Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2021, 04:48   #16

Boat: Quickstep 24
Re: 40ft yacht - French Canal

If the route is all good except for some "part", why not truck it around the 'bad spot'? You sure don't want to have to turn around and go all the way back and have gained nothing.
RiverRat37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:34   #17

Boat: Catalina 320

Some French canals also have LOA restrictions because of their lock sizes.
Sailnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 00:11   #18

Canals are great for small, shallow-draft boats.
The proposed trip will probably result in the harrowing tales I heard, of people entering their 3rd year of French canalside.

Though I had a draft of 1,2 to 2.0m with a lifting keel, I found canal trips stressful, As one found tieing up alongside frequently impossible.

I dis the trip through the Straits, single-handed and most enjoyably - the N Spanish coast was a fantastic cruising ground, probably moer enjoyable than the Med, far cheaper and generally preferable.
I wish I'd spent more time there, even the Greek Islands are not an improvement.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:31   #19

Boat: Endurance Faria 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfgr View Post
Canals are great for small, shallow-draft boats.
The proposed trip will probably result in the harrowing tales I heard, of people entering their 3rd year of French canalside.

Though I had a draft of 1,2 to 2.0m with a lifting keel, I found canal trips stressful, As one found tieing up alongside frequently impossible.

I dis the trip through the Straits, single-handed and most enjoyably - the N Spanish coast was a fantastic cruising ground, probably moer enjoyable than the Med, far cheaper and generally preferable.
I wish I'd spent more time there, even the Greek Islands are not an improvement.
Yeah I thought they may be a little stressful due to just sheer amount of traffic.

However I am thinking this as more of a means of an end and leaving Jan/early feb time rather than waiting till March/April to go around

I'm thinking of sending my mast on a lorry to le havre along with the anchor chain so I can reduce weight, and not to fill my water tanks.

Then to get some blue barrels and to fill them with water on the bow to weigh the bow down and raise the stern (which in turn should lift the keel slightly). With it being January I'm hoping for a lot of rainfall aswell so higher waters.

And still toying with lift bags, friends of mine have raised boats with blue drums (this was a few years ago now) but then with all this hassle, is it worth just going round in march/April.

Also do you need a specific license to get through or will a coastal yachtmaster suffice?
Cornishkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:42   #20

Boat: Marie Jeanne 43

No way ! 1m20 max, even if officially it is more. You have to take into account the numerous wrecks... caddies, scooters...
But the Azores are really nice in the spring.
PiAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:43   #21

Boat: Nordship 38
Send a message via ICQ to jbrasseul

I think the Canal du Midi would be difficult to go through with 1.8m (or six feet) draft. I crossed it thirty years ago with a 5 feet (1.5m) draft boat (Coquelicot), but I don't think more would be possible nowadays.
jbrasseul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:44   #22

Try
Fluviacap, tool for calculating waterway routes - Fluviacarte

For help in finding your way around the waterways, gives routing, depths etc, but it is only a starting point, there are many closures during the winter months, and not all are easily tracked down
spliceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:53   #23

Boat: Oyster 49

Ruby Rose's video might also put you off.......

TS
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:21   #24

Boat: Contest 35S

It may depend on the route. I've done it 2 times, in 1990 autum and in 2001 late autum. Each time with 1,80 draft. Entering the channels at Sete, going up the Rhone, then Soane and later on Moselle to Germany. I only hit ground once, could have been a Carwreck. My only problem was finding a berth for the night and refuelling. It toke me about 4 weeks and I did all by myself (60+ Years old). Watch out for tunnels (high!) and check if locks are open in winter. It can get very chilly at this times
zamino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:38   #25

I think Cornishkiwi is right. 1.5m is about it. Also, mast needs to be brought down (obviously). Maybe more details in this Sailing Gently video
cooper1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:29   #26

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 38
Send a message via Yahoo to dirk_modica

In some youtube channel they were mentioning specialized companies which can truck your mast, boom, spinnaker pole , and maybe you could also truck other non essential items like spare anchors, the anchor chain, the dinghy, all sails, sheets, blocks, liferaft, cabin doors, table, unnecessary mattresses,, etc. Maybe somebody can tell you your TPC (tons per centimeter) or TPI (tons per inch), then you may calculate how much draft you may loose per removed weight; I doubt however that you may reduce her draft more than by 10 cm at most .... . Good luck

Dirk Modica
Centurion 38
Genoa, Italy
dirk_modica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:32   #27

try here some interesting stuff

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?thr.../#post-7804923
hartcjhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:44   #28

Boat: Tartan 4100

Sailing Ruby Rose have an entire season on YouTube going through the French canals on a 38' Southerly, of course, that's a swing keel boat that draws about a meter with it up.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:58   #29

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudorsailor View Post
Ruby Rose's video might also put you off.......

TS
Considering the Shards did the French canals in a Southerly 49.. I'd say Ruby rose was being over dramatic!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:36   #30

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I've seen videos of a boat breaking the skim ice trying to do the French Canals in the winter, and that was near Marseille.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal, enc, yacht