Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2021, 07:25   #76
cruiser

Re: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Elan, etc. mass production boats that circumnavigate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Yes it is 100% as useless as that one and the 100s similar since about the topic. But I am glad to see you research the same topic, get the same answers I bet, and take notes.
Yes, and arguments about boat PREFERENCES will go on for a few more millenia, just as they have all thru history. Apparently some places just hated the greek triremes, and the Royal Navy didnt like the top hean spanish galleons. In one thread about hull material preferences wher one hguy asked about cement hulls, anotjer answered that "if you tjrow a bunk of cement in the water it wont float"! Another told him the same re a hunk of steel. Another swore that his cement boat has been wonderful....for the past 20 years. It will ever be thus.
David Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:15   #77

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28
Re: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Elan, etc. mass production boats that circumnavigate

Quote:
Yes it is 100% as useless as that one and the 100s similar since about the topic. But I am glad to see you research the same topic, get the same answers I bet, and take notes.
You may have no use for it, but that does not mean it is necessarily useless. My interest in reading these threads is not to learn what design features or building practice makes a boat suitable for ocean service. I've sailed far enough and immersed myself in that very subject long enough to know my preferences and the reasons for them. What I am interested in though is the changes in both attitudes and knowledge over time of sailors participating in such discussions. Like your own change, for example, that you yourself spoke about in that thread after acquiring the Hunter.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:36   #78
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
. Like your own change, for example, that you yourself spoke about in that thread after acquiring the Hunter.
Yes 10+ years ago I read one these and other similar threads The result was I got the wrong boat and that wasted 2 years and $10k+ of money just to finally come to the conclusion that these threads are silly and I should have gotten my Hunter to start with.

It is 2021 and this and similar discussions still center around book info written in the 1980s.
Old 04-03-2021, 14:42   #79

Quote:
Yes 10+ years ago I read one these and other similar threads The result was I got the wrong boat and that wasted 2 years and $10k+ of money just to finally come to the conclusion that these threads are silly and I should have gotten my Hunter to start with.

It is 2021 and this and similar discussions still center around book info written in the 1980s.
Now, that's interesting. Let's see if I understand what you're saying. You bought a boat that didn't suit you partially or wholly due to being swayed by opinions in these sort of discussions which relied heavily on ideas from books written in the 1980's. Did I get that right?

I presume you did not buy a 24 foot, engineless, gaff rigged wooden cutter with a sculling oar. So, may I ask what didn't you like about the boat you bought initially, and what books and ideas from the 80's do you now find to be outdated and, thus, presumably irrelevant. Just to be clear, we are talking about long distance ocean cruising boats, yes?
Old 04-03-2021, 16:21   #80
CLOD

You don't understand. Probably because you are focused on arguing some unknown unimportant point.
Old 04-03-2021, 16:22   #81
CLOD

In the end get whatever boat you like and don't worry if a forum agrees.
Old 04-03-2021, 16:48   #82
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Elan, etc. mass production boats that circumnavigate

Quote:

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 17:21   #83

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^^
Whaddya mean, guys? If someone buys the wrong boat we will absolutely crucify him here... no forgiveness, no quarter... if it's wrong, it is WRONG!

After all, we have a reputation to maintain.

Jim
Old 04-03-2021, 22:05   #84

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
You mean like this 39 page one from 2009 in which you participated? I'm just browsing through it now and my first impression is that this current thread is somewhat diminished compared to the numerous well supported opinions of experienced cruisers one reads in that old thread.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ats-34218.html

The topic is certainly as pertinent as it was 12 years ago, but I suspect many whose opinions are worth hearing have grown tired of making the same albeit still valid arguments for what criteria to look at when evaluating the desirable and undesirable characteristics of voyaging boats.

Just as the sea does not change, I doubt that such arguments will be any less valuable in the next 12 years. Boats that are poorly designed and built with questionable quality will still be as unsuitable for ocean voyaging as they are now or were 12 years ago. Perhaps even more so.
So Greg regarding your comment of poorly designed and poorly built boats not being suitable how do you explain that in 12 years of fulltime cruising which includes a circumnavigation via South Africa I saw zero evidence of these poorly built and poorly designed modern boats failing? How do you explain that I've seen Benteaus, Jeanneaus, Barvarias etc complete circumnavigations?

You would think after the amount of fulltime cruising I've seen I would at least of seen one of these boats fail due to bad design and poor quality...wouldnt you?
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:50   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
So Greg regarding your comment of poorly designed and poorly built boats not being suitable how do you explain that in 12 years of fulltime cruising which includes a circumnavigation via South Africa I saw zero evidence of these poorly built and poorly designed modern boats failing? How do you explain that I've seen Benteaus, Jeanneaus, Barvarias etc complete circumnavigations?

You would think after the amount of fulltime cruising I've seen I would at least of seen one of these boats fail due to bad design and poor quality...wouldnt you?
My point about unsuitable design and build quality for offshore service refers to this thread. Perhaps you missed it.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...se-246347.html

There is a fairly long list of very good sailors having taken pretty unsuitable stock boats across oceans and around the world (albeit often with rather extensive modifications). Says much about the sailors but perhaps less so about the suitability of such boats. But, yes, you are quite right, lots of modern, flat bottomed, thinly skinned, fin keelers with glued in structural grids are crossing oceans with no problems. Though, whether that undeniable success alone makes such design characteristics and build practice suitable or desirable in ocean going yachts is very much open for debate.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:59   #86

Quote:
The obvious masquerading as wisdom.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:49   #87

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Though, whether that undeniable success alone makes such design characteristics and build practice suitable or desirable in ocean going yachts is very much open for debate.
That undeniable success has proven the right of skinny production boats without doubt. Of course you can cross the road in heavy armored pick up or just in family station wagon.
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:39   #88

Boat: Irwin MK III 43ft

Although the vessel has a lot to do with it. I have done 4 crossings, been in 35 foot seas and 80 knots winds. The stronger the hull the better. Once you hear all the noises the the hull makes when you are in those condition, you will understand. But even if the strength of the boat plays a great part, the sailor's experience makes to biggest part. So your question should really be, am I a good enough sailor to make a 30 day crossing.
Riggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:40   #89

Candidly, I think it’s more about the “ride” and the sailor, than the Boat. If you look throughout history, folks have circumnavigated the globe in about anything, just shy of a wooden barrel. While I would prefer to do so in my Hylas as opposed to my Catalina, for reasons of comfort and sail ability, I think both would make the trip.
Bad Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:44   #90

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Too lazy to read all the posts...
More recent Beneteaus are not meant for blue sailing.
Older Jeanneaus are ...
PS I'm French and owns a Jeanneau...
Old Beneteaus ? where are they ?
How can you enjoy yourself if you fret about your boat ? Find a sturdy one (that does not mean a Tiger panzer) and enjoy your trip...
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria, beneteau, boat, jeanneau