Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2021, 13:12   #1

10%??? Seriously???

I was talking with a seller and he told me his broker is charging 10% for selling his boat. I told him he was nuts if he paid him.

25 years ago, maybe,,, it was justified because ads had to be printed in magazines and such, selling was a lot more work but today, the owner takes the photos and the broker slings them to the half dozen "boat for sale" sites and, that's about it. MAYBE they show the boat, but in today's market people are better informed on what they want and do not do a lot of tire kicking, at least not with a broker holding their hand.

I recently sold a farm, lot more money than a boat and, the realtors got 4% because I negotiated it. It's ludicrous that any broker, realtor, agent, whatever gets paid 10%. People need to put their thinking caps on!
EngineerRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 13:25   #2

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: 10%??? Seriously???

everything in life is negotiable. EVERYTHING!
Old 23-07-2021, 13:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
everything in life is negotiable. EVERYTHING!

ABSOLUTELY!
Old 23-07-2021, 13:29   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerRetired View Post
I recently sold a farm, lot more money than a boat and, the realtors got 4% because I negotiated it. I
4% sheesh, I must be in the wrong job, we gave the estate agent 1% and I thought that was a lot. Mind you she sold the house in 3 weeks to the first serious buyers.

Brokers this side of the pond are short of stock, so seem to be offering deals at the moment around the 5% mark to attract potential vendors.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 13:32   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

If I, they buyer, bring a buyer's broker to the process, then each gets only 5%.

Of course, many people buy and sell without brokers. As a seller, you have to decide if the help is worth the fee.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 13:38   #6

Yeah, however having sold my friends boat a year ago I was reminded just how painfull it can be dealing with the general public.

I was literally at the point of working out how to scrap a perfectly good boat rather than allow it to move on to some of the folks I was dealing with.

Thankfully the fellow who bought it was not the usual "take take take screw as much as possible take take A hole" that I had encountered, and we have become very good friends...but it was touch and go there for a while.

Yes 10% is stupid high which is why we chose not to pay it but go through the process of selling a boat and you may soften somewhat in your conclusion.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 13:41   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Sounds pretty standard to me. You can always try to negotiate, but 10% has been the standard for quite a while. Real estate is a different standard.

Not saying it's right or wrong. But it has been the standard for as long as I've been playing with boats (decades now).
Old 23-07-2021, 13:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post

Yes 10% is stupid high which is why we chose not to pay it but go through the process of selling a boat and you may soften somewhat in your conclusion.

I am too tight, I would not pay Jesus 10% to perform a miracle.
Old 23-07-2021, 13:52   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Sounds pretty standard to me. You can always try to negotiate, but 10% has been the standard for quite a while. Real estate is a different standard.

Not saying it's right or wrong. But it has been the standard for as long as I've been playing with boats (decades now).

For this very reason, a dear friend of mine, who has been on my boat for the last month, considers paying €250 000 (!) to ship his motor yacht from SE Asia to Florida, rather than selling and buying a new one. It works out cheaper than the brokerage commission.

I told him I would move it on its own bottom via Alaska for €1, but then he calculated the fuel cost and amortization of the twin MTU V16's, and proved that this doesn't help him.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 13:57   #10

Quote:
I am too tight, I would not pay Jesus 10% to perform a miracle.
Yeah, I get it, but I dare say Jesus would be sorely tested by the likes of which are encountered when selling a boat.

Read some threads on CF about folks asking how to go about negotiating.
Pretty much the advice is lowball lowball lowball.

Almost never do you see advice that might pertain to paying a fair price for a good product. I get it, basic human nature.

Besides, I think Jesus gets the 10% without the miracles.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 14:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
...I told him I would move it on its own bottom via Alaska for €1, but then he calculated the fuel cost and amortization of the twin MTU V16's, and proved that this doesn't help him.

But a heck of a lot more fun ... at least for you .
Old 23-07-2021, 15:07   #12

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

If you don't mind dealing with all the wanna-be buyers then the only thing you need si exposure. The most relevant website for that is yachtworld, which only brokers have access to.

Cheapest solution is to ask brokers if they do a listing for a flat fee. Very few do, so you have to ask a lot until you find one.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 18:37   #13

I'm looking to buy in the immediate future and I'm thinking of telling the broker I want half the commission applied to the price. 10% is plain nuts.

If one won't take the deal, another one will. Human nature is what it is. (A little greedy and eating the other dogs bone has always been a good time.)
Old 23-07-2021, 18:50   #14

Quote:
I'm looking to buy in the immediate future and I'm thinking of telling the broker I want half the commission applied to the price. 10% is plain nuts.

If one won't take the deal, another one will. Human nature is what it is. (A little greedy and eating the other dogs bone has always been a good time.)

Tell us how it goes.
Old 23-07-2021, 19:01   #15

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:

Kiss any chance away of selling it to anyone except his clients.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote