Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2018, 21:42   #1
Marine Service Provider

Angry China Sail Factory Beware

To Anyone considering purchasing sails from China Sail Factory - beware!

I'm a long term sailmaker in Australia (Gippsland Victoria) and for a while I have been having some of my larger sails made offshore in Sri Lanka and more recently in China.
I was trying China Sail Factory and whilst the quality was OK the last sail was nothing like the sail I ordered it was 18' too long on the foot and more than 2' too tall, the reef points were all wrong (clearly they sent the wrong sail!). Whilst they offered to replace the sail it never happened and for the last 4-5 months I can't get either of the directors I spoke to to answer an email (Tim Keogh and Matthew Rattsey).
I have recently heard a rumour that they are now in receivership (gone broke), in my view this should be a blessed relief to the whole world.
Do not send them any money.
R. Broomhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 03:25   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Re: China Sail Factory Beware

Its been shutdown for a month or two by the authorities. Sorry for anyone who ordered sails and paid a deposit. But it was oblivious it was on the way out, was going downhill for the last two years, all the former staff have their own companies and the sales managers working elsewhere.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 04:47   #3
Marine Service Provider

Many thanks for this I will be very aware and avoid dealing with Tim Keogh and Matthew Rattsey again!
Old 28-09-2018, 13:44   #4

Boat: Beneteau first 26

The fact that a "sailmaker " orders sails from Sri Lanka or China really annoyes me .
About the deposit and the sails , you can file for a claim on your master card and you will get the money back within 2 or 3 weeks .

Now about China sails , yes their quality and accuracy are the worse , but a mainsail for my boat cost 1600 euro from a normal sailmaker ( that might as well order from china , like elvstrom did on my last order )
And from china it cost 400 plus another 400 or 600 I maybe need to spent to fit it correctly.
So china is still the best option for cruising .

Now about the money , master card really protects you with they charge back claim system and you can use PayPal as well for transaction safety.
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 19:52   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
The fact that a "sailmaker " orders sails from Sri Lanka or China really annoyes me .
About the deposit and the sails , you can file for a claim on your master card and you will get the money back within 2 or 3 weeks .

Now about China sails , yes their quality and accuracy are the worse , but a mainsail for my boat cost 1600 euro from a normal sailmaker ( that might as well order from china , like elvstrom did on my last order )
And from china it cost 400 plus another 400 or 600 I maybe need to spent to fit it correctly.
So china is still the best option for cruising .

Now about the money , master card really protects you with they charge back claim system and you can use PayPal as well for transaction safety.

Hi Ordering sails from manufactures overseas may well annoy you, but for me it is a reality for bigger sails.
Having been a manufacturing Sailmaker for over 40 years I no longer have the size loft required to build large sails nor do I have the quality machinery (heavy duty) required to do the job.
You are correct that often customers who go to Asian lofts for sails often get sails made out of the worst material I have ever seen and they often don't fit. I can fix the fit issue but there is nothing I can do about the crappy material. That is why I use AquaDynamics in Sri Lanka and why I was using China Sail Factory but as I said they are rotten to the core and mercifully have now gone broke.

I have in the past done direct debit transactions but I will take your advice re using Master card.
Old 29-09-2018, 10:48   #6

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

I am a total cruiser and ex racer. I bought my sails from Bacon(new). I actually found the sailmaker Bacon used in Hong Kong(I think). I could have saved $220. by buying direct. I decided against buying direct in case there was an issue. That $220 was the best money I've spent in a long time. The new main was "baggy". They offered a totally new sail or they would recut and install full battens. I went for the recut and full battens.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 15:37   #7

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

What % of boat owners do you think buy sails overseas more than once?
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 16:01   #8

My understanding is that many of the US sailmakers (with big names you know) sent a large proportion of their US orders to China Sails for years. China Sails would turn it around in 3 weeks and ship it back to the sailmaker to deliver to the customer. The US sailmaker would make the sail bag in the US.

Seriously.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 17:24   #9

Boat: Farr7500

G'day, wouldn't mind making contact with you. please give me a call on 0438563164
cheers Derick
Derick Warne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 17:27   #10

Boat: Farr7500

That last post was intended for Mr Broomhall. I thought it would appear under his.
Derick Warne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 02:49   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Derick,

I believe Mr. Broomhall is also located in Australia. Maybe you can contact each other via this thread, or by Personal Message.

Ann
Old 30-09-2018, 03:15   #12

Boat: Stuart 47

Russell Broomhall is my sailmaker.
Great bloke, excellent sailmaker (he has made at least 10 sails of all types materials and uses for me).
Thread wander, but relevant, stay with me here....
Next time you're at the dentist, ask where they are sending your laboratory work (the work done to fabricate a prosthetic outside the mouth) you may be surprised to learn that a large portion of it is being done in Asia.
We all want the most for the least, in all walks of life, so do you blame the sailmakers for searching for lower cost suppliers to deliver what is expected of them by customers? WE have forced them into that corner.
There soon won't be any dental technicians doing intricate laboratory work in Aus, price competition will drive this work off shore. Do the Asian technicians pay tax in Aus, support other Australian businesses, I think not.
Consumers will end up with the commercial world they are prepared to pay for.
Is this just an Australian problem? I suspect not.
Toccata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 04:22   #13

Boat: Jeanneau gin fiz,38ft

I ordered my new sails with Far East Sail from Hong Kong (Genoa, Main, Mizzen, storm jib).Good work, good material, excellent value for the money (half the price of European sail makers),delivered by Currier to the boat (price included). We sailed Atlantic, Pacific , part of Indian Ocean (CCA 30.000NM) still good condition (after 6 years of use/abuse , some simple repairs due to shafing. I will bay from them again.
basjako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 13:17   #14

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

My North Sail mainsail purchased 2017 was delivered to me in Florida from Sri Lanka. It was a bit of a surprise but a great sail at a good price...surprised and happy.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 13:33   #15

I do not mind/care where my sail is made. What pisses me off is when dealer charges 600% profit. For example, I ordered a spinnaker, was charged $3400 after sailboat discounts. Sail was made in Philippines, shipped directly to me and came with an invoice (probably by mistake), $560.
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
China, sail