Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2009, 19:46   #31
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
Since I'm against downloading anything and simply running it just to see what it does or to see if I want to use it or not, perhaps a program description could be created and posted so that potential users can read the description, see exactly what the program does (no longer just a .bat file apparently), where the program/scripts take the weather data from, and whether or not a user wants to use the program before downloading and installing it on their computer.
(I'm assuming that it data mines weather info from various internet sources and compiles it into a window for the user.)
Not Sure,

Sorry you're Not Sure about using this program ;-) I think I did some hefty typing about it already in an earlier post but you are correct that it is minimal compared to other programs. But you must realize that I am not trying to sell you something, I'm just throwing a very useful program at the community here for free.

The program does exactly the same as the script, but it is much faster and should work on every Windows version (when we finally get it to work at all ;-) So you can choose yourself which weather files you want to gather from the Internet, but I filled the database with 14 sources which are very usefull for the tropical north atlantic / caribbean. They are two NOAA text forecasts plus the complete set of weatherfaxes as transmitted by the USCG station in New Orleans. These weatherfaxes also come from the NOAA. These are the faxes that roll out of real weatherfax machines aboard or that you can download via Winlink or SailMail.

After you edit the database, you can click the download button and the program downloads it all, puts it in a sub-folder and opens that folder in a windows explorer window for you. The folders are named with the date and time of the download so every download gets it's own folder so you can compare, save or delete old forecasts as you wish.

Also, you don't have to install it. If you download it to a folder on your desktop or in "My Documents" or even an USB memory stick, you can unzip it and just run it. It's a very small and simple program. If you don't like it you can just remove it. The program doesn't touch your registry.
If you put it on a memory stick, it never touches your hard disk either.

cheers!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 19:51   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marujo.sortudo View Post
Bingo. Works now.
HA! Great! ;-))))

Of course you are going to post a list of bugs now ;-)

ciao!
Nick.
Old 29-11-2009, 20:02   #33

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
HA! Great! ;-))))

Of course you are going to post a list of bugs now ;-)
Ah, but of course! Here's two already!

1. The download list pane doesn't resize properly when the window is maximized (it gets taller than the visible area, disappearing below the log display)

2. Weird repaint issues happen in the db grid when adding rows and then scrolling up.
marujo.sortudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 20:17   #34

Still, works good enough on the download. Separate question: Where's the best place to find a list of useful images for the North Atlantic. I'm totally confused by the lists I've found so far.

NEVERMIND: I seem to have found it:

http://weather.noaa.gov/fax/marsh.shtml
Old 29-11-2009, 20:35   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Indeed. This is the overall page for all regions:

Marine Radiofax charts

cheers,
Nick.
Old 29-11-2009, 21:08   #36

Thanks Nick! This is awesome, one of those really simple tools that is SOO handy

It runs fine on Vista 32.
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 21:55   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
1. The download list pane doesn't resize properly when the window is maximized (it gets taller than the visible area, disappearing below the log display)
Simply fixed by not allowing resize anymore ;-) It'll be in the next update.

Quote:
2. Weird repaint issues happen in the db grid when adding rows and then scrolling up.
yes uhmmm... I thought I could get away with just dropping that DbGrid component in the form and associating it with the Dbase... not a single statement coded for that ;-) I think it worked at first so it might be the index sorting on filename that the stupid grid can't handle. I'll see if I can find a better component on the Net for that.

Actually, the only thing I actually coded is what happens when you press the download button. The rest was all done with just the "visual studio" in FreePascal.... merely playing with the mouse. That used to be different in "my time" ;-)

So for now, just do ctrl-home or that "first record" speed button when it happens. I think for most users once the data is entered they will almost never use that part again. Also, scrolling with the mouse wheel works fine most of the time while using the arrow-keys on the keyboard gives trouble when scrolling past the last record. But I think most can live with this bug.

A question: if you have a nice database for your area, could you publish that? I'll make a homepage for the app and list contributed databases there so that cruisers can easily pick one for their area.

p.s. Did you add the daily Dilbert cartoon in the db already? ;-)
cheers,
Nick.
Old 30-11-2009, 19:55   #38

Boat: 1973 Ericson 27
Quote:
They tell me it must work on Windows 7 in both 32- and 64-bit! So, I got to think that maybe the code-optimizations are the culprit. I re-compiled without the optimizations and I have good hopes this version will work on Windows7:

http://www.sv-jedi.org/sv_jedi/WxDow...stribution.zip

I also made some other changes: you can now exit the program while a download is in progress. A warning pops up asking if you're sure. This is useful when your Internet connection is down or troubled.

I did some bug fixes that nobody noticed and changed the version number to 2.01.

ciao!
Nick.
Great job Nick! This version runs perfectly on Vista 64. I like the new interface as well.

Thanks for the cool contribution!
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 20:22   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Okay, so we have confirmation for XP, Vista 32 and Vista 64 and of course Windows 7 32-bit. So the only one missing is Windows 7 64-bit.... anyone?

I am considering dropping the SSL support (for secure https) so we don't need the two dll's anymore. I can't come up with a reason for keeping it in because all the stuff we want to download with this program is on regular http I think... is it?

cheers,
Nick.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:36   #40

Dropping the SSL support sounds fine by me. How about replacing the DB with a text file/memo edit of the format:

[filename]=[url]

That DB has more than repaint issues. It's been corrupting my DB and losing rows somehow. Plus, the repaint issues combining with the auto-sorting make editing just about impossible for me.
Old 01-12-2009, 13:31   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

New version is on-line and I think I got all the bugs worked out. I also did some changes related to use on netbooks (small screen) but don't have access to one now to test that. I now try to center the app on the screen and made the window smaller than 800 pix wide so I guess it'll be good.

The SSL support is dropped so the two dll's are gone. Makes it a bit quicker too.

Also, I will stop with posting direct links because I want to be able to control which file is downloaded in real time. So, I put a real big link right under the banner of our blog: s/v Jedi

@marujo: You'll have a harder time finding bugs now ;-) But if your database is corrupted you might have trouble on that front. You could delete it before starting the new version (resulting in a fresh, empty database) or use some dbase app to fix it (anything that can do dbase like OpenOffice, MS Office etc.)

Unless more bugs come up I'll rest a bit now ;-) Later, I plan to finally make a menu with the option to create & open multiple database files so I can include databases for every region.

Have fun!
Nick.
Old 01-12-2009, 14:25   #42

Quote:
... and I think I got all the bugs worked out.
And I thought you were an experienced programmer...

Seems pretty usable now. I've got the start of a NW Atlantic DB. I like the DB switching idea. Here's a couple more ideas:

1. Progress bar stalls after download (didn't hard code the total # of items, did we? I would NEVER do such a thing )

2. Wouldn't it be nice to automatically convert UNIX/Mac line-endings to DOS ones for .txt files? The .rtf trick you used brings up an annoying Word conversion dialog for me.

3. It really doesn't like it when I put bad filename chars in the filenames and then Run Download. Of course, I would never do that
Old 01-12-2009, 15:26   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
And I thought you were an experienced programmer...
used to be ;-)

Quote:
1. Progress bar stalls after download (didn't hard code the total # of items, did we? I would NEVER do such a thing )
It actually works... should progress all the way to the end but I just leave it there until the next download or next program start, instead of resetting it. I'll change that.

Quote:
2. Wouldn't it be nice to automatically convert UNIX/Mac line-endings to DOS ones for .txt files? The .rtf trick you used brings up an annoying Word conversion dialog for me.
Ha! That trick only cost me 1 second ;-) You can get around that annoying word dialog too by using wordpad instead of word. You can do "open with" or even associate the .rtf files with wordpad!

Quote:
3. It really doesn't like it when I put bad filename chars in the filenames and then Run Download. Of course, I would never do that
hmmm... I have no input checking at all because I know that everyone will just use valid filenames ;-) I'll see if there is a quick routine to check that.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 01-12-2009, 17:39   #44

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
And would you consider?

These portable app's work great!

PortableApps.com Installer | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB drives

Regards,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 18:26   #45

Boat: ketch, 51'
I tried downloading zip file but I can not do anything with it - file not recognized- when trying to unzip. Any clues?
I have used your original version with no problems....
thank you