Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2014, 16:06   #676
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Do Multihullers Ever go Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
Whew! I read about half of this huge thread. I'll interrupt this discussion to go back to the topic.

To answer the OP's question, does it count if you were a "multi-huller" only in your own mind?

I've been looking at a lot of boats the last two years and plan to buy a new one soon when I retire. For a long time I was firmly convinced that a multi-hull was the way to go, and that's all I would charter. But now I'm starting to actually lean toward monohulls instead, and no, it's not just because of price. Actually, with a brand-new boat, the price difference isn't that huge. My monohull experience is admittedly very limited, but these are the factors that are starting to convince me to favor monohulls:
  1. Simply better looking.Some are, a lot are not.
  2. Better weight carrying capacity, and normally much more compartments for storage.Depends on both vessels.
  3. Newer, beamier boats with hull chines sail very flat. Not as flat as a multi-hull, but they still don't heel nearly as much as the monohulls of old. Some examples are the Beneteau Oceanis series, the Jeanneau Sun Odysseys, and the newer Dufours. So while stability is important to me, the difference is not as huge as I originally estimated.Eh? I must have gone on the wobbly monohulls then..one side was always under water!
  4. Monohulls have better accomodations overall, IMO (as long as your boat is large enough to avoid those pointy V-berth bunks!) It is your opinion and you are entitled to it. Only the facts dont justify the statement unless you are talking expensive and large monohulls.
  5. Sailing performance is about the same for blue water cruising, because the weight of the extra supplies and gear you need to take aboard hurts catamaran performance more than a monohull.Depends on the Multihull.
  6. Much better visibility from the cockpit. er.... no
  7. With bowthrusters, maneuverability is superior to cats.Bull feathers. Put a bow thruster on a multihull if you want to be fair about it.
  8. Cheaper marina fees overall. Depends on the size and width doesnt it?

Out of all the boats I've considered, the Neel 45, of all things, seems to have to best of both worlds, all the advantages of a mono and multihull (except for visibility and marina fees, because it's wide as hell). It is beautiful, although certainly not at first glance. I would buy one in a heartbeat, except a new one goes for about $550K, a little out of my price range, So, why mention them at all? How can you "consider" the Neel 45? You looked at the neel 45, you didnt "consider" it seriously... Its not on your horizon until you win the lottery or get a huge wad of cash.... I dont "consider" Gunboats....... I just look at it and think, "thats nice.. now back to reality.."
everyone else had a go at copying your post... and I didnt want to be left out..........

But.... please get what you want and enjoy it. There is no doubt in my mind that you can be happy with either variant. But please base it on a fair comparison.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 17:09   #677

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
To me, the leopards are the least ugly of the cats
Well now, there you go! Deciding what is pretty and what is not is a very personal thing!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 17:12   #678
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Well now, there you go! Deciding what is pretty and what is not is a very personal thing!

Mark
Aw bugger! Spluttering over my own computer screen now.......
Old 28-05-2014, 17:17   #679

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
4. Monohulls have better accomodations overall, IMO (as long as your boat is large enough to avoid those pointy V-berth bunks!) It is your opinion and you are entitled to it. Only the facts dont justify the statement unless you are talking expensive and large monohulls.
Not necessarily. About 45 feet, in some cases less, and you avoid the annoying pointy V-berths on most monohulls today.

Quote:
6. Much better visibility from the cockpit. er.... no
Really? Unless you are talking about the very few cats that have no bridgedeck (like the SIG45), that bridgedeck blocks all your visibility toward the bow. Not talking about the helmstation, but just people lounging in the cockpit.

Quote:
7. With bowthrusters, maneuverability is superior to cats.Bull feathers. Put a bow thruster on a multihull if you want to be fair about it.
I have never heard of bowthrusters on a multihull, but I suppose it's possible. They are pretty expensive as it is, and so I guess would be twice as expensive on a cat.

Quote:
So, why mention them at all? How can you "consider" the Neel 45? You looked at the neel 45, you didnt "consider" it seriously... Its not on your horizon until you win the lottery or get a huge wad of cash.... I dont "consider" Gunboats....... I just look at it and think, "thats nice.. now back to reality.."
Well not exactly. It's still a potential reality for me. Right now, I calculate my budget will be just over $400K. In a year or two that probably will be within striking range of a used Neel 45. That's why I'm considering it.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 17:20   #680
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

V-beths and pilot berths are the devil's curse of the monohull!

How can we subject our guests to such incivilities?

Do we really have to go to 45 feet for such compensations??
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 17:24   #681

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
SNIP

I have never heard of bowthrusters on a multihull, but I suppose it's possible. They are pretty expensive as it is, and so I guess would be twice as expensive on a cat.

SNIP
I am calling BS on this.

Cats with two engines can easily spin in their own length and walk sideways into a dock/seawall. What possible use could bow thrusters be?
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 17:25   #682
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

You only need one. And there are Cats with them.
Old 28-05-2014, 17:32   #683

Quote:
And herin is the reason I would have a Haber.

SNIP

I could handle this one happily. It ticks all the boxes.
Lots of positives for this boat, as I posted before.

I still like the speed and level sailing of a cat. I am willing to trade that for what looks like the Haber's ability to deal with sailing in the Southern Ocean.
Old 28-05-2014, 17:38   #684
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Lots of positives for this boat, as I posted before.

I still like the speed and level sailing of a cat. I am willing to trade that for what looks like the Haber's ability to deal with sailing in the Southern Ocean.
Tom.. If given the choice, and the price was level, Id buy a Seawind 1150.
If the choice was an 1150 and the Haber was 75K cheaper, I MIGHT go the Haber....
But my heart would be the Catamaran right now........

I just cannot dismiss the Haber as it is a lovely lovely boat. Im just not predjudiced! lol.

there are some boats that just grab you. Doesnt mean you will exchange what you want for them but you always have a fondness for them.

Just dont make choose between a F.P. and a Haber.........
Old 28-05-2014, 17:38   #685
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do Multihullers Ever go Back?

Weavis [quote]Eh? I must have gone on the wobbly monohulls then..one side was always under water! [quote]

Maybe you should sail with better skippers..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 17:47   #686

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I am calling BS on this.

Cats with two engines can easily spin in their own length and walk sideways into a dock/seawall. What possible use could bow thrusters be?
What are you calling BS on exactly? I said I had never heard of bowthrusters on a multihull. It sure sounds like you agree with me.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 17:48   #687
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=boatman61;1551979]Weavis [quote]Eh? I must have gone on the wobbly monohulls then..one side was always under water!
Quote:

Maybe you should sail with better skippers..
Start at 4:45mins... look a the crew then look at the boat...

Old 28-05-2014, 17:49   #688
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

google bow thruster on catamaran

and go to images.
Old 28-05-2014, 17:59   #689

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
What are you calling BS on exactly? I said I had never heard of bowthrusters on a multihull. It sure sounds like you agree with me.
Definitely BS. There definitely are bowthrusters on catamarans. Not common but can be found in the Med.

CF member Lagoon4us has one on his Lagoon 440. he finds it useful med mooring in difficult conditions. Do not need to fit 2.

As tom indicated cats are actually highly manoverable with widely spaced props.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 18:02   #690

Quote:
Tom.. If given the choice, and the price was level, Id buy a Seawind 1150.
If the choice was an 1150 and the Haber was 75K cheaper, I MIGHT go the Haber....
But my heart would be the Catamaran right now........

I just cannot dismiss the Haber as it is a lovely lovely boat. Im just not predjudiced! lol.

there are some boats that just grab you. Doesnt mean you will exchange what you want for them but you always have a fondness for them.

Just dont make choose between a F.P. and a Haber.........
For my purposes I like the Seawind 1000 better than the newer 1150. There are some small but to me important differences, and some of them are mods made by the previous owner.

There are lots of cats in the harbor in the season and I have been on FPs, Lagoons, Mantas, Shuttleworths, Catanas, Catalacs, Geminis, and more. I don't really like condomarans for my personal boat but they are nice to be invited on.

One story that illustrates what is involved in choosing a boat. I have a friend with a Shuttleworth. Great boat, fast, good cruising boat, easy to sail. It has an open bridge deck with a hard Bimini. Big square cockpit that can easily fit a dozen people comfortably sitting around a table. My boat has a real salon with nice windows that open and U shaped seating around a larger table that may sit four comfortably if it is two couples. A couple were looking to buy a boat and I was discussing it with them along with the skipper of the Shuttleworth. I mentioned the Shuttleworth was better for entertaining large crowds while mine was better for more intimate dinners. The husband said he liked the Seawind setup better, but the wife liked the Shuttleworth better.

There is no right or wrong answer to this, just which one suits your needs better. No question in my mind the small Seawind suits my needs better, but I understand how others could make a different choice.

Tags
hull, multihull