Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2023, 06:26   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31
Crash Course on New England

Hi all-

We have a 30-foot 1974 steel sailboat, 4 foot draft. Currently based in Norfolk, VA, and the vast majority of our experience has been in the Chesapeake Bay and ICW. We're likely moving to New England at the end of this year or beginning of next, and need any and all advice on bringing the boat up there, keeping her up there, what sailing is like up there, etc.

The main issue is that I've seen that most harbors in New England are VASTLY more expensive and more crowded, often with lengthy waitlists for slips or moorings, compared to what we're used to in the Chesapeake. AND, because this is a military move, we won't know with 100% certainty where we're going until October or later, with a move date in December or January (which of course also complicates the timing of actually moving the boat, because that trip in the winter is not ideal, to put it lightly) - but the most likely candidates are Boston and Portland. Also, we're still wrangling insurance - we need a survey, but there are very few surveyors qualified to do steel recreational boats. We have finally found one surveyor somewhat nearby that can do it, but won't be able to actually get it done until we haul in the fall.

Any insight on budget friendly(er) places to keep a boat in Boston, Portland, or anywhere in between? Any cruising guide recommendations (I already have the Duncan's and Fenn's "Cruising Guide to the New England Coast" and MapTech's spiral-bound "New England Coast")? Any other key insight from the locals? Any and all info is greatly appreciated!
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 07:46   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Crash Course on New England

Forget Boston! Perhaps Salem, Gloucester, Portsmouth NH
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 08:17   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Pray for Portland. Plenty of reasonably priced places to keep the boat year round nearby. Especially in South Portland.

As far as cruising guides “A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast” has to be one of the best books ever written, not just a good guide. Might be out of print. Nothing changes that quickly in Maine. Ha ha. 90% of the book is accurate still. New edition out soon but old ones will work.

If around Massachusetts, do as the previous poster said. Keep the boat outside of Boston. Lots and lots of better places than Boston Harbor.

Also, Portland is a city people don’t really think about. But it does have everything. There’s even a Whole Foods. It’s a surprisingly nice place. They have lots of local, farm fresh foods in the summer up there. Good quality of life.

I wouldn’t look too closely at Portsmouth/Kittery because it’s very, very crowded. That’s where you find those really long waits. Maybe Newburyport.

And then finally, if you end up in Massachusetts you may consider putting your boat in Narragansett Bay (RI) somewhere. Newport. Etc. The sailing in that area is fantastic. There are lots and lots of destinations nearby. It makes it a little bit more fun. I believe there’s also a tax advantage keeping the boat in Rhode Island. In Massachusetts they will hit you with a use tax or luxury tax. I don’t believe Rhode Island has that same tax and you will be free of it. Same story for New Hampshire. No sales tax or use tax. Maine has one.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 09:46   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Pray for Portland. Plenty of reasonably priced places to keep the boat year round nearby. Especially in South Portland.

if you end up in Massachusetts you may consider putting your boat in Narragansett Bay (RI) somewhere. Newport. Etc. The sailing in that area is fantastic. There are lots and lots of destinations nearby. It makes it a little bit more fun. I believe there’s also a tax advantage keeping the boat in Rhode Island. In Massachusetts they will hit you with a use tax or luxury tax. I don’t believe Rhode Island has that same tax and you will be free of it. Same story for New Hampshire. No sales tax or use tax. Maine has one.
Definitely hoping for Portland. But had the same idea about keeping the boat in Newport if we end up in Boston, especially because they have a Navy-owned marina that we might be able to get into for cheaper/less wait. We were in Newport about a month ago for The Ocean Race stopover, and it's lovely. Thanks for the insight on this and the book recommendation!
Old 22-06-2023, 11:37   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Are you planning to keep the boat in the water all winter? Most around here don't. Maybe find a yard where you want to store over the winter, sail it up in the Fall and don't worry about it until you know where you'll be next season.

Take any Portland advice with a grain of salt. That area has exploded over the past few years. Property values, and especially dock space, have skyrocketed. Still a great location, but if anyone tells you it's a sleepy backwater, don't believe them!
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 11:43   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Are you planning to keep the boat in the water all winter? Most around here don't. Maybe find a yard where you want to store over the winter, sail it up in the Fall and don't worry about it until you know where you'll be next season.

Take any Portland advice with a grain of salt. That area has exploded over the past few years. Property values, and especially dock space, have skyrocketed. Still a great location, but if anyone tells you it's a sleepy backwater, don't believe them!
The plan is to haul out here in the Chesapeake in the fall to do the bottom, get a survey, etc. By then we should know exactly where we're going and the exact move date. From there we'll have to decide the plan - it may make the most sense to keep the boat on the hard down here until spring, and then fly back down to launch and sail her up at the beginning of the season, rather than launch in the winter, pray for a weather window in January, and then either find a place up north where she can stay in the water through the winter with an ice bubbler or haul again. But either way, if we need to get on a waitlist, I want to do so as soon as possible.

And noted on Portland - it looks far more desirable than Boston, but from the prices I've seen, it certainly doesn't look like a sleepy backwater to me!
Old 22-06-2023, 12:12   #7

Boat: Catalina 42

Costs in New England have exploded in the past few years after being relatively stable for a decade or more.

For winter storage consider go "up river" from the coast--sometimes getting yourself 10-20 miles inland can make a huge dent in the bill--like half off.

Heading inland really isn't practical for summer berthing. Coastal moorings used to be a bargain, but at marinas they can now exceed $100 per foot per season in the areas you mention, while slips can be $150/ft. or more.

Yacht clubs are popular here and can result in real savings, especially at the smaller, do it yourself types. Folks are aging out and many clubs are looking for members. Most have moorings, and some have slips available for members.

If you think you are going to be here for a decade or more get yourself on every wait list for a municipal mooring you can find. They are often not limited to just town residents, although residents may get priority. You will wait a long time, but the savings can be immense, only a few hundred dollars a season in some cases (you supply the mooring gear). Municipal slips are very rare, and the wait lists are even longer.

Newport is a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to keep a boat there. Expensive, and shore side access/parking is an issue. Narragansett Bay is not a large body of water, you can be in Newport in a few hours from anyplace in RI. I would imagine a mooring in Warwick or Cranston would be the most cost effective way to keep a boat on the Bay. East Greenwich and Wickford are also worth a look. You can get over to Block Island for the weekend from any of these spots.

I hope you enjoy cruising in New England. The season is short but the experience is fantastic!
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2023, 22:24   #8

I'm in Portland now and looking at boats - a big issue is having some place to put one. I called over 25 marinas and only 1 had any space for August/September but it would've been over $4k/month. I was looking from about an hour south to almost 2hrs north of Portland.

Apparently it's much easier and cheaper once The Season ends, so hopefully you'll come up outta that window.
soopad00pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2023, 23:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopad00pa View Post
I'm in Portland now and looking at boats - a big issue is having some place to put one. I called over 25 marinas and only 1 had any space for August/September but it would've been over $4k/month. I was looking from about an hour south to almost 2hrs north of Portland.

Apparently it's much easier and cheaper once The Season ends, so hopefully you'll come up outta that window.
That would actually make a lot of sense. And it has always really been like that. If you are looking at August and September, you are looking at an absolute prime season where people from away visit and take up those docks.

If you had already been locked into a contract for the whole summer, you wouldn’t find the same rates.

That’s more like the seasonal influx causing that one.
Old 24-06-2023, 00:08   #10

But it's a kick in the junk trying to make a thing happen with boat buying.
Old 24-06-2023, 00:10   #11

Quote:
But it's a kick in the junk trying to make a thing happen with boat buying.
Try this:

Wherever the boat you’re buying is, just extend or take over the contract on that slip or mooring. It’s typically not an issue to do so.
Old 24-06-2023, 01:32   #12

Hopefully that'll be an option, but both of the boats I've looked at so far have been on the hard. At first glance that seemed great since I could knock out bottom paint and any thru hull stuff that needed doing, but then the water turned to gold
Old 24-06-2023, 02:03   #13

Quote:
Hopefully that'll be an option, but both of the boats I've looked at so far have been on the hard. At first glance that seemed great since I could knock out bottom paint and any thru hull stuff that needed doing, but then the water turned to gold
It may not be exactly what you want, but if it is really that crowded up there this year, you could leave it on the hard. Get that work done you’re talking about. Then Then put it in the water when you are ready to leave.

And if you’re up right now and have been this whole time, you’re having as bad of a night as I am for sleep. Ha ha
Old 24-06-2023, 02:50   #14

I really wanna have at least a few weeks in the water to troubleshoot and shake things out before I have to head south.

I work nights, so it's all good here. Good luck with your nap...
Old 24-06-2023, 04:11   #15

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

A couple of thoughts for you.

We have Cruise the East Coast a couple of years and my wife has maintained a fabulous blog at circe.travelmap.net. This is a map based blog, click on any data point to learn about that place.

I have written a Google doc about how to get from the Chesapeake to Long Island Sound. It's not really a pleasant passage, it's a bit of a chore to get from here to there. It might help you in your planning.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...t?usp=drivesdk

I have also written a Google doc for new boat owners with random thoughts. Some of it is getting outdated as favorite suppliers go out of business, but you might find it useful.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...t?usp=drivesdk
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
England, new england