30 years old (last time I was there).

John
jkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 07:02   #5

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
A few weeks ago in the US Congress the possibility of Guam capsizing came up with the deployment of more troops and families to the island. Perhaps nobody there wants to let go of their sailboat/liferaft... ;-)

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 07:17   #6

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
G- give
U-us
A-American
M-money
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 09:15   #7

Boat: private yacht always moving
Quote:
Originally Posted by svcambria View Post
A few weeks ago in the US Congress the possibility of Guam capsizing came up with the deployment of more troops and families to the island. Perhaps nobody there wants to let go of their sailboat/liferaft... ;-)

Michael
I DID NOT VOTE FOR HIM,,, AND YOU WONDER WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE ECONOMY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 10:10   #8

Boat: Tartan T4400
There is not much sailing in Guam. The Marianas Yacht is small no pier you have to anchor out. The Navy Marina has mabe 20 slips. There is a Marina in Agat not sur eif there is a waiting list. A small marina in Agana. It is in the middle of the typhoon belt.
The diving is good also fishing can bee good,
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 10:21   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
That’s certainly a humorous video clip.

Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) appears to be afraid that the U.S. Territory of Guam is going to "tip over and capsize" due to overpopulation."
Adm. Robert Willard, who commands the Navy's Pacific Fleet, paused and said: "We don't anticipate that." I think that the Admiral is the master of understatement.

Johnson later claimed that he was only speaking metaphorically*.

* “I wasn’t suggesting that the island of Guam would literally tip over I was using a metaphor to say that with the addition of 8,000 Marines and their dependents – an additional 80,000 people during peak construction on the tiny island with a population of 180,000 – could be a tipping point which could adversely affect the island’s fragile ecosystem and could overburden its stressed infrastructure. Having traveled to Guam last year, I saw firsthand how this beautiful – but vulnerable island – could easily become overburdened, and I was simply voicing my concerns that the addition of that many people could tip the delicate balance and do permanent harm to Guam.”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 11:37   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
dayummmm..here i was lengthening my lines for the tidal wave......LOL!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 14:50   #11

Boat: CSY 44 Walk Through
I have been to Guam many times and was stationed there for almost a year after 9-11. There are a couple of sailboats there in the marina but they are neglected and forgotten. The harbour on the naval base, Agana has to be accessed through Apra harbour which is now restricted and cannot be accessed by anyone without military clearance.
Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) is an idiot! The reason there is an influx of people there is that the Air Force might be stationing a squadron of bombers there. They ARE stationing a wing of KC-135R model tankers there. Japan also finally told the U.S. government that if they didn't move the marines who were causing all the problems with the locals they would kick all military off of Okinawa. So the marines are moving to the south side of the island on the naval installation there. Guam has been rediscovered by the U.S. military after Vietnam
WD
IceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 15:16   #12

Boat: Tartan T4400
You only need a permit to get in to the navy marina. The navy marina has maybe 15 slip that are med oor type. Apra harbor is also the commercial port. Marianas Yacht Club is on Apra harbor they do not have any piers and there are about a dozen boats anchored neary by. There are many commercial dive boats diving in Apra harbor one of the best dives is Gab Gab beach which is a navy neach. Atlantis submarines operates at least one boat on the reef.
The marines will all be at Andersen AFB on the North end of the Island.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Guam