Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2016, 14:45   #241
vjm

Re: Father and his kids missing at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
I hate government interference, regulation, red tape and bureaucracy as much as anyone. However, I am sure that at one time or another, life jackets and fire extinguishers were not required equipment either. Yet we all carry those items and don't complain..........

I have carried a PLB for many years, and yes at the time it was expensive. Personally, I think it's foolish to leave the dock without one.

Every-time one of these incidents occurs, like the NFL players out of Clearwater Pass, two teenagers last year in the Atlantic and of course this incident and many more. Rescue may have been possible, IF ONLY, they had one..........
Or, rescue would not have been necessary if only they adhered to basic tenets of seamanship.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 14:52   #242
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. Or, rescue would not have been necessary if only they adhered to basic tenets of seamanship.
You can't say that around here: This was an accident that was just bad luck and it could happen to anybody. It had nothing to do with planning, judgement or seamanship
Old 25-06-2016, 15:04   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
You can't say that around here: This was an accident that was just bad luck and it could happen to anybody. It had nothing to do with planning, judgement or seamanship
You cannot say this either.
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 15:05   #244
vjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
I don't think anyone knows anything about what actually happened, their gear, their experience, or the actual condition of the boat. There are no conclusions to be drawn either way because we simply don't have enough information.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 15:56   #245

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Many very experienced, world class sailors, well outfitted in every respect, sailing the finest yachts available, with every equipment option on board, have been lost at sea when they became overwhelmed by circumstances and sudden conditions.

We sail the GOM, and it is a very difficult place to predict. The weather men seldom are totally right. Have gone out there many times into perfect conditions only to end up fighting to save ourselves and the boat a short time later. So far we have been lucky.

We may never know the details of this tragedy. I suspect that their initial intent was to hug the coast and proceed to the repair facility. As weather conditions became a major factor they probably tried to close the coast to search for a pass back into the waterway. The seas and wind were too much for the engine and they were blown further and further out. Based on the probable conditions onboard, they may have attempted to anchor. I suspect that someone went overboard, maybe having been hit and injured by the swinging boom, and others attempted a rescue. The situation became panic and totally out of control.

My heart goes out to them, as they seemed to be a happy, well bonded family, attempting to make the best of their situation, and doing it together. Very unusual these days to see such a bond between a parent and teenagers, they had something very special going. May God rest their souls.
LEOCAT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 16:53   #246
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
You're assuming that he didn't. Do you know for a fact that he didn't try to call back? Perhaps, in addition to all of the other negligent things the father did, he didn't keep his cell phone charged.
But, if the brother tried to call back and got no answer, particularly after the first call, wouldn't you think he would then at least have informed the Coast Guard? Plenty of folks who are in trouble, but have not yet reached the level of a MayDay often call the Coast Guard just to let them know so that if things go badly, it's not a total surprise. Usually the CG sets up a schedule for further communications.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 17:50   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
You're assuming that he didn't. Do you know for a fact that he didn't try to call back? Perhaps, in addition to all of the other negligent things the father did, he didn't keep his cell phone charged.
I understand what your saying. I also don't want to pass judgement. But given the circumstances of the first call if I called back and got no answer I would be pressing the panic button and call the coast guard.

Very sad.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 18:41   #248

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanksy View Post
Might be the wrong place for the question but what do people do if they see a white flare? I know it's for collision avoidance but what do you do a) if you see a white flare and can't reach anyone on VHF? And b) see a white flare and know there is a search and rescue mission happening nearby?

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Me: nothing, except scan the VHF for traffic get a clue whats going on.

Whites and greens are for maneuvering, though used very little these days I assume. I've never seen either on the water. Red is distress.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 19:15   #249
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
I thought so too...until we had this puppy circle us for 2+ hours--14 miles--while we were about 20 miles offshore between Naples and Boca Grande. He's a little deep in this shot. A black tip about 7 feet long. Not something I'd want my children to swim with.
No doubt. Plenty of sharks in the Gulf. I'd honestly be a bit freaked floating around out there in my PFD. My personal preference would be to keep the boat floating. Not much discussion here about that. Obviously (in my opinion at least, this boat sank. Maybe very quickly....what ever the cause). Call a mayday on ch.16. Give your position and description of the boat. Button up the boat, and wait an hour or two for the coasties. Unfortunately, from what info we have, that was not an option with no working VHF. Sure, push the panic button if you have an EPIRB. Call 911 on your cell. Hopefully, the dad tried everything he had available to him.

We were supposed to leave Brunswick, Georgia on Wednesday before Father's Day (Sunday,the day this all started for this family), so had been looking at weather a few days out. The Noreaster was forecast on passageweather very early on. I would guess this is what hit these guys.

My wife and I live day to day based on weather. Other people here at our marina delay departing, heading north, due to weather. People crossing to the Bahamas wait days, weeks, and longer for weather windows. Maybe a short hop up the Gulf Coast of Florida doesn't seem like a big deal? But anytime you go outside (offshore), you really need to think about what you are doing, and don't go if the boat isn't up to some possible adverse conditions.

It seems like there is at least one story like this every year. I hope to never read another one, but doubt that will be the case. Don't you be the next.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 20:10   #250

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Even the best of the best well prepared vessels sailed by Professional round the world sailors have accidents, It happens to the best of them,

The ocean is a very dangerous place at times, It is unforgiving, It can happen instantly,
It has nothing to do with how well you are prepared,
Lots of variables can put you in a distress situation Instantly, Even on the best equipted boats, with all the trick electronics and safety gear, Etc Etc Etc,

We are human, We all make mistakes,

Pointing your fingers from a PC is not helpfull or being considerate for your fellow man,
In this case, A loving Father and his children,
Its just not being nice,
If you cant say some thing nice, Keep it to your self,

My point being,
Ted Bulmer, The English the round the world sailor, Had an accident on a very well prepared sailing vessel, He got rolled over by a wave, A few years back now,

4000 miles south of Australia, In the Southern Ocean, He was in an upturned Hull for four or so days, Before the Australian Navy rescued him, He was single handed,

He got the same flack from PC warriors as this poor family is getting,
A lot of it was the cost of the rescue, and how stupid he was for being down there,

Columbus and Captain Cook didnt have all the Bells and whistles we have now,
And look what they achieved,
Even they had accidents, Captain Cook had the bottom ripped out of his boat,
Most of them couldnt even swim, They didnt have a rescue service to save them, They were on their own,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 20:25   #251

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Slocum is assumed to have died at sea.
Old 25-06-2016, 20:33   #252

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
My point being,
Ted Bulmer, The English the round the world sailor, Had an accident on a very well prepared sailing vessel, He got rolled over by a wave, A few years back now,

4000 miles south of Australia, In the Southern Ocean, He was in an upturned Hull for four or so days, Before the Australian Navy rescued him, He was single handed,

H
Mr B, I sure wish that you would get a new atlas or something. The distance from Fiji to Oz isn't 3000 miles, it's on the order of 1500, depending on where you make landfall. And where Ted Bulmer, sometimes known as Tony Bulimore, lost his keel and was rescued wasn't 4000 miles south of Oz, for the coastline of the Antarctic continent is only around 1600 miles from the south coast of Oz, and as I remember the incident he was not aground when rescued.

For me, y our rhetoric would be more compelling without these sorts of errors; others may not care.

All that said, I too would like folks to not dissect this mariner's practice until (if ever) we learn some facts. It is pretty obvious that he made some fatal errors, but what they were and what drove them is still unknown to us all. The sadness of wiping out this young family transcends the desire to know all the gory details IMO...

Jim
Old 25-06-2016, 20:35   #253

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

That would be Tony Bullimore you were referring to.

Many people here are way to judgemental, without any knowledge of the situation. Nothing useful can be said without some facts to go on. Everything else is ill informed speculation, and disrespectful. IMO.

At least this family was trying to do things together. It would be interesting to read the findings of an informed investigation into this tragedy.
My condolences to the remaining family and friends.
Old 25-06-2016, 21:02   #254

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Mr B, I sure wish that you would get a new atlas or something. The distance from Fiji to Oz isn't 3000 miles, it's on the order of 1500, depending on where you make landfall. And where Ted Bulmer, sometimes known as Tony Bulimore, lost his keel and was rescued wasn't 4000 miles south of Oz, for the coastline of the Antarctic continent is only around 1600 miles from the south coast of Oz, and as I remember the incident he was not aground when rescued.

For me, y our rhetoric would be more compelling without these sorts of errors; others may not care.

All that said, I too would like folks to not dissect this mariner's practice until (if ever) we learn some facts. It is pretty obvious that he made some fatal errors, but what they were and what drove them is still unknown to us all. The sadness of wiping out this young family transcends the desire to know all the gory details IMO...

Jim
For me it was, I cant sail for ****, and every night when I went to sleep I went north and then had to sail back the next day, Added lots of unnessary miles to my trip,
I didnt have the luxury of a second person to sail during the night,
Plus the northerly winds i was in, I couldnt go south any way,

Its 1800 Nmiles Oz to Fiji, For those with two people on board and in a straight line,

Tony Bullimore, I thought it was Ted, I had forgotten what his name was, It was a few years ago, and I never said he was aground,
He was inside his upturned boat, and it was 4000 miles to where he was from Australia, At the extreme edge of the rescue plane that found him,

I also seen some of the emails you sent my passenger in Fiji,
You scared the living **** out of her, You can be proud of those ones,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 21:09   #255

Boat: Mustang 3800

I only just came across this thread and to say I am devastated would be an understatement. Thinking of this great adventure and experience these kids were going to have with their dad and the trust they put in him is truly heartbreaking. Whatever happened or didn't happen out there the fact remains this is a tragic loss of lives and I can only hope all of us can learn and are so much more careful as a result. Our children are so precious to us all and will trust us with their lives so please respect theirs with all the decisions we make, whatever they may be.
RIP and May God Bless all involved in this sad event.
Biggusstickus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids