Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2021, 10:41   #136

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Are Grills Worth The Trouble?

My Magma has been in my basement for the last 30 years. A good cast iron pan took its place on the boat. No, it's not on the rail but on the stove top, out of the wind.
Old 19-09-2021, 11:42   #137
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
I’ve done that for my oven - but it’s placed on the bottom of the oven box. Where do you put it for general use in a BBQ? I’ve used Pizza stones on a home BBQ, but not tried it for heat retention. Are you leaving it on top of the grates and cooking everything on it, or somehow down below - between grate and burner?
On top of the grate and use it for everything from bread, pizza, to steaks and roast pork. We frequently turn of the bbq and cook burgers, chops or steaks from the residual heat from the stone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inject ginger pork 2.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	245602   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2999.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	245603  

Name:	IMG_2914.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	245604   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1381.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	245605  

Name:	5 stuffed peppers.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	245606   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1393.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	245607  

Old 19-09-2021, 18:24   #138
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Thanks boatpoker, you've given me some great ieas
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 18:45   #139

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I have a similar installation (Magma on the side railing aft). We do not have problems with flame out or slow cooking.

Possibly two differences:
  1. We used the gas valve from the bigger Magma Party Kettle which puts out more gas.
  2. We mounted the Magma so the lid, when open, protects the flame.

Previously we put tin foil around the bottom to keep wind from coming in the holes below the burner.

(I time my cooking to the number of songs which are played on my stereo. One song for grilled Tuna, salmon, or thin pork chops, two songs for a steak, and three for chicken, grill turned down. So you can see we don't spend 20 minutes for thin pork chops. Obviously this does not work with Neal Young songs)
I had endless problems with my magma grill. Hard to light, blew out easily, etc. I called them, and they said they shipped some with the wrong regulator(wrong orifice size). They sent me a new regulator, and it worked much better. I still have issues and don't like the grill, but have to compliment their support, and it is a workable grill with the right regulator, whereas it was pathetically unusable with the wrong one.
Old 20-09-2021, 16:21   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Wing MDR View Post
I just bought a boat that came with a Magma Kettle Grill. We cooked out last weekend and I was a bit underwhelmed.

I'm kind of leaning towards taking it off and going with canopy with davits for my dinghy.

Wondering whether it's a necessity or a perk?

What's the consensus

There is a stove/ oven in the galley, so I can still cook. Attachment 245137
Never give up the grill. I have a Magma Catalina and a Traeger permanently mounted. The Traeger is the tailgater model with a custom mount that I made. Agree that the Magma' are not the best. But I grill a couple of times per week. Both our are permanent on the stern of our sail boat.
jimellifritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 18:40   #141

Boat: Tom Colvin Doxy 41

Weber
kristjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 04:43   #142

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Another big vote for the Weber gas grills, they are the cats meow. Whether the Q1200, or the Q2000(bigger) they just plain work well and don't have heat loss issues. A custom bracket to rail mount is worth the cost, and a cover, for $17 or so on Amazon is worth the extra few dollars.
Old 25-02-2024, 22:32   #143
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

Just wish Weber had a marine mount. While custom mounts to put them on a rail seem reasonable, the looks are sadly not the best.
Old 26-02-2024, 04:42   #144

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I've used the standard Magma kettle grills for decades and love them. The parts wear out, particularly the inner flame spreader and the valves, but they are all replaceable. Maybe not the best grill, but on my boats they have worked just great and I have no problem in even quite windy anchorages. During the summer in New England we grill practically every day.
Old 26-02-2024, 04:44   #145

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Well, since we're dredging up this old thread...

Without digging back through ancient posts, I imagine I posted a glowing report on my new Weber here. Since then my opinion has changed.

Weber has this crazy habit of turning the gas down to a very low setting if you don't shut it off in exactly the right sequence. There is a also a failure mode which engages that "feature" permanently. You're left trying to figure out why your food is taking so long to cook. Then the only solution is to buy their obscenely expensive replacement regulator.

I solved the problem by buying a no-name replacement regulator from Ali Express. This one has a wider range of gas volume than the OEM version, so I can turn the grill up as high as I need to if it's a bit windy. Probably not quite as safe, but I keep a close watch on it when cooking.

I still like the aluminum shell instead of stainless, which in a salt water environment is really stain...less. And with the better regulator connected to a larger propane bottle it works better than most of the "marine" grills I've used in windy conditions. Much better than any Magma I've used, which I've found grossly overpriced and underperforming.

But, yeah, you want to mount it to some sort of table. I used a piece of Starboard-like PVC board on top of an outdoor cabinet. A rail mount would be hard to make sturdy and stable enough.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2024, 04:48   #146

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
But, yeah, you want to mount it to some sort of table. I used a piece of Starboard-like PVC board on top of an outdoor cabinet. A rail mount would be hard to make sturdy and stable enough.
I really like the rail mount of the Magma grills for a few reasons. Most of the drippings fall overboard. It's always there ready to go at a moment's notice with no setup required. The heat and smoke blow harmlessly away from the boat.
Old 26-02-2024, 05:59   #147

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
On top of the grate and use it for everything from bread, pizza, to steaks and roast pork. We frequently turn of the bbq and cook burgers, chops or steaks from the residual heat from the stone.
=================

those pics are inspiring

specially the pizza and the bell peppers!!!
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2024, 06:09   #148

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

My original Magma with the standard gas regulator wouldn't get hot enough to cook properly.
A friend lent me his high flow regulator and believe me it changed everything.I can cook steaks etc as if on a charcoal grill. $32 I think.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2024, 06:16   #149

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

We use a, back than, 65€ fan assisted charcoal grill from Amazon.

https://amzn.eu/d/ctwugPF

Uses 5 pieces of charcoal for a meal for the two of us.

We replaced the internal battery with a lead for a USB powerbank and added a wok by IKEA as cover.

We place it on the table when we use it.

Advantage is, it uses very little charcoal and if anything would go wrong you can grab it and toss it over board if you need to.
The outside stays cool when it's in use.

Zero problems in 2 years use. Simple, low budget and efficient.

If on a monohull we would add some sort of strap down mechanism, but then again we usually only use it at anchor.
Old 26-02-2024, 08:49   #150

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsend View Post
My original Magma with the standard gas regulator wouldn't get hot enough to cook properly.
A friend lent me his high flow regulator and believe me it changed everything.I can cook steaks etc as if on a charcoal grill. $32 I think.
Yes! The Weber regulator is weak even if it's not in the common failure mode where it goes into some "safe" (very low) mode. But it's possible to trigger that mode just by shutting it off improperly. There's a complicated reset procedure you'd need to perform or it will never get hot again. A glaring weakness in an otherwise pretty good line of grills.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grill