Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 15:07   #16

Re: 37 foot sailboat fuel question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 232323 View Post
Hi,
I just bought a 37 foot sailboat in Grenada with a small 25 Gallon diesel tank,I plan to bring it back to Nova Scotia, My question is how much fuel will we need and when is the best time to leave. Thanks
I'd figure about .5-.6 gallons per hour. So that's maybe 50 hours or less running time. At an average 5 knots (conservative) that's a 250 mile range or so.
-Plan accordingly for fuel stops.
-Carry some fuel, but there are plenty of places to get fuel if you plan.
-Never assume (outside the US) that the planned fuel stop will be open or even still exist! Have a backup plan.
-Of course sail as much as possible, but sometimes you just want to make headway.
-Motorsailing can be a great way to make miles.
-IMPORTANT: If the boat has sat a long time, there may be a lot of bad stuff in the fuel tank. This will stop the engine as soon as you get to sea and have some bumpy ride. Plan extra fuel filters and try to find a way to determine tank fuel condition before you start.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 15:11   #17

Re: 37 foot sailboat gas question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post

The OP made no mention of an intention to make his way to a port on the east coast, follow the intercoastal north and hop from port to port all the way to Nova Scotia. There are few filling stations at sea.
His request for basic information indicates he should gain experience before considering a passage to the Canadian Maritimes.

The OP made no mention of an intention to sail only at sea non stop.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 16:38   #18

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: 37 foot sailboat gas question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post

The OP made no mention of an intention to sail only at sea non stop.
Right, why so much hostility? He would do like just everybody else, sail to the next place. You get fuel when you need to. Now that I am down to one 27 gal tank that does not leak, I have 6 jugs on deck. If you did about the same, you could motor about 250 miles. It's a dreadful thought but it could happen.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat