Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Open Ocean Sailing
survive it... 10 24.39%
Play in it... 31 75.61%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 15:18   #31
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: Blue Water Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
I sail for the destinations with the anchor down. That I can enjoy a good ocean passage is just a bonus.
What Eleebana said!

We'll back Bash's view as well.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 15:19   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Blue Water Sailing

[QUOTE=Bash;813709]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
Surely enjoyment and survival aren't mutually exclusive...? So must we choose? We prefer the spoiled child response...WE WANT BOTH!!

I'm down for that. But I'm also desirous of a third category for those who want to get from Point A to Point B without breaking gear.
Thats what I call 'Survive'.... get across complete...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 15:35   #33

Boat: Olson 40

When I get out there, I never want to stop.

I like sailing fast, but only to make the sailing fun, not because I want to get there and stop.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 16:19   #34

Boat: PETERSON 44
I asked a local Benjamin moore shop to match the colors from some sailing shots I had taken. Only one had blue in it. We found a color called peachy pickle which was a pale green. Another close match was called mauve dung. A sort of musky brown with hints if yellow. There was one shot that had bent over black with upper portions being plausible pale. Something called fiesta grey. one shot in virgin gorda was called blue. Where are you guys sailing
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 16:45   #35

[QUOTE=boatman61;813717]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

Thats what I call 'Survive'.... get across complete...
Boatman61’s got it nailed.

When I deliver a boat/yacht to an individual or charter company they don’t want to spend the next month fixing broken stuff or replacing blown out sails. And at my age shooting enough ILS approaches to minimums, I’ve kind of got my jolly full of adventure. Do what you have to do but take care of your ride. I guess if my deliveries were on Swans or the like my attitude might be different.

Go for it youngsters as long as it’s your own boat.

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:32   #36

Boat: William Garden pilothouse ketch 60' LOA.

I'm planning a voyage from pubic sound (excuse the name ) It's not a nice place in the winter.I think it's very dirty and filled with floating debris....I can't wait to set sail.been here two years and now getting out of here.Retiring and packing up going to the warm weather of Mexico...Sailing down the coast in the early part of winter not a good idea for some...But the right ship and the right equipment makes this trip one hell of a ride.If you know anybody that wants to crew I'm open I need a crew of eight...REALITY is a ship that will surprise evan the most exsperience sailor..I brought it up in june 2010 in a very big storm and was very delighted to feel how a porpoise hull handled the high sea's not a bit of water over the bow in 40' sea's.Any takers ?..Capt.Bill..
wildbillca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 18:05   #37
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

[QUOTE=knotnow;813805]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Boatman61’s got it nailed.

When I deliver a boat/yacht to an individual or charter company they don’t want to spend the next month fixing broken stuff or replacing blown out sails. And at my age shooting enough ILS approaches to minimums, I’ve kind of got my jolly full of adventure. Do what you have to do but take care of your ride. I guess if my deliveries were on Swans or the like my attitude might be different.

Go for it youngsters as long as it’s your own boat.
Hear them! Hear them!

Our delivery days are thankfully over. We're now very happy to be on our own vessel only, but we doubt even a long ocean passage on a big Swan would change our approach. Cruising rules here...in comfort...and we're loving it!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 19:17   #38
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbillca View Post
I've been off the coast of Casta Rica in a gale and tore two sails lost all engine power and electric with a green crew I picked up in Gautamala and made the decision to head farther out to sea.this really scard the %$#& out of the crew but in the long run it was a good call..We did very well by that call..
Well I'm not sure how you pulled it off but I agree with you -- if you're losing power, get away from shore.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 19:27   #39

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

There is a certain magic to be at risk off shore and relying only on your wits, your preparation and your shipmates, if any. I think we all tend to measure the questionable conditions we sail in to the worst conditions we can recall. That attitude has brought me through several experiences with a whole skin and vessel.
I don't recall ever going to sea with the purpose of seeing how much I and the boat could take. These days I just enjoy the memories...
The draw of offshore is the constant test of ones ability and judgement and hopefully a re-aformation that we can handle/survive it. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 20:58   #40

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
As I read through some of the posts, I find two completely different attitudes of sailing "Blue Water"
One being those that are looking to survive it...
And the second being of those that want to play in it...

Being of a Open Ocean Racing background, I find myself to be of the second catagory..

In which catagory to you fall??????
Yes..
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 08:07   #41
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

we want both, have both, but, bash, how do we do the third--i have a formosa-- SOMETHING will break EVERY time....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 08:05   #42

Location: Sold the Full Moon in PR, now on St Simons Island, GA
Boat: Hunter, Deck Salon, 44, Fullmoon

thought you all might find this interesting:
Instinctive drowning response
A person at, or close to, the point of drowning is unable to keep his/her mouth above water long enough to breathe properly and is unable to shout.[1] Lacking air, his/her body cannot perform the voluntary efforts involved in waving or seeking attention. Involuntary actions operated by the autonomic nervous system involve lateral flapping or paddling with the arms to press them down into the water in the effort to raise the mouth long enough to breathe, and tilting the head back.[1] As an instinctive reaction, this is not consciously mediated nor under conscious control.[1]
The victim is "too quiet," and unable to make other life-preserving actions — they cannot kick their feet, nor swim to a rescuer, nor grasp a rope or other rescue equipment at this point.[1] They may be misunderstood as "playing in the water" by those unfamiliar with drowning, and other swimmers just meters away may not realize that an emergency is occurring.
The lack of leg movement, upright position, inability to talk or keep the mouth consistently above water, and (upon attempting to reach the victim) the absence of expected rescue-directed actions, are evidence of the condition.
[edit] Timing

According to AST1 Mario Vittone of the US Coast Guard, this instinct takes place for typically no longer than the final 20–60 seconds during drowning and before sinking underwater.[1][2] In comparison, a person who can still shout and keep their mouth constantly above water may be in distress, but is not in immediate danger of drowning compared to a person unable to do so.[
Fullmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 09:35   #43
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
we want both, have both, but, bash, how do we do the third--i have a formosa-- SOMETHING will break EVERY time....
I feel your pain.

Part of the problem is economics. When I first started teaching I was always so broke I wouldn't replace a line until it either parted or chaffed through its cover. Those were my racing days, so every spare penny went into keeping the sails competitive. There just wasn't money to get rid of standing rigging that was still standing. I'll never forget purchasing my first kevlar jib, taking it out on a windy day and having our forestay part on the sail's first beat to weather. Ouch. There was nothing left in the boat budget to fix it, and I'd borrowed all I could just to make it through grad school.

That said, I'm far more gentle on boats these days. Less likely to venture offshore when Force 8 is forecast, and less likely to ask a small block to do the work of a big block. I no longer ask a raw water impeller to give me three years of service, and the oil gets changed when it wants to get changed.

I used to brag, "This boat can stand far worse conditions than it's crew." Now I understand that boats have needs too.
Old 14-11-2011, 09:45   #44
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

more folks die of hypothermia than of drowning----hypothermia makes it difficult to move extremities and one loses ones ability to remain afloat. too cold to move and too cold for brain to keep you awake. i have treated both conditions. drowning is not uncommon in warm waters. hypothermia gets ye when in an ocean of cold water.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 10:38   #45

Boat: William Garden pilothouse ketch 60' LOA.

It's best to be safe..I've been a safety officer working on Gov.jobs for the last 10 years and I'll say this for anything you attempt to do always think of the worst condition of any thing you are going to attempt to do and you will be ready for all..But if it can happen it will all said and done I find when funds are low and thats always aboard you own boat look for used equipment like float coats survival suits ect.better to have old in good shape then none at all.And never go to sea with out a EPIRB !!!!
wildbillca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water sailing, sailing, water