Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 09:24   #91
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: 41 year old and seeking a new life in Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Should i take classes near the Sea our are the inland classes acceptable? I am thinking about the ASA series.
Perfectly ok to start inland. Just as many ways to sink boat and kill self and crew as at Sea, and with Lakes even a few variations of their own .

Nonetheless before heading across an ocean would be wise to also get some time in at Sea, Coastal.....but with a solid learning curve behind ya from the lakes (on sailing and about boats / skippering / crewing) and a willingness to add to own knowledge it won't take long to get yer sea legs. Navigation will be a bit different but fundamentals not (still about not hitting stuff ).

If the lake was on my doorstep and the sea not then lake would be easily my starting point.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:45   #92

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: 41 Year Old and Seeking a New Life in Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Hello all, I am 41 and am seeking to jump out of the rat race and seek a life of adventure. I know this seems a bit idealistic but after all these years of complete unhappiness with clock-in clock-out, "yes, Sir" because your my superior, "Do it!" because I am your superior. Work, Soccer, Home; Work, Soccer, Home; Rinse and Repeat. I AM FED UP. I want to live the life I always dreamed of. Since a kid I though I would have a yacht and be exploring the world. I still want to be a good father to my kids but I must LIVE. This not just a rant and I will pose a question shortly but please let me qualify my self first. I have never been into Getting Rich or living the "so-called" American Dream. My life dream has been Happiness and Freedom. Of these, I have found little. I have been different than most people I meet in the since that I have not desire to be "Still" but have moved around and sought adventure but within the restraints of maintaining the 40hour per week job and a roof (that i didn't want; I wanted a damn boat).

Here are the questions or requests for feedback:
(1) Are there other over Forties out there that have made such a life change? Please share some Pros and Cons.

(2) Anyone else feel free to add your Pro and Cons; Hell, you can even Debunk the Myth of Adventure if you want.

(3) What are Options for a person that is not super rich? (but I don't see this stopping me. Stubborn)

Thanks all,
Hey, Dad. If you still want to be a good father to your kids, sail near them. You get to LIVE after they are 18 or after they are settled which for some means after they are 25 or 30 if it's a son.

You can have tons of adventures on your local lake. You'd be surprised. Just go out when a nice strong storm front is going through. Also, during the years the kids are growing up, you can become a pretty darn good sailor.

As for the folks before that are saying go for it, it obvious you don't have kids or didn't read the OP.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:46   #93

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Hey, Dad. If you still want to be a good father to your kids, sail near them. You get to LIVE after they are 18 or after they are settled which for some means after they are 25 or 30 if it's a son.

As for the folks before that are saying go for it, it obvious you don't have kids or didn't read the OP.
Did he say he wasn't going to take them on the adventure together?
Old 06-06-2013, 13:00   #94

Boat: Currently Boatless!

Quote:
It's obvious that your 'obvious' comment is not so obvious... I have kids and did read the OP. My statement still stands as it is a general statement that can include all his family if need be
settlednomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 13:16   #95

Boat: Islander 36

Carolina Blue,
The first thing I will say is that it is a lot easier said than done; however, once you make the change, the most amazing thing will happen: you will get your life back.

My partner and I (he was 41 and I was 31) cut the docklines in December 2011. He hung up a very lucrative business and I quit a well-paying sales position, and now, 18 months later, we have never felt more alive.

I've written about this on my blog Always Go Blog - specifically a guest post on another great blog JC McDowell and the Family Unit

Good luck and do it - it will be the hardest, bestest thing you've ever done!
Ceal
cealpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 14:45   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBH49520 View Post
It's obvious that your 'obvious' comment is not so obvious... I have kids and did read the OP. My statement still stands as it is a general statement that can include all his family if need be
Nice, he's going to include his family when he's in the south seas cruising while they are in Carolina or where ever. So your kids are with you then?
Old 06-06-2013, 14:55   #97

Boat: Currently Boatless!

Quote:
Nice, he's going to include his family when he's in the south seas cruising while they are in Carolina or where ever. So your kids are with you then?
Thomm - I've no idea how he will incorporate his family in his sailing future, nor do I want to know, it's his personal life and business. In his OP he asked for ideas and suggestions from people over 40, as well as other categories/age groups. I fell into the over 40 category (and don't I know it ) and gave an insight, some information that I had to hand based on my own experiences...that's all.

No my children aren't with me but that's my personal life and business and not for this forum.
settlednomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 15:26   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBH49520 View Post
Thomm - I've no idea how he will incorporate his family in his sailing future, nor do I want to know, it's his personal life and business. In his OP he asked for ideas and suggestions from people over 40, as well as other categories/age groups. I fell into the over 40 category (and don't I know it ) and gave an insight, some information that I had to hand based on my own experiences...that's all.

No my children aren't with me but that's my personal life and business and not for this forum.
Fair enough. Don't mean to criticize. I'm just trying to save some heartache down the road I know because I was very, very lucky or something.

See example below although I probably shouldn't I'll post it for other dreamers even though my experience was somewhat different.
Old 06-06-2013, 15:28   #99

I've seen enough bad advice given on this forum so I decided to say something.

I'm talking from experience. We older folks try to always help others. And by the way, I don't mean to criticize. Just trying to save some deep heartache down the road.

When I was 39, I was forced due to my job to move to Pensacola, FL (yep, please don't throw me into that briar patch) from the hard streets of Memphis, TN. And guess what, I had just 3 years earlier taken up sailing (Hobie 16) but growing up on the Eastern Shore of VA had always been into boating.

Wife doesn't want to go (already married 21 years by then) but I had to. Luckily for me, my 14 year old son was able to visit a lot and later moved down at 16. I by then had given him my first Hobie 16 and bought another for myself. He always raced with me in Memphis (the TVA Lakes in Mississippi)

Anyway, I got to watch him sail his Hobie 16 across Pensacola Bay in the summers with friends age 12-14 to meet girls on Pensacola Beach of other divorced parent that were visiting for the summer. I got to watch him be swallowed up by storms with 35 knot gusts and bringing himself, the boat, and his crew (two little cutups age 12 and 14) back safely. ( I was watching with binoculars totally freaking out the whole time) No parent wants to miss this kind of stuff!!! He gained valuable knowledge racing with me but he is the natural sailor. Plus he started sailing at 10 years old.

I have also seen him drive my beast of a catamaran NACRA 6.0 in 20 knot winds and holding true at speeds around 18-20 knots. Of course, he had his 200lb buddy as crew. My son's 140.

I believe by doing this I allowed my son to live. And that's another story............he got a scholarship (didn't go) and is playing music on Bourbon St, New Orleans, LA

Back to Pensacola though for a minute, some of the best catamaran sailors in the US are from the area (plus Ft Walton ) so it was awesome. (and hard but you learn)

Moral of the story, it would have meant nothing if my son was never able to get down there and get involved!

Old 06-06-2013, 15:46   #100

The grown up kid from the story above practicing.............yeah I'm freaking a bit cause I'm a dad remembering the good times.

Old 06-06-2013, 15:46   #101
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

sometimes walking away is the same thing as burning your bridges. also you might not want to get rid of everything .. rent a storage unit to keep a few things. one day you may be looking for that stuff. to simulate living aboard .. move into your closet
Old 06-06-2013, 16:50   #102

Boat: Watkins 29'
Quote:
The grown up kid from the story above practicing.............yeah I'm freaking a bit cause I'm a dad remembering the good times.

Nice...
Old 06-06-2013, 17:28   #103
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 41 Year Old and Seeking a New Life in Sailing

Quote:

**** Hot.... One of my fav;s from de Boss...
Love his adaption...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 17:34   #104

The beast: '90's era NACRA 6.0 (found on youtube)

Old 06-06-2013, 18:10   #105

I promise this is my last catamaran post, but family guys these boats are fun and cheap and easily stored most times:

Hobie 16: Click the upper part for a large normal you tube video.............

Tags
sailing