Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2013, 09:35   #31

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Composting toilets, do they actually work?

Quote:
Proper compost medium is necessary, I find coco-Tek to be vastly superior.. Do a search on compost medium for more
I have read that other places, but I've never had any issues with standard peat moss bought at any old hardware or garden store, and not much of it. I think one of the tricks is to not clean out the storage compartment as you get rid of the beneficial bacteria that do a lot of the work. Just dump, sprinkle a little peat moss in the bottom to get you started, and you are good to go.
Old 19-05-2013, 09:43   #32

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Composting toilets, do they actually work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Have not installed it yet but this is pretty close to what I have designed for my boat. Main difference is the holding tank will be behind and above the vanity but drain out the bottom, waste in on the top.

So how was the pump out rigged? I'm planning to put a Y-valve on the single bottom drain line which will switch between the thru-hull and the deck pump out and trying to think if there is any reason why not to do it this way, other than problems with the valve (but I'm using the Peg Hall recommended, never fail valve).
I should think that would work just fine. Some have put in a separate line to the tank so there's no need for a Y-valve, but I like that a y-valve allows you clear the gravity feed line.

You could even just use a T-fitting above the seacock. If you have the seacock closed, there's really no reason for a y-valve. The pump out will go directly to the tank. A Y-valve would prevent any sewage from running up the pump out hose when heeled to that side. Another alternative if the seacock isn't easy to reach is to place a ball valve on the bottom of the tank - just open that to drain - again, you could just use a t-fitting below that, with no need for a y-valve. This would allow raw water to flow part way up the pump out line, but so what? - just helps keeps it clean.

What I did to keep head repair simple was to just buy spare pump assembly for $70. No need to muck about with flapper valves, etc. on the spot, - just swap a whole new pump and rebuild the old one later if desired. With no sewage pump the pump on the head itself is about the only thing that can fail - have a spare pump and it keeps repair very simple.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 10:55   #33

Anyone make their own for a boat?

http://humanurehandbook.com/humanure_toilet.html
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 16:30   #34

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Composting toilets, do they actually work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
Anyone make their own for a boat?

The $10-20 (or even free) composting toilet
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote