Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 05:00   #796

Boat: Ohlson 38
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Looks like Eric and Charlotte are going to have some uncomfortable days ahead..and some great opportunities for personal growth. I wish that they get whatever they need to be happy and healthy.

As far as the "timing" of the public's criticism..I think we'd do well to recognize that this isn't 1965 or 1970. We live in a world of lightening paced social media where one's morning facebook posting can go viral by supper time.. and be completely forgotten by tomorrow morning. To delay engagement is to miss out.

Charlotte and Eric have made the decision to share with an anonymous public highly sensitive and potentially damaging personal information about themselves and their family. For better or for worse they have bared their soul to the world. Charlotte and Eric are a product of this new world and understand the rules..I find it incredible that anyone could be surprised (esp Rebel Heart) that they have been treated less than gently or even expect that the world care..a rather naive assumption I think. If you put yourself out to be examined by the world that's what you get..you don't get to decide what people can say or even when. That's the internet and thems the rules baby. Might as well cry over the moon as cry over the meanies on the Internet.

I expect that we'll hug them up and after a bit of time Eric and Charlotte will recover and realize the rewards to be had in failure and disappointment. I expect Eric will attain a level of humility and charity that has thus far eluded him and Charlotte will have new stuff to complain about.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:44   #797
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
YO Monkey Man, I resent your post with regard to Mike's abilities as I sailed often with him when he was not racing offshore. I personally went over the boat with him before he left Newport, and I can assure you the bolts on Coyote were tight at the time of departure. He was a good friend, a mentor, and probably more sailor than you'll ever amount to in your lifetime.

RIP Mike, every time I go sailing you are there along for the ride buddy
Yo, cheek digger:

Its wasn't his sailing ability, nor the keel bolts. It was his choice of not checking the keel after two groundings, because he was wrapped up in fund raising or distracted by other prep. Thats the point. **** can happen to the best of the best.

True or not? You tell me.
Bring Your Own Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
He was a good friend, a mentor, and probably more sailor than you'll ever amount to in your lifetime.(
Oh no doubt there. I'm on your side. Best of the best.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:53   #798
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
... If you put yourself out to be examined by the world that's what you get..you don't get to decide what people can say or even when. That's the internet and thems the rules baby. Might as well cry over the moon as cry over the meanies on the Internet ...
Except we, at CF, hold ourselves to a higher standard.
We are not "meanies".
When we disagree, we do so, without being disagreeable.

“We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.”
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ork&page=rules

Old 08-04-2014, 05:55   #799

Quote:
Originally Posted by campuscab View Post
Let's find a boat to replace Rebel Heart. We have the largest group of sailors and mechanics in the world here. There has to be a boat that can be found cheap and cleaned up. I have seen nice boats go for storage or cost of moving. With everybody out here we can do anything. This has been a moving thread. Now that the family is safe let's figure out how to make sure they continue their dream. We all have something we can contribute. Time, knowledge, equipment, labor, or money. It wouldn't be hard with all the knowledge here on C.F. Just an idea

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I think donating to their fund is the right thing to do, but choosing their next boat is a little overboard.

Let them get back home and recovered a bit.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:56   #800

Boat: Monk 36

Some friends of theirs posted a good synopsis of The Kaufman family. Might be useful for some naysayers. But then ..... naysayers only want to believe what they naysay.
Rebel Heart--A Reality Check » Landfall Voyages
Old 08-04-2014, 06:06   #801

Boat: Hunter 27

I guess your right choosing a boat is like choosing a wife. Donating to the fund would work better.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-04-2014, 06:14   #802

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
Hence 7 years living on and sailing their boat. And I'm pretty sure Eric also had prior experience before buying Rebel Heart.

If a few years hauling around the SP with your parents is the new prerequisite for sailing around the world solo using celestial navigation, starting in a boat 10 ft smaller and less sea worthy then Rebel Heart then I don't think anyone here has the right to make judgement calls about the experience required to take on such a journey and complete it successfully. Although I think Robin lost a cat on his first leg. Should have jailed him for animal cruelty.
I wasn't commenting on Eric or his sailing/cruising experience, just responding to your question about how much offshore experience Graham could have had. That's all.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:18   #803

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I think donating to their fund is the right thing to do, but choosing their next boat is a little overboard.
Indeed. As I recall, Robin Lee Graham moved to Montana.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:19   #804
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
I don't know what pisses me off more arm chair sailing or arm chair parenting comments. While I was at the hardware store today these kids came up grabbing my leg screaming and yelling (playing) and their mother just glared at me at me while her husband paid for their stuff. I had just left a meeting was wearing a key west suit and they coated my pants with something I'm not going to be able to get out and she looked right at it.
I would have gone totally ape-sh*t ballistic.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:33   #805
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm glad I've only been scanning some of this thread

And I have learned some new insight on what to share with a forum and blog

I wish Eric and family the best
Old 08-04-2014, 06:39   #806

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I wish people here would allow others to have a differing opinion.

There has never been a thread with more people telling others not to express their opinions.

All the cruising countries relish their ability/right to FREE speech and free opinions. The USA even has it enshrined in its constitution.

But here you want to sweep all that aside?

If someone is critical of Rebel Heart, its crew, or methods this IS the right place to bring it up.

Unless we critically analyse each and every disaster we can never learn for our own cruising.

Finally, yes some of the comments in Eric and Charlottes blog are pretty low, disgusting and despicable. But the blog was there and open, so people have a right to free speech and free opinions, and I think Eric and Charlotte should leave those comments there, if in the least to be ale to understand what other people think.

Please stop telling people off for expressing a contrary opinion. You sound like soviet russia.

Mark

The incident itself does raise a lot of issues worthy of discussion on this forum. Some of them controversial, and worthy of honest debate. Some of these ideas might be worth starting other threads for.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:06   #807

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter

this whole ordeal has really changed my idea of what to write on my blog as well, particularly when I go out voyaging.

The internet can be a nasty place, and my decision to share experiences is very much in question now.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:18   #808

Maybe its my age but I'm surprised that people don't understand when they put real personal thoughts out there for everyone to read that just maybe, in the right circumstances, it might some day bite you in the ass.
We don't even use face book for the same reason. Employers, future employers,newspapers,Governments and a host of other folks just love to dig into this kind of stuff from time to time.
Again probably my age but my personal stuff is only shared with a handful of people. One of the questions I always wondered about was why people want to write such personal stuff in the first place, what is missing that one needs to share thoughts with the whole world.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:26   #809

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cowboy View Post

This is what some folks over on the SSCA FB site are using as there profile pic on Facebook for those interested. It is spreading quickly.
Yep, the kink got burried - thread is growing fast! Here it is just in case: https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/djWq3/ab/03B9I0

lets keep moving this forward...
Old 08-04-2014, 07:39   #810

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
Some friends of theirs posted a good synopsis of The Kaufman family. Might be useful for some naysayers. But then ..... naysayers only want to believe what they naysay.
Rebel Heart--A Reality Check » Landfall Voyages
The naysayers have turned a cute little story about keeping cake for themselves into running out of food, hoarding and starving their children.

They have turned a fairly typical parental desire for, as Samuel Jackson puts it "Go the f@&! to sleep," into bad parenting, as well.

At least a few of them dug deeply enough to find a few things that are typical of Mexico (transportation), but pretty shocking to most Americans.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico