Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2013, 13:59   #181

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: 41 Year Old and Seeking a New Life in Sailing

Yep.

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 15:59   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
This thread is great. I'm 28 right now and have been working on making a life of sailing a reality for several years now.

I have a career as a financial analyst right now and have come to realize that the only way to make my dream a reality in a financial sense is to save some serious cash. I've developed an investment strategy that's focused on generating income--high yield dividend payers, corporate bonds, etc. I've been making decent progress so far.

Also, I wasn't saving money at nearly the rate I needed to. I'm discovering that the only way to build up a lot of money is to get it in big chunks. I've been altering my career path somewhat to focus on international placements that pay HUGE premiums.

Have you thought about some more unconventional and adventurous careers such as working on oil platforms or deep sea fishing? Those tend to pay a ton of money and have large periods of off-time. For example, rig workers usually do 28 days on and 28 days off--while making around $20k per month. That might enable you to make plenty of money for the cruising time, and then have a while month off to sail around! It could also allow you some quality time with the kids.

I think I'm discovering that a cruising lifestyle will definitely require some out-of-the-box thinking. Good luck man.
Thanks Stug, I will have to look into this. I wander if the Oil rigs hire chemist and where I start the search? I may have to do some internet searching.
Carolina Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 16:04   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Or you can stay in the box, move near the coast and teach yourself to sail on a boat that you bought for $2,000 or so.

Plus sailing ain't that hard:

it's just different on different days: (sorry for the video quality but you can see the point I think)

Hey Thomm, buying a boat and learning to sail is certainly on my short list. However, moving to the coast is a tough one as I will still need to work. I am certainly open to relocating but I have to consider the wife, kids, and job. If I could get the job I think I can get the family onboard.
Old 22-06-2013, 16:29   #184

Boat: Bristol 27

Well, you are in a beautiful part of the country. Maybe you could get into hiking. Did you check that windy video? It's not always tons of fun on the water, and if I hadn't been within a few miles of land, the waves would have been huge in that wind.........
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 09:21   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Well, you are in a beautiful part of the country. Maybe you could get into hiking. Did you check that windy video? It's not always tons of fun on the water, and if I hadn't been within a few miles of land, the waves would have been huge in that wind.........
LOL Thomm, don't give up on me so soon. There is still a little fight left in this bull.
Old 24-06-2013, 09:30   #186

Boat: Passport 40

I say go for it! I'm, too, am in my 40s (and my husband in his 60s). We are going to be moving back on board our Passport 40 at the end of the year - with our two young children. We moved back on land when I was pregnant with our son back in 2010 and have been yearning to get back to life on the water since.

That being said, keep in mind that you will have LOTS to do to prep yourself and your family for getting ready to sail. I started out by taking a live-aboard sailing course in Ft. Lauderdale, FL (Blue Water Sailing School - Sailing Lessons, Sailing Courses, ASA Bareboat Charter Certifications) over 10 years ago.

Other things you'll need to research besides the obvious boat that will take you where you want to go safely and still be comfortable: a source of income, where you might want to go (live-aboard slips aren't available everywhere and some places don't allow you to anchor out), how dependent you want to be on electronics, homeschooling for the kids (we will be using Calvert Homepage).... I could go on and on, but the things listed will be a good place to begin. It takes a lot of work and planning, but I wouldn't change the decision I made 10+ years ago to do what you are wanting to now
captaghatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing