Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 10:42   #1576
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing8989 View Post
some peope say to me that a less than 15000 us sailboat is no able to cruise seriously around the caribeam. Can you explain to me is that is true. Which are the minimum instrument or upgrades needed? I am new and I want to buy a sailboat and do not know from where to start. Buying in Rio Dulce Guatemala can be good??? I have no US visa at the moment to go there for buying Thanks
in this market, that is no longer the norm or the case. i got my formosa for 10k with radar, SIMRAD HDL2000, GPS, FISHFINDER for depth..was older GPS, GARMIN.. did i say radar????? rofl.. many folks are dire bigots against finding anything other than a yacht brokerage sailoboat.. THAT is a laugh, anymore---- find a good deal from someone unable to pay for any advertising, you will find the deal you seek somewhere.. i know---- and i laugh at those having to pay retail, BECAUSE, AS THOSE FOLKS SAY, YOU ALLEGEDLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.... rofl....NOT anymore--you get what you find and what you need or want...just open eyes and seek. it is there.
good luck.
btw--i found a westsail 32 for $7500usd(asking price) in ft myers a coupla years ago-- the gooddeals are out there-- find em by looking hard.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:01   #1577

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post

Sailing lessons: This is a yuppified thing to make money. For the teachers. I have little doubt you can find a guy or a gal in a bar on most any coast in the world that will teach you how to sail on their own boat for a few bucks and cervesas.

I suspect that sailing lessons are a big deal in the USA, if they are, I really don't know, because if you take the courses, you can save money on insurance. My guess is with your budget, insurance won't be a priority, and perhaps not a possibility. You can certainly teach yourself by reading and doing but it's easier with a friendly person there to grab the tiller before you run aground, to point out that it's this sheet not that one, and to show you around a chart.

I don't know that the USA is any different than anywhere else.. there are a lot of people sailing around that never took formal lesson. I taught myself how to sail by reading and then bought a $100 sailboat to sail in the lake... I was pretty good with that dingy by the end of the summer. Being in a landlocked state, I didn't have the option to browse marina's and local sailors... So the next year I took formal sailing lessons (worked out a trade for some easy painting labor). After taking the lessons I realized just how little I was able to teach myself. The lessons were invaluable. Having read everything, and sailed the dinghy prior to taking the lessons was also invaluable. I'm positive I learned more than anybody else in the class...

I'd always recommend taking lessons. Certainly don't need to be formal lessons with certificates and all that, but have a knowledgeable person teaching you is worth every penny in my opinion. Books alone won't cut it.. and in my case, even a dinghy didn't cut it. After a year of reading and sailing a dinghy I was not at all prepared to sail a 30 foot yacht. But after one week of lessons on a 40 foot yacht, sailing a 30 footer by myself is a breeze.

It's definitely the fast track to cruising, but certainly not the only way...
Old 05-06-2011, 08:07   #1578

PLEASE, can anybody advice me if the prices listed in these two boat are right (9000 and 7000 US), or how much you will offer if it really worth to offer something based in their respective lack or existence of upgrades? THANKS A LOT

riodulcechisme.com - Dolphin

riodulcechisme.com - Saga - 1974 Irwin 37
Old 05-06-2011, 08:39   #1579

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing8989 View Post
PLEASE, can anybody advice me if the prices listed in these two boat are right (9000 and 7000 US), or how much you will offer if it really worth to offer something based in their respective lack or existence of upgrades? THANKS A LOT

riodulcechisme.com - Dolphin

riodulcechisme.com - Saga - 1974 Irwin 37
Those seem like reasonable prices judging by the photos and description. BUT, it's NEVER a good idea to attempt to judge a boat by photos and description alone. If you think those are within you're means, you should either go see them yourself, or maybe hire somebody (or convince somebody) to go see them for you, and make an honest assessment IN PERSON.

Not saying you can't buy a boat sight-unseen, you can, but there is no way to make a safe assessment of it's current condition (and therefore, price) without seeing it in person.

You might try asking on the rioduclechism.com forums about those specific boats. Or ask for a surveyor recommendation... See if anyone is willing to give you information, or possibly even check the boat out for you (probably not for free). There are a lot of cruisers based there, but I have no idea how helpful they would be. I'd be skeptical of anything less than a friend or a well known and reputable surveyor. This guy has an advertisement on the chism forums, Captain John's Rio Dulce Marina maybe worth a phone call. I'd still ask around for recommendations or confirmation that whoever you talk to is legitimate.

As for actually making an offer, you can offer as low as you want, based on whatever you want. The worse they can do is say No...
Old 05-06-2011, 08:45   #1580

Sir, thanks a lot for your experience and valuable help. Can you please see the last one in Miami, and give your advise?:

1980 IRWIN CITATION 40' SAILBOAT SAIL sailboat for sale in Florida

In case I decide to buy this one, do you know any good not expensive capitan to deliver it to Rio Dulce Guatemala? How much realy you will fairly offer for the item paste above?

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELPE
Old 05-06-2011, 08:51   #1581

I really can't give advice on how much to offer. You MUST assess the condition first to figure out how much the boat is really worth.

It's also not a good idea to choose a boat type based on photos and price alone, even if it's in perfect condition, it may not be what you think it is.... You really should get some experience visiting boats and seeing what is like on similarly sized boats. The difference between the 28 foot Columbia and this 40 foot Irwin is a HUGE DIFFERENCE in all respects.

The only real advice I can give is that I think you might want to slow down You could easily dig yourself a very deep hole when buying a boat you've never seen and haven't assessed the condition of.

That's all the advice I think I'm qualified to give here

good luck.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:30   #1582

Thanks for your last answer. The last: wehn you say there many huge differences of the two boats, can you explain to this person who does not nothing, if those are related to future costs, driving or handling (no experiencie form my part), How can affect in particular case the decision on future results? THANKS
Old 05-06-2011, 09:51   #1583
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

you need to sail both to know the difference and see if ypu like either of them.
good luck.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:57   #1584
Armchair Bucketeer

Also be aware that some boats can be worth less than zero. until you pump money and time into them - and then may still be worth less that you paid, let alone what she cost you.

But that'll be boats for ya!
Old 05-06-2011, 15:22   #1585
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
There are sailboats for sale in just about all of the Caribbean Islands and Central American countries including the Rio Dulce.
- - Since these countries are independent sovereign countries you do not need a USA Visa to visit them.
- - You only need whatever Visa the individual country requires based on your home country passport. This information can be obtained by using Google to access the Visa requirements of each country.
- - Beyond that you need the knowledge contained in the earlier portions of this thread to be able to evaluate whether the vessels will fit your needs.
- - Also you can Google the manufacturer and model of any boat you might be interested in buying to find out the current market value ($$) of that vessel. The Price that a particular vessel sells for is normally significantly less than the price the owner advertises. Especially in 3rd World countries they will ask US$15,000 for a boat that will finally sell for US$1,500.
The people that can not afford more than $15,000 for a boat can't afford to hit all the tourist spots in "marian to marina" type cruising. The used boat market is even more volital than ever now. A boat you pay $15,000 for now with all the bells and whistles might be valued at $30,000 bare bones but if you look carefully enough could also be found for less than $10,000. I paid $17,500 for my boat 4 years ago (at the time it surveyed at $25-30,000). After putting $5,000 into it will be worth close to $40,000 but I'd be lucky to get $15,000. If you cannot afford a shiny new $100,000 yacht you might have avoid the places that make cruising expensive and make do with less expensive alternatives (Like cooking while anchored in a secluded cove vs eating out at a fancy resturant and returning to your boat at a marina.) What is crusing really about....?
Old 05-06-2011, 17:10   #1586
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
What is crusing really about....?
Its about what one wants it to be about... and can afford it.

I like the tourism aspect of it. If I had a higher budget I would like to visit more marinas and stay longer in the central hub of the places I am visiting.

For many people New York may be the last place on their itinerary. But for me to spend a week or 2 in a marina at Manhattan and soaking up the atmosphere would be truly fabulous. If the budget was even higher I would love to go for a zap around town in a helicopter.

Theres lots of places in the world I would love to do that.

I also enjoy gunkholing and sitting in nice anchorages cooking myself from the local markets etc.

Its all individual - outlook, desires and of course, budget.

I will get to all the places I want to take the boat, and more. Of course it won't be exactly the way I'd love to do it.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 10-06-2011, 08:58   #1587

anybody kindly can give an advice regarding this sailboat, and if the price is right, or what would be appropiated to offer? If you can add how many upgrades needed to properly sail the caribeam, I will strongly appreciate it. THANKS A LOT
Old 10-06-2011, 09:00   #1588

SORRY THE WEBSITE OF THE CONCERNING SAILBOAT IS 1984 CAl Cal 24 sailboat for sale in South Carolina
Old 10-06-2011, 09:18   #1589
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

Referring to learning how to sail. I've had students who have sailed for years and didn't know some of the basics, such as how to properly anchor, because the person who taught them never learned. Docking is also a skill that learning from an instructor will greatly improve. It's not a skill easily learned on one's own. Close quarters maneuvering, knowing how to turn your boat in its own length, all are skills that the average sailor is not familiar with.
And I can't begin to count the number of people with nice, new 'larger' boats who won't sail them because they're intimidated by their size. Their old, smaller boat, was fine, but the new one is simply too much. And that's a shame.
Now, we could always discuss the level of boating instruction that powerboaters have....
Old 10-06-2011, 09:29   #1590

so for someone like me with no any one minute of sailing experience would you recommend me a smal sailboat? can you take a look of this one and tell if would be ok for sailing the caribeam, and how many upgrades will needed and amount of money to place on it 1975 Grampian 26 sailboat for sale in Illinois ? Thanks
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising