Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2024, 11:15   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Articles. What types of articles do you like to see in magazines?

What types of articles attract you to web sites? What articles encourage you to subscribe? What content convinces you to stay?

The publishing business is going through a rough transition. You Tube and social media have driven may magazines under, most recently Good Old Boat. The remainder are struggling to figure out what people want and what content will attract advertisers (the reason you get a lot of reviews of big, glossy boats).

So what will attract your interest, and what will keep you? (Obviously, I write for a few mags.)

• Boat reviews. New (pretty )vs. older (more likely to actually buy).
  • Travel writing.
  • How-to-sail. Can include regulations, theory, and tweaks. Can blend into DIY.
  • Seamanship. Heavy weather. Break downs. Navigation. Safety.
  • Experiences. Stuff that went wrong.
  • Experiences. Refits, contractors, etc.
  • DIY. Repairs. Maintenance. Upgrades.
  • Product reviews without real testing. Typically they just read the specs and give advice, often on products they have never used.
  • Product reviews based on testing. A lot more work.
  • Stuff you never knew. Anything from high lift rudders to handy tools you didn't know about.
  • Anything else
I'm being told it is all about video, boat reviews, and lots of fast content. The problems is, those are the three things I don't give a fig about. I don't and won't write content that isn't researched and tested. I don't see the point.
Old 05-04-2024, 11:23   #2

Boat: sailboat
Re: Atricles. What types of articles do you like to see in magazines?

All I care about is how to fix what I have.
Only interested in quality, reliability and longevity.
No interest in anything disposable / with a computer chip.
Pictures of beautiful women with big tits will not help me under any circumstances.
Good Old Boat went under ??? Drew Frye is da bomb.
Kello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 11:28   #3

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

A bigger attractor than the type of article is the authority of the author and integrity of the writing.

As an example, if it is a boat review am I reading an opinion I respect, the impression of someone who doesn't actually have much knowledge about boats, or pablum to appease the advertiser (manufacturer).

I have written a few articles for the major magazines and I try to stick to subject matter that I know well or to experiential material that is firsthand. For example I am not an expert on cruising in Newfoundland but I spent several weeks cruising there in 2022 and wrote a good piece based on my firsthand experiences. I stated up front it was my first trip there and shared my impressions of the cruising ground as an experienced cruiser exploring a new area. I think writing from a firsthand perspective on a topic you don't have deep knowledge one should allow room for others having different experiences or opinions rather than trying to be the authority.

It seems with the proliferation of media outlets I spend more and more time reading content that leaves me "unconvinced".

I hope this helps.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 11:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
A bigger attractor than the type of article is the authority of the author and integrity of the writing.

As an example, if it is a boat review am I reading an opinion I respect, the impression of someone who doesn't actually have much knowledge about boats, or pablum to appease the advertiser (manufacturer).

I have written a few articles for the major magazines and I try to stick to subject matter that I know well or to experiential material that is firsthand. For example I am not an expert on cruising in Newfoundland but I spent several weeks cruising there in 2022 and wrote a good piece based on my firsthand experiences. I stated up front it was my first trip there and shared my impressions of the cruising ground as an experienced cruiser exploring a new area. I think writing from a firsthand perspective on a topic you don't have deep knowledge one should allow room for others having different experiences or opinions rather than trying to be the authority.

It seems with the proliferation of media outlets I spend more and more time reading content that leaves me "unconvinced".

I hope this helps.

It does.
Old 05-04-2024, 11:44   #5

My understanding is for magazines, advertising pays the bills, not subscription fees. So while number of subscribers sets the advertising rates, the challenge really is you gotta play nice to the advertisers which is why magazines have glowing reviews of boats (or cars or motorcycles or whatever the subject matter is).

By far, the best subscriber supported magazine in boating was Practical Sailor which is a tiny shadow of its former self.

Beginner topics would probably sell best. How to pick a boat, how to select a watermaker, what basic equipment is needed for simple cruising, international cruise destinations, etc.

Suggest looking at YouTube channels to see which episodes have extraordinarily high view counts to see what sells. Every YouTuber seems to have a few episodes that have 3x+ the number of average number of views.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 12:36   #6

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate

To me, the entire beginning stages of cruising is over played. There are HUGE books and more huge books about picking a boat, that basics of its use and maintenance and weather.. Move on, dont bother.

For me Professional Boatbuilder and Practical Sailor are the only boating magazines I would bother reading and I am currently only subscribed to ProBoat.

The rest, which I pick up once in a while at the grocery store or whatever just feel like a giant sales pitch or paid advertisement. Not to be too dark about it, but most of these glossy magazines are talking about products that I either am not interested in because they are useless junk or choose not to afford as part of my current lifestyle.

Admittedly, I have worked in the industry for many years and so am a bit outside of the pale as they say. Certainly not your average boat shopper/owner. So my opinions might be less useful.

But for example: if I see another article, youtube, or post, about an HH I will probably have to stifle the urge to vomit. Same goes for Rapido. Because while I think a performance boat is a beautiful thing: the crazy features like heated steering wheels and electric everything is huge mistake in my experience. I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone wants to maintain such complicated systems because I thought it was about sailing and adventuring, not doing a self study on your electrical engineering degree.

I would be honestly interested in learning more about the current state of technology regarding:

1: Hybrid Electric Systems

--Real world data only: no computer rendered crap. Photos. Test Results. Durability testing. Advanced aging tests.. etc.

2: ABYC explanation article series
--Take a section from the ABYC book and break it down with in-depth explanation and examples.

3: Renewable Composites
--Thermal resin systems. Current state of recyclability. Environmental tole of current industry practices. True life costs of creation and disposal.

4:Advances in Aluminum
--Aluminum is the most environmentally conscious boat building material on the planet and the techniques available today are incredible: lets dive into all of them: Strongall, CNC cut/roll. CNC interlock or egg crate.. Etc. Shop tours, costs, best builders etc.

5: Alternator Advancements
--Interested in modern high output alternators and their control systems. Engine optimization systems utilizing alternator output for maximum efficiency.

6: Solar Systems
--Bifacial has been around long enough for long term test results. New "custom" made cell systems for complicated structures.. etc. Mounting systems, proper installation methods, best controllers..

7: Customs Entry and Exit

--A yearly list of all the rules and regulations regarding entry and exit to most countries as well as a breakdown of the upcoming changes. Necessary paperwork, ports of entry and their port captain procedures..

Cruisers cruise presumably, but maybe a better way to discuss a place is to focus on information that enables other cruisers: common weather patters and variations, great anchorages, inlet navigation, navigation aid condition and types. Less photos of cool landscapes is fine by me.

I read all the time, but honestly dont really care to read about the sailing itself much anymore. Same old, same old: once you read the classics, it all seems similar..
Old 05-04-2024, 13:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBowSirocco View Post
To me, the entire beginning stages of cruising is over played. There are HUGE books and more huge books about picking a boat, that basics of its use and maintenance and weather.. Move on, dont bother.

For me Professional Boatbuilder and Practical Sailor are the only boating magazines I would bother reading and I am currently only subscribed to ProBoat.

The rest, which I pick up once in a while at the grocery store or whatever just feel like a giant sales pitch or paid advertisement. Not to be too dark about it, but most of these glossy magazines are talking about products that I either am not interested in because they are useless junk or choose not to afford as part of my current lifestyle.

Admittedly, I have worked in the industry for many years and so am a bit outside of the pale as they say. Certainly not your average boat shopper/owner. So my opinions might be less useful.

But for example: if I see another article, youtube, or post, about an HH I will probably have to stifle the urge to vomit. Same goes for Rapido. Because while I think a performance boat is a beautiful thing: the crazy features like heated steering wheels and electric everything is huge mistake in my experience. I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone wants to maintain such complicated systems because I thought it was about sailing and adventuring, not doing a self study on your electrical engineering degree.

I would be honestly interested in learning more about the current state of technology regarding:

1: Hybrid Electric Systems

--Real world data only: no computer rendered crap. Photos. Test Results. Durability testing. Advanced aging tests.. etc.

2: ABYC explanation article series
--Take a section from the ABYC book and break it down with in-depth explanation and examples.

3: Renewable Composites
--Thermal resin systems. Current state of recyclability. Environmental tole of current industry practices. True life costs of creation and disposal.

4:Advances in Aluminum
--Aluminum is the most environmentally conscious boat building material on the planet and the techniques available today are incredible: lets dive into all of them: Strongall, CNC cut/roll. CNC interlock or egg crate.. Etc. Shop tours, costs, best builders etc.

5: Alternator Advancements
--Interested in modern high output alternators and their control systems. Engine optimization systems utilizing alternator output for maximum efficiency.

6: Solar Systems
--Bifacial has been around long enough for long term test results. New "custom" made cell systems for complicated structures.. etc. Mounting systems, proper installation methods, best controllers..

7: Customs Entry and Exit

--A yearly list of all the rules and regulations regarding entry and exit to most countries as well as a breakdown of the upcoming changes. Necessary paperwork, ports of entry and their port captain procedures..

Cruisers cruise presumably, but maybe a better way to discuss a place is to focus on information that enables other cruisers: common weather patters and variations, great anchorages, inlet navigation, navigation aid condition and types. Less photos of cool landscapes is fine by me.

I read all the time, but honestly dont really care to read about the sailing itself much anymore. Same old, same old: once you read the classics, it all seems similar..

Excellent points. There is a LOT in books. I have a wall with more than 100, I bet. Lots of good writers with many perspectives. AND when you write a book you have time to think it through and finish your points. In videos and articles they get cut for size or time. I wrote a few books for that reason; you can finish a thought.

Professional Boatbuilder is very good. Nuff' said.

Re. gadgets, are we going to learn that the Dali crashed (I live and work nearish there) because of a computerized control network failure? I know enough about the fuel side (that was my industry) to suspect dirty fuel does not fit the information we have.

Proboat builder and the audience and budget (through vendors) to go deep. I'm jealous of some of their coverage. Some is over the top, but a lot is very good. Motivating.
Old 05-04-2024, 13:25   #8

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Well, I write too, so I am biased and not your typical reader. Personally, I really enjoy the actual tests of equipment, like anchoring tests that are conducted somewhat scientifically. Panope did a great job with his video series, sadly now ended. I enjoy the Practical Sailor stuff, though inevitably only a small percentage of the articles really interest me. I enjoy the practical tips and tricks types of articles about new ideas. An example is your articles about using floating nylon tubing for chafe gear. I enjoy articles about anchoring wrinkles. I enjoy the seamanship stuff from the perspective of what really happened on trips and how the people dealt with it--think Heavy Weather Sailing. I like the travel stories, but from real cruisers not someone on a charter. I I like equipment roundups explaining the latest greatest gear without any real testing because otherwise I might not know about new things, but OTOH not very interested in the new boats themselves. They are almost all hideous and hideously expensive, and way too big for me to even consider.
Old 05-04-2024, 13:35   #9

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Create a list of the most popular topics here on Cruisers Forum and you would be close to what cruisers want to read about: lithium battery setups, anchors and anchoring, choosing a cruising boat, how to go between A and B, and why do cruisers quit cruising...
Old 05-04-2024, 14:16   #10

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

You've got 2 choices here.
1. Write because you want to. If you're writing about what you know, than you don't really need input.
2. Write to make money. This is becoming increasingly difficult.

SEO content writers will beat your a$$ 4 ways from Sunday without ever setting foot on a boat if you don't understand Links, backlinks, or website optimization (and about 200 more metrics. You'll need to use keyword research tools, ubersuggests, SEMrush, people also ask, and a dozen more. You need to understand niche writing and have a plan for expansion...etc. There's just too much to list.

I liken Good ol Boat and many other magazines to Sears. Sears had the absolute power to beat Amazon before Amazon made it big. I picture some young smart guy telling the board members they should move online and the response being "Hah... that's just a fad sonny boy"
Anyways. New York Times bought Wirecutter and is now in the review business raking in millions.
I could go on for hours, but the point is, they sat on their bums and tried to wait out the inevitable and it didn't work.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 15:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron E View Post
You've got 2 choices here.
1. Write because you want to. If you're writing about what you know, than you don't really need input.
2. Write to make money. This is becoming increasingly difficult.

SEO content writers will beat your a$$ 4 ways from Sunday without ever setting foot on a boat if you don't understand Links, backlinks, or website optimization (and about 200 more metrics. You'll need to use keyword research tools, ubersuggests, SEMrush, people also ask, and a dozen more. You need to understand niche writing and have a plan for expansion...etc. There's just too much to list.

I liken Good ol Boat and many other magazines to Sears. Sears had the absolute power to beat Amazon before Amazon made it big. I picture some young smart guy telling the board members they should move online and the response being "Hah... that's just a fad sonny boy"
Anyways. New York Times bought Wirecutter and is now in the review business raking in millions.
I could go on for hours, but the point is, they sat on their bums and tried to wait out the inevitable and it didn't work.

And the reviews on Wirecutter, for example, are generally worth exactly what you paid for them. They pull together specs ... but does it actually work? Who knows.

Sears had too much momentum, impossible to turn the bus.

Good Old Boat ... I think they stuck to what they wanted to do and that business model tanked. Many of the writers and editors would rather do something -- anything -- other than feed a content mill or write about glitzy new boats and write infomercials pretending to be reviews. I fall in that catagory. I write and I research because I want to. Hell, per hour I make a 10x more through engineering consultant. I better than fair in my career niche. I'm not going to write fluff stuff that bores me. Some of my articles tend to be minutia. There was a tiny angle I wanted to explore.

Perhaps if I was newer to all this more would be exciting. By now it all seems either ordinary (covered in books or common experience), I don't care (electronics, new boats), or I've already dug into it (about 800 articles).

My problem with video is that I can't skim through to decide if it interests me or if there is information I can use. I can skim an article in seconds to minutes, and then read all or part of it, as seems worthwhile. With a video I end up spending 25 minutes, and often left feeling I've just wasted time on nothing. Not that the video was poor, mind you, just that I didn't get anything useful from it. It was either stuff I already know or don't care about.
Old 05-04-2024, 15:32   #12

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
And the reviews on Wirecutter, for example, are generally worth exactly what you paid for them. They pull together specs ... but does it actually work? Who knows.
The buy grew NYT digital subscriber base by almost 200k and gave them a 47 million profit for the quarter. So yes, It worked.

Quote:

Sears had too much momentum, impossible to turn the bus.
I'm sure that was one of the excuses used.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 05:24   #13

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron E View Post
The buy grew NYT digital subscriber base by almost 200k and gave them a 47 million profit for the quarter. So yes, It worked.
I'm sure this was intentionally diverting from the original intent of "did the product work?" and completely describes the problem with content today. Content is created accepted by publishers to produce income first, and providing value is a secondary concern.

Just wait. It is all about to get much worse with AI. With AI I can generate an article in a couple minutes. Will I take the many hours required to research if the content is actually valid? I will, but people interested in earning income rather than providing value will not.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 14:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Create a list of the most popular topics here on Cruisers Forum and you would be close to what cruisers want to read about: lithium battery setups, anchors and anchoring, choosing a cruising boat, how to go between A and B, and why do cruisers quit cruising...

I don't think it is that simple. We're not typical, I think.
Old 05-04-2024, 14:05   #15

I'm interested reading about 3 topics:

#1 'newish' developments that may (or may not) be mature enough to take/trust (offshore) sailing. Topic atm might be starlink and lithium and 3di - are they actually ready for prime time offshore, and if so actual practical details on how to set-up/use/etc. But only from someone with actual technical knowledge, with analytical and research skills, and without mfger's sponsoring (even if that sponsorship is hidden as it often was for one well-known tech writer). . . . so someone who brings more than an opinion and an anecdotal experience.

#2 equally, interested in 'old tech', like from the 1970's and back, that have sort of been lost, drown out/crowded out but still potentially quite useful for some niches . . . . like double headsails for downwind passages, various types of old rope work, etc. With the same requirements for the writer as above.

3. Topics where the 'conventional wisdom' is just flat-out wrong. I know we wrote two articles on two topics like this, and am sure there are more such areas. And a whole new area may (or may not) have opened up as climate change potentially changes some of the wisdom.\, eg like about how best to approach some oceanic routing.

I'm perhaps a bit unusual because I know rather a lot about the mainstream stuff, and usually, there is already a ton written on it. And the 'trendy' "'breakthru" (but not so well tested) stuff will be covered by the influencers and videos, so it is the topics at the edges but where actual knowledge exists that would be worthwhile to me.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gaz