Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 20:07   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: 41 Year Old and Seeking a New Life in Sailing

Plus, you get much more use per dollar spent. I will gladly take my little one out for a couple of hours without thinking about it. Used to be for a day at least in the bigger ones to make it worthwhile.

Coops.
Old 04-06-2013, 20:25   #47

Re: 41 year old and seeking a new life in Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
A couple thousand a month in reliable income would be really nice. We're working on that. We don't like expensive restaurants or fancy clothes, but a few more spares and marina money for hurricane season without worrying looks really good from this side of the fence.
We had a chunk when we started but unexpected expenses after the launch flailed that pretty thoroughly.
SWW, do you live aboard your boat? is this couple grand a month live aboard expenses? or are you talking about the expenses you need when traveling about?
Carolina Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 20:29   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Carolina, there are different paths to a successful life with the sea and much will depend on how you like to do things, make decisions, learn, handle risk, etc. Some people jump in feet first and succeed, but most people do better with a little more planning, building skills, trying different things.
Sailing school classes are fine, but not cheap (though maybe cheaper than some mistakes that people can make). Community sailing programs and clubs, crewing on other people's boats (a bit of an art form but not too hard to pick up), reading, knocking about in little dinghies, basic boating classes (Coast Guard Auxiliary, Power Squadrons, state boating and waterways/parks/etc. departments), free seminars at boat shows or at boat suppliers, etc., joining lower-cost or free clubs and groups, and just hanging out with sailors are all good paths.
RGSCpat, this is great stuff. Thank you.
Old 04-06-2013, 20:39   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkle Toad View Post
Your too old to start because .. .. .. . um no .. maybe your too young to start because .. .. .. hmm nope nothing there either.. go for it.

most of all have fun. keep us informed as things progress and I hope to see you out there someday.
Unkle Toad, thanks. I will continue participating on these forums with up dates as appropriate. You guys have been great.
Old 04-06-2013, 20:42   #50

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Plus, you get much more use per dollar spent. I will gladly take my little one out for a couple of hours without thinking about it. Used to be for a day at least in the bigger ones to make it worthwhile.

Coops.
Old 04-06-2013, 20:49   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
There is a $2500 25' Grampian ($3500 with a 9.9 Yamaha) which includes a good mooring in the protected Town Creek harbor behind Discovery Diving in Beaufort, NC. It doesn't look too awful and the owner claims it is seaworthy, it's been listed with Eastern Carolina Craigslist. I know an old-timer that went through two hurricanes on a 25' Grampian in Taylor's Creek. Buy it and get started, sell it or give it away if you don't like being on the water. Note it doesn't have full standing head room, but then neither does a 41' Concordia.

Everybody talks about needing a bunch of money saved to start being a liveaboard, which does make everything easier and is necessary if you plan to leave the country, but if you are resourceful and determine to be happy no matter the circumstances, money ceases to drive your existence. I wouldn't go back to the rat race for for any amount of money and living a minimalist lifestyle with your children would be one of the greatest gifts you can give them IMO.
LOL Azul, I don't have enough info to determine whether this is a sound buy right now. I'll need some more time to educate my self.

I cordially hate the rat race. I truly am a simple person. Would eventually like to travel on a budget. Teaching the kids to live minimal, now there is a task. Having to undue some stinking thinking with them.
Old 04-06-2013, 20:53   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
I think I missed something. How old are your children?
Two cents here, living on a boat and cruising on a boat are two different things. You can live on a boat in a marina on the hook or on a mooring ball. It's just like an apt with water views and tiny.
You can cruise on a boat moving around seeing different places but it's hard to find solid work so it takes cash.
Either way it's a life style and your personality has to meet that life style.. Have fun and as it was stated earlier if ya got to make a 180 hey so what you tried it!
Cap, I wanna be out cruising....Bad
Old 04-06-2013, 21:04   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
In my opinion, first, decide what kind of sailing you want to do. If you're going to live aboard, you'll need to look at living and storage space, berth size, cooking arrangements, etc.

If you're going to work a regular job, and just cruise for a few weeks or months a year, you might want to look at some decent trailerable sail boats.
You can choose your sailing grounds, depending on the weather, and get there at 60-70 mph.

If or when you decide to sell it, a smaller boat will usually keep its value better.

My second bit of advice would be to figure what you can comfortably afford, then go with less. Then if your financial situation changes, you may still be able to keep cruising on less.

Just my 2¢.

I would probably need to work and cruise in the short term. I will keep the advice to figure out what I can afford and go under that for financial stability.Thanks
Old 04-06-2013, 21:13   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Its tough mate... take it from a true boat bum... you spend everything on your boat and live on 1 sausage roll a day for 4 months to get her set to sail... don't believe me...? ask Alan at Sailcraft, Oriental... he watched me struggle to get my boat set for the crossing to the UK.
Wife and kids along...? mate... work a few more years and get some cash together else you'll end up like me...
Just another bum trying to scratch a living and hoping he die's at sea coz he can't afford to get buried....
I may be laughing... but I aint joking....
Boatman, your not joking...but you are laughing. I have read quite a few of your posts and you have found a way to enjoy life or at least laugh at it. I see a joy in you and I hope its catchy.

I am taking from this that you have had to make tough sacrifices and you make them again. Right?
Old 04-06-2013, 21:28   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I can't see where your dream and sailing (or is it about cruising?) overlap.

Why not a bike then? Wind in your hair (if any left) and still a good father (unless you started early, 40 is not when you are actually free from 'being a father'). God invented the universe, Devil invented universities ;-)

Why not search the memory and find something that you actually did (rather than dreamt of doing) when young - something that gave you the feelings that you are now once again after? But mind you what gave you pleasure when you were young may no longer hold any charm. Still, why not have a test ride. With well fastened seat-belt.

Not to say all sailing is bad and could lead to even more trouble - even alcohol (in small doses) is known to have some positive effects. So one is free to try everything, with moderation.

As far as your age goes: you are young and you can master whatever you (truly) apply yourself too. You know there are people who learn to ski or ride a horse when they are 80 or so. Can do.

Cheers,
b.
Barnakiel, while growing up on the pacific I would be Surfing, Bodyboarding, or Deepsea fishing and nearby I would see cruisers and sailboats going by and I knew that was what I wanted. This desire has never left me. Time has just moved faster than my ability to realize the desire.

I still will be a good father to my kids because they are a part of me and my life. I make no plans that don't include them in the equation but thanks for keeping me honest.

I may dream but I must keep the goals realistic.
Old 04-06-2013, 21:30   #56

@carolina blue, you're a fellow North Carolinian, and though I'm 31 I have the same dream. Currently I'm in the money piling phase trying to save as much as possible because I know cruising like everything will probably cost more than I hope. If not (yeah right), I can afford to do it longer.

My wife and I have been living on peanuts when compared to our incomes to realize our dream. I don't know how anyone can do it without a windfall.

Might take a few years of saving and planning imho but I refuse to think that it can't be done. Best of luck to you and hope to meet you at a Carolina style pig pickin' in some far off locale one day!
owengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 21:45   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by owengg View Post
@carolina blue, you're a fellow North Carolinian, and though I'm 31 I have the same dream. Currently I'm in the money piling phase trying to save as much as possible because I know cruising like everything will probably cost more than I hope. If not (yeah right), I can afford to do it longer.

My wife and I have been living on peanuts when compared to our incomes to realize our dream. I don't know how anyone can do it without a windfall.

Might take a few years of saving and planning imho but I refuse to think that it can't be done. Best of luck to you and hope to meet you at a Carolina style pig pickin' in some far off locale one day!
Owen, I am in Asheville also. In box or friend me (however, this site works).

Are you guys taking sailing courses?
Old 04-06-2013, 21:59   #58

We are planning on going to the Annapolis show in October and maybe booking one of the bareboat charter classes there.
owengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 22:00   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersmith2017 View Post
Not sure what I'm looking for just yet, maybe just someone with a similar interest to what I have. Last year I posted the classic "dreamer" post. It never panned out, but I have changed my plan now. I'm selling everything and I bought a 30' sailboat to head down to the Bahamas/Caribbean for as long as my wad-o-cash lasts. I think I have enough for about 3 years.

Ideally, it would be great if there was someone else like me out there, male or female (not looking for a soulmate or anything), who is looking to do the same thing. Maybe life is boring for you, maybe you've been wronged and are just leaving a bad relationship, or maybe you're just a traveler looking for your next adventure. I know this is a long shot, but the right person might be out there. I don't really *need* someone to go with me, but it would be very helpful to have another person along.

Send me a private message if you want to chat, and find out if it's what you want.
I only partially felt like a Jackass after reading the above quote in a different thread. Something told mine was "the classic dreamer" post. but what ever you guys do don't let me sell everything one year from now
Old 04-06-2013, 22:55   #60

Boat: hunter 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Is there some kind of way you could spend the summer near a sailing comunity? WITH your kids ... and all of you learn to sail. For instance, in St. Petersburg there are numerous places for both kids and adults to learn to sail.

You could do eomething like work at Wal-Mart part time pretty easily.

Man you should see how much rain they just forecast for us. I have to drop everything and go do the laundry NOW or walk through a monsoon later. That's one of many realities about living aboard.
IN GULFPORT, you can join the yacht club for about 400 bucks a year. free boats to use. another 200 for sailing lessons. good deal for sure.
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing