Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2023, 03:18   #1

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
A/C brand recommendation

Looking to add A/c system to my new to me Sea Sprite 34. I am looking for brand recommendations. I had a Webasto FCF on my Wetsail 32, seemed loud, but work flawless. I'm considering a 16k Marine Aire unit...great reviews, great customer service and claim to be 60% quieter with sound shield. The Marine Aire units are about $400 more but if they are that much quieter....well worth the money. Also open to other brands
Suggestions?
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2023, 04:05   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: A/C brand recommendation

We've had good luck (so far, knock wood) with Dometic DTG self-contained units.

Our first were replacements for and descendants from Marine Airrrrrr Vector Compact models... originally named Vector Turbo... but eventually morphed to the (I think current) DTG name under Dometic ownership. Our recent installs have been replacements for Cruisair Stowaway models, same footprint as those too, etc.

CTM models of the same size are said to be decent alternatives, can use the same wall panel controllers, slightly less expensive. No personal experience.

-Chris
Old 26-07-2023, 05:02   #3

Boat: Pearson 424

After 21 years of service, my Mermaid 16,500 btu unit stopped working. Due to the symptoms I was pretty sure it was dead. Being in Charleston(very hot) and living on the boat, I didn’t want to spend time & money having someone come and trouble shoot it so I called the company and ordered a new one. They build to order and it took a week for the new one to arrive. After I installed the new unit only the fan would come on. I called their tech division and the employee walked me through all of the possible install problems. As it turned out the Honeywell thermostat was defective. He had me connect the old thermostat, which got the unit to work while they shipped a new thermostat. The new unit runs great, I had the heat option added for $100, and it’s built as rugged as the previous one. I fully expect to get another 20 years from this one.
Not long ago they changed their name from Mermaid to Freedom Medical and Marine Solutions.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2023, 05:18   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Flagship Marine, built in Florida using non-propietary parts. Much more heavily built than the others. My last boat had one for 23, years full time liveaboard, I spent $40 on two relays in that time and picked them up at a local electrical supply outfit.

A new Flagship unit was my first purchase for our current boat (still full time on boat) and still runs great after nine years.

https://flagshipmarine.com/
Old 26-07-2023, 05:49   #5

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Don't forget to investigate the service network for whatever brand you buy.

At least one company I am aware of requires you to remove the AC unit and ship it back to them -- a time-consuming, costly task -- if something is not working properly.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2023, 06:24   #6

Thank you for all suggestions. Marine Aire was recommended to me buy a friend. His unit failed, marine aire, they sent him required part for free...unit was out of warranty and nearly 10years old....pretty good customer service.
Old 26-07-2023, 14:20   #7

Also, Size recommendation from those with similar boats in mid-atlantic region. My previous Westail 32 had 16k btu unit. it did well. Thinking my Sea Sprite 34 may have slightly less interior volume, but still considering 16kbtu unit.
I understand there are many variables but just seeing what the general consensus is.

thank
CF

Tags
men