Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-07-2006, 19:30   #1

Boat: 45' C-Breeze Mess!
Arrow 2bros, 2yrs build and 3yrs around the world!

Hi everyone,

My brother and I are embarking on our next adventure and wanted to introduce ourselves to the forum. [Last one was a 8 day Land Rover race across the Australian Outback and before that a 2800 mile trek through Mexico and Belize] We've just acquired a 55' yatch that has never seen water nor is it complete, it was FREE. The story behind it is that a man was building it in Tampa Bay and passed away in a car accident leaving it untouched in the boat yard where he was working on it some 20 years ago. It's been sitting since and while it hasn't rotted it's in pretty bad shape [photos to come.] It seems like a good long-term project in our opinion. We have a past of taking on insurmountable tasks! He has more experience sailing than I as I have none, I'm the Land Rover nut..so I'm looking forward to learning as I go.

Basically right now we are in the planning phase and will be for the next 1-3 months. Our vision for the project is to have it sea worthy in 24-36 months to depart from the corporate world we all know to sail around the world for 2-3 years. We are both extreamly resourcefull and capable individuals. We also have all the tools/basic skills to finish the boat. Engine mechanics, carpentry, electrical, technology, sanding/refinishing, ETC. Our goal is to do as much of the work ourselves as possible contracting out only the things 110% required. We are going to try and source as many items second hand and refinish when required. Basically we want to take our time, build it ourselves and spend as little as possibly. I'll throw a few questions out there to get irons in the fire for now. This will be an ongoing thread and we plan on putting up a simple webpage dedicated to the build as well.

- What would we expect to spend finishing the ship? The hull is done made of feralite fiberglass [needs sanded and coated], basic interior is trimmed out [very basic], mast mounting hardware is complete, likage from desk to below is complete for rudder, plumbing needs re-evaluated as does electrical, appliances and interior bits are non-existant and a few other things. Basically it's a shell that needs the inside, top side and outside finished. Simple right!

- Does anyone know what feralite is? It's supposedly a form of fiberglass but I can't seem to find anything else. Boat building materials seem to follow trends so maybe someone is familiar..

- Where are good sources for used parts or relatively inexpensive parts that we are going to need along the way of the build process? Aside from the obvious craigslist or eBay any specialized places that people normally use when building..

- Any suggestions for us? Books to pickup, sites to visit or people to contact?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Kind regards,

[PS - Posted in a few other spots so I appologize if you see this elseware.]

Tags
round the world