Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 30-10-2013, 21:33   #421

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Big Ship Little Boat, who Gives way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
If you're talking about Marc Guillemot, he went the opposite direction to the flow of traffic for nearly 30 miles total through two separate traffic schemes, forced many ships to avoid him, and when told by the coast guard he was going the wrong way in the lane, told them he was going to continue to do so in order to beat a record. That's a far cry from a sailboat crossing a scheme at not-quite-90º.
Yes, I said it was a "wrong way" incident, and I never said that you would be prosecuted for crossing at "not quite 90 degrees".

But if the wind is blowing at 90 degrees to the lane directions of a TSS, then a cruising sailboat which tacks through 100 degrees or more by the GPS will be sailing closer to "wrong way" on one of its tacks than it will be sailing at 90 degrees. I think that's pretty bad and probably a violation, if you could have motored.

If you can't motor, then the best thing to do is try to get across each lane on the one tack which keeps you going most nearly with the flow of the traffic in each lane, and do your best not to impede. I guess that's pretty obvious but bears repeating.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 05:27   #422

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
But if the wind is blowing at 90 degrees to the lane directions of a TSS, then a cruising sailboat which tacks through 100 degrees or more by the GPS will be sailing closer to "wrong way" on one of its tacks than it will be sailing at 90 degrees. I think that's pretty bad and probably a violation, if you could have motored.
I don't think there is any legislation that makes it mandatory for a sailboat to use its auxiliary engine. If you know better and can point to the legal text, I'm prepared to be corrected.

While I agree the state of traffic may make it prudent to use the iron genny, if the crossing has been planned to avoid traffic as much as possible, sailing obliquely across can be done safely. As to veering with or against the flow, I'd probably go with, unless I wanted to pass astern of a passing vessel.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 05:45   #423
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:

I don't think there is any legislation that makes it mandatory for a sailboat to use its auxiliary engine. If you know better and can point to the legal text, I'm prepared to be corrected.

While I agree the state of traffic may make it prudent to use the iron genny, if the crossing has been planned to avoid traffic as much as possible, sailing obliquely across can be done safely. As to veering with or against the flow, I'd probably go with, unless I wanted to pass astern of a passing vessel.
I think there is a fundamental mis understanding of how COLREGS are enforced. There is no " on the spot" fines like say traffic violations. A case must be proven in court and the court assigns blame and pecuniary damages.

Hence it's not a question of forcing you to use an engine or not. The rules require you to cross on a perpendicular heading " as near as practical". Hence whether you sail, motor or use galley slaves yo row you across is irrelevant. The test that will be applied in the event court case, will be its interpretation of the revelation clause and your defence.

So yes , crossing a busy TSS may mean significant changes in heading etc , since we mus not impede the larger vessel. But all this falls under the" practical" rule.

Dave
Old 31-10-2013, 06:50   #424

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

usually "no sailing", motoring required are local rules...usuall for places like canals, certain channels, bridges, etc....

In the US you would have to check the coast pilots to see if there is a restriction.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 14:57   #425
cruiser

Quote:
Not only am I prepared to be corrected, I'd very much like to see it so I can change the way I sail.

It matters at West Point.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 17:43   #426

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

I would not bet on a big ship seeing you.
Many crews now are just picked up by the numbers from manning agencies and the standard can be very low.
It has been obvious now on many occasions, that another ship is not aware of me. And I sail around in a 12000 ton container ship.
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote