Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2012, 17:02   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: Your First BVI Charter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Pay attention during the briefing as to where you can get water (not many places and usually expensive). Saba Rock includes free water with a moorng fee.
There's actually quite a lot of places to get water and it's hardly what I'd call expensive. Often 15 cents a gallon. My wife and I spent $25 our last trip on water.

Only place we've ever had trouble getting water was Soper's Hole. I believe Great Harbour on JVD may have water now. Otherwise once you go east of Soper's on the South side of Tortola, there's a lot of options.

Nanny Cay, Road Town, (maybe Peter Island?), Hodges Creek, Marina Cay, Scrub Island, Spanish Town (VG) and a number of places in the North Sound on VG.

It is still good to conserve when possible and know what your supply is. If you have 2 tanks this is easier, 1 tank just try to keep an eye on it.

And as far as dinghy theft is concerned, I haven't seen or heard of this being a problem with charterers. Heard of a few private dinghy's being stolen, but that's it. CGB is the only place I've really seen much mention of being sure it's locked, so our last trip (6th one) we decided to visit CGB which we hadn't done yet, so we got the cable and lock (moorings/sunsail can provide this, so I'm not sure why footloose wouldn't). We locked it in CGB and Cruz Bay on St. John. I think that was it. It certainly wouldn't hurt to lock it in other locations if you'll be away from it for a while though and have the means to do so.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 19:46   #32
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'

Saba Rock does include water with the price of a mooring. We took on water at Saba and it was the only place the water tasted salty. Most of Tortola's water comes from a reverse osmosis desalinization plant. Found Soper's Hole was just that. Nanny Cay was great, the water was good though not free and the showers really are the best in the Caribbean. In the North Sound I believe Leveridge Bay marina offers free water with a berth/mooring. Something I have not seen explicitly mentioned is moorings are first come, first serve and no reservations. Normally you can reserve a slip in a marina in advance, at least in the BVIs (but not in Guadeloupe where we are now). You will still need to add sanitizer (we use bleach) to the water.
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:56   #33

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

If you have been sailing southern california waters you should be well familar with mooring pick ups at Avalon, Two Harbors, or other Catalina harbors. In the BVI, most moorings are put in and maintained by MOORSECURE. Never had a problem with their, or any other moorings over many years.

With what we have witnessed, on 16 BVI sailing vacations over 35 years, no way would we be anchoring and being concerned about anchors dragging, others coming in and not managing their swing room. be professional , stay smart, and use good seaman ship.

Most bare boat charter companies require you to use double bridles on on the mooring, no biggie, but we follow the procedures.

IMPORTANT :

1. Well prior in your planning, get the CRUSING GUIDE TO THE BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS, by Nancy and Simon Scott and read it. Become familar with all of the information, and nav charts, and sailing directions, and what fun is avaiable ashore.

2. We take sailing very seriously, and will go thru a vessel inspection ourselves, with our own check list prior to the systems check out by the bare boat rep. We have found a lot of problems that they staffs were not even aware of. That includes the Moorings, and Sunsail. Sunsail was actually better . HAVE THE PASSENGERS AND CREW GET BRIEFED ON THE SYSTEMS AS WELL . We now sail with Conch Charters on Tortola. Famiy run, great people , good boats, lower rates, and no megga corporations.

3. We usually sail the islands counter clockwise. And we sail for two weeks.

4. Know where fresh water is available at which anchorages or marinas. Check with your chart briefer or bare boat co. ahead of time.

5, We also check the weather and wind conditions, and if necessary we reef down before we leave the docks. In may, the winds are usually 15 to 22 and many times we double reefed. The 36i Jeanneau sailing more on her lines, less heel, little or no weather helm, more comfortable for everyone, and sailing faster.

Just Erica and I, and we sail. Two week trips we used 7 gals of fuel , mostly to charge the batteries.

6. Every thing below , personal items, provisions and boat inventory is secured so nothing can go adrift. We also back up the electronic GPS, etc, with paper charts and coastal navigation. Plus eye ball nav.

7. Leaving Road Harbor : ( select to your time frame and personal likes )

* Great Harbor, Peter Island and party down on the Willy T. ( floating ship bar and restaurant ) .

* Machioneel Bay, COOPER ISLAND. Spirited Sail up the Sir Francis Drake Channel tacking to Cooper. Get there fairly early, pick up a mooring. Too deep for anchoring . $ 30.00. Dink over to Cistern Point for a cool down snorkel. Back to the boat, and dink into COOPER ISLAND BEACH CLUB. Very nice beach, separate rum bar, plus excellent restaurant and bar on the beach. Dinghy dock.

* VIRGIN GORDA and the BATHS : Moorings. I do not think there is a fee, could be a time limit. Tour the baths, and snorkel back outside the baths boulders to the beach. We then like to walk up to the TOP O THE BATHS, restaurant, bar and pool for fun and grand views of the islands. NO OVER NIGHT HERE.

* VIRGIN GORDA SOUND....( North sound ). More spirited sailing up to Virgin Gorda Sound. Sail thru Colquhoun reef pass. Follow the sailing directions.

LEVERICK BAY : Pick up a mooring, dink in for a swim in their pool, and on friday night they have a big party, outdoor serve yourself great meal, as much as you want, out by the pool or on the beach. Band, dancing and the mocko jumbie ( tall stilt dancing show ) . RESERVATIONS.

First stop to TOP OFF WITH WATER or fuel if you are motor boating. Pussers store, tiki bar, dowstairs and upstairs fine dining. Grocery store for provisions. Trash deposit bin.
Oh, FREE FRESH WATER TOP OFF BOAT TANKS and FREE ICE all with mooring fee.

Also in Virgin Gorda Sound, VIXEN POINT, SABA ROCK, BITTER END, and Eustacia Sound for snorkeling. Check to see if open after hurricane IRMA and MARIE.

You can easily spend a couple of days up in North Sound.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARINA CAY: Small cozy privately owned island . Very nice beach, and now an outdoor restaurant. Pussers Co. store may be open again. One of our faves.
Some times , we just swim / snorkel ashore but they also have a dink dock.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCRUB ISLAND RESORT : About a five minute motor from Marina Cay. The next trip we are going to spoil ourselves with a bit of luxury. Slip fee. Look them up in the cruising guide, and on the computer. We can also get water here , if they do not have boat water on Marina Cay.

Motor the narrow CAMANOE PASSAGE between LITTLE AND GREAT CAMANOE over to MONKEY POINT for breakfast and great snorkeling. National Park Free Moorings, time limit.

Then on to JOST VAN DYKE: We like WHITE BAY, but it is shallow and few moorings.
Wonderful clear water, fun and beautiful beach, and several beach style bars and restaurants. Also GREAT HARBOR, moor moorings, and party ashore at FOXYS or CORSAIRS, grocery, and walk or taxi to White Bay.

CANE GARDEN BAY : Tortola. One of our fave restaurants there is MYETTS. They were having some problems with contamination of the lagoon waters, so check on that.

SOPERS HOLE : West end Tortoal. Deep protected harbor, Moorings, Grocery, Quaint village, dock side restaurant, possibly boat water. Check the cruising guide.

NANNY CAY: Tortola. No moorings.....but they have a great full service marina, slips, water, fuel, and fun bar and restaurant . Very nice. Short motor or sail to Road Town Harbor to return the boat.

Also: NORMAN ISLAND, with Pirates Restaurant and play beach. Snorkeling at the Caves and excellent snorkeling at the INDIANS and Pelican island. About 1.5 hr sail from Norman to Road Harbor.

NORMAN could also be your first stop after first departing Road Harbor, if the Willy T might be too much fun .

Now this is all in two weeks, so for shorter trips you have to research and adjust to what islands are important to you and your crew.

If you book your vessel with Sunsail or the Moorings, they have a fabulous marina, swimming pool, restaurants and bar, provisions, and our fave restaurant in the BVI, CHARLIES at the end of the dock. Very nice, casual class , excellent everything.

Provisioning.....the charter company can arrange that , or you can do it yourself.

We now, split it up a bit....We provision oursleves, you can contact the market, give them a list and they will deliver it all to your boat. The Charter Co, can help you with all that. We just do breakfasts and snacks and eat dinners ashore.

We used to mix and match , with some BBQ'ing on board and eating out.

So, there you go. The above is just a short list of what to expect and be prepared for and what to do.

We love the BVI and the people and the other yachties that we meet. Great Sailing and fun times . But, we do sail, navigate, and follow the sailing directions, post a bow watch entering harbors, pick up moorings, stay smart, and party down once we are on a mooring or in a slip.

Have a great time, the more days that you can be in the BVI, the better.

Denny and Erica
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:06   #34

Good post with lots of good information (even if the thread is six years old, and so one can assume the original poster has long since completed his first BVI charter).

As of now, because of hurricane Irma, Saba Rock and The Bitter End are no more. Both are in the process of rebuilding, but my understanding is that it is going to be neighborhood of a year before either opens. The Willy-T was also done in by Irma, though I believe they are hoping to be open fairly soon; probably not in the same location as they were before.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:08   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Good post with lots of good information (even if the thread is six years old, and so one can assume the original poster has long since completed his first BVI charter).

As of now, because of hurricane Irma, Saba Rock and The Bitter End are no more. Both are in the process of rebuilding, but my understanding is that it is going to be neighborhood of a year before either opens. The Willy-T was also done in by Irma, though I believe they are hoping to be open fairly soon; probably not in the same location as they were before.
Willy T supposedly open at Great Harbour, Peter Island.....

http://bvinews.com/new/willy-t-moving-to-peter-island/
Old 04-09-2018, 08:56   #36

The latest info that I can find, thru varius blogs, and sailing forums and

Cruising Outpost magazine ( old lats and atts by bob bitchen )

The new WILLY T is going strong at Great Harbor on PETER ISAND and 30 moorings are available.

The photos of the new Willy T look very good, and in much better shape than the last Willy T. Same lay out as to the fan tail bar , and well deck restaurant, and newly constructed up deck above the bar for your Pain Killer earning leaps soaring out into the caribbean air, and spashing in off the stern.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fresh Water is definitely a concern, and as far as I can tell....

LEVERICK BAY RESORT : VIRGIN GORDA SOUND

We can top off our fresh water and get our free water, and ice with our mooring fee. Also, we planned our itinerary to be at Leverick for the Mocko Jumbies, large BBQ, band and dancing on a friday night.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCRUB ISLAND RESORT AND MARINA Fresh water for the vessel.

For many years we sailed past this very high quality resort, and have decided this next trip that we are going to get a slip, and party and treat ourselves to the swim up bar and also dinner ashore. Plus top off with water.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JOST VAN DYKE.....GREAT HARBOR..... North Latitude Marina ( Water )

We were concerned about their dock and the depth, but it shows they have 12 feet of water so our 6 ' 6" depth draft is no problem. We can top off our water here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NANNY CAY....TORTOLA

many slip marina, and we can top off the water and fuel for to take care of the last few days of our two week BVI sailing vacation. Last two trips, we used & gals of fuel, so we save the top of fuel until last few days.

I would think that the very popular sea going condo maximal catamarans with many, many people on board will be going thru their fresh water supply at a fairly high rate, so this info may be helpful .

Even tho it is just Erica and I, on a 36 ft, mono hull, and we conserve, we plan our fresh water stops .

Fair winds and stout rum happy hours.

Denny and Erica
Old 04-09-2018, 12:18   #37

Sorry cruisers,

My swift roaming fingers hit the SHIFT ( & ) key instead of the 7 key.

That was supposed to be 7 gals of fuel in two weeks, mostly to charge the batteries , and pick up a mooring . ( that was trip number 15 )

Trip # 16, was 7.2 gallons for two weeks.

Great sailing winds in may, and we love to sail.

Sailing the BVI is awsome !
Old 04-09-2018, 12:28   #38

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

Did the boat you where on have a lot of solar? Did it have refrigeration? By sloppy math I’m coming up with about 14 hours of engine time on 7 gallons of fuel. That’s about an hour a day. It seems like a really low number of engine hours to charge batteries and keep them at a healthy level. Clearly you are avid sailors to use such little fuel. You are in the minority in the BVI.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 13:40   #39

No solar, no electronic wonders, Do not need them.

We had sails, and are sailors, and we were reefed down. actually sailing, every day with great winds, saw many other supposed sailing vessels, mono hulls and catamarans, motoring . Maybe a sail up, but all head on their engines.

As to the fuel used, we had to fill it up before bringing the jeaneau 36i back into the Conch docks. We did that across the harbor in Road Town. And gave them the fuel slip.

There was no need to refuel it during our two weeks.

I was also surprised at our low GPH, but when we were charging the batteries that was not at some fast cruise speed, it was at lower RPM's, on a mooring, so less fuel was used per hour, than would have been at cruise speed. Pretty simple, less RPM's less gallons per hour.

And as long as you are wondering, when I say that we sail, we bloody well sail, and that is not the case with most of the sailing vessels that we saw out there in the Sir Francis Drake Channel or anywhere in the BVI.

We were definitely in the minority.

That is OK, we all have to chart our own course.

Actually, it was a pleasure seeing other vessels that were actually sailing, and really nice to come across those sailors at happy hour. In conversations, they have noticed the same things that we did, motors engaged , and no real sailing going on.

Not our biz and we just meet those folks and hoist a rum to the all over good times in the BVI.

Also, we are very conservative on our use of electrical systems, cabin lights, water pump, wind instruments, VHF, C.D player, etc, and turn off everything that we do not immediately require. So our battery usage is minimal.

And, there are just two of us, Erica and I , and not a boat load of other people who think that they are on land, with infinite supplies of electricity , fuel and and water, with the electrical panel lit up and every breaker switch glowing .

I really do not care what others do, but I do care that we manage our systems properly , and sail our vessel the absolute best that we can.

I agree, with you wondering , since most 36 or 37 ft sailing vessels burn about 1/ 2 to maybe 3/4 gallons of fuel per hour, but that is at max RPM because they only want to get to their destination, as fast as they can, point up into the wind higher and not have to tack, back an forth .

they do not elect to sail as we do, actually sailing double reefed down, no weather helm and without having to listen to that engine running .

I fear that some of us who really love sailing and know seamanship, and can use coastal navigation and paper charts are a dying breed.

We are going to continue to sail the vessel under sail, conserve on electricity, and get to the mooring field a bit later than others. But, we will be joining them ashore at the beach bar and the party will be on.

Our batteries will charge up quicker, since we do not need to charge them for as long a period , and at a lower RPM than at full on cruise RPM that burns more fuel.

There you go.....that is how we do it.

Actually sailing, and conserving on the vessels systems.
Old 31-10-2018, 11:33   #40

That first BVI charter was about 35 years ago...next one # 17 will be may of 2019.

The first was with the moorings....footloose now uses older moorings and sunsail boats. No worries.

1. Arrived at the moorings base along with 12 boat crews for our loose flotila. Newport Sailing Club scallywags and wenches.

2. Prior , I studied the Cruising Guide t the BVI, very thoroughly, and made my own cruising guide with easy references to all of the planned islands, and keys. Helped with being prepared, and outlining the important points.

3. No GPS, no moving maps, no auto pilot. We had to sail, and use coastal piloting, paper charts, hand bearing compass for bearings and fixes, and E.P.'s,

Arrival:

* Stayed the first night at the Marina Inn, Road Town, right there at the Moorings docks , next to the pool. Checked in stowed our gear, and changed immediately into board shorts and swim suits.

* The bar was busy, so we made it easy for the bar tender, my boat ordered two pain killers each at a time. The first one went down mighty quickly. Swam, sunned and partied down. then rested and went out to dinner.

Next morning EARLY breakfast at the dock side restaurant at the moorings. Shortly afterward :

* On time, actually early, for the pre sail CHART BRIEFING , made notes and paid attention. I like to have my first mate join me .

* Partial provisioning. All waiting on board the vessel. We stowed all provisions and personal gear and boat inventory. Nothing would go adrift underway. ( Now we self provision at the super market, and reprovision as we go along .

* My own personal inspection of the vessel, bilges, engine, belts, oil, coolant, oil filter secured, anchor chain , rode and moused clevis pin anchor chain to anchor, reefing system, I. D all running rigging, and check standing rigging.

* Departing bow out, check to see that the dink is properly secured up foward, I tie a proper cleat hitch to the bow cleat, regardless of what the dock staff as done, and after departing, dead slow, walk the dink back and secure the painter to the stern cleat of the boat.

* SYSTEM CHECK OUT by staff : Have the first mate, and other crew present, very important. After the staff leaves, I go over, head system, operation and holding tank, T.P, in garbage bag hanging up in head , or in waste basket under sink. Stove operation, and I am the only one to change stove fuel tanks, period.

* Have my heading noted to my first destination, now it would be the Willy T, at Great Harbor, Peter Island.

* I liked to be prepared as much as possible so that we get of Road Harbor by about 1:00 pm or so. We are going to sail over to Peter, and get ready to party down at the Willy T. For chow on board the pirate ship, HONEY DIPPED CHICKEN. Leap off of the second deck above the fantail bar...HAVE SOME ONE AT THE FLOATING DOCK TO HELP THEM CLIMB UP AND RETURN TO THE PARTY.

* When entering between reefs into a harbor, bay, anchorage, sound, etc. I note the info in the cruising guide and on the chart, and any notes from the chart brief that entry buoys ( navaids ) may not be watching on station.

I have the mag heading thru the pass noted as well, and post a bow watch.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Fave snorkel sites: Pelican and Indians, the Caves ( Norman Island area).

* Monkey Point, after leaving marina cay, motor thru the Camanoe Passage, DO NOT SAIL. At Guana Island. Free National Park Moorings for 1.5 hrs. Great snorkeling, GET THERE EARLY ONLY ABOUT 7 moorings. Have breakfast, let the sun get up to light up the coral and fish.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leave Peter Island, and sail up the Sir Francis Drake Channel to the baths.Then walk up the hill to TOP O THE BATHS for lunch and drinks and a swim in their pool. Fantastic view of the many BVI from up there. Fun.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leverick Bay, Virgin Gorda Sound. Good seamanship and navigatiion, mind the NAVAIDS. Very important to stand clear of Colquhoun Reef.

Leverick weeknight happy hour, Capt Bean, sing along pirate party.
On Friday Night....great open air bbq, at the pool and beach at Leverick, with live music , dancing, and the Mocko Jumbie Stilt Dancer presentation.

Upon arrival at Leverick, we pick up a mooring, and head for the pool and tiki bar at Leverick Marina. Erica will later use their free showers. Great dinners , at night up stairs at the fine dining restaurant. Excellent. Free water, and bag of ice with mooring fee.
Showers ashore for the ladies, And Fuel if you need it...pay.

We might spend a couple of days here, and you can get a taxi tour, to take you around the island, and or to the Baths if the mooring field is full or large swells at the baths. We also like to hike up in the hills.

Oh, and a fully stocked grocery store, at Leverick as well.

This next trip, new to us. We usually stop at Marina Cay, which we will probably do on my brithday, as it has become a tradition, but also a couple of minutes from Marina Cay is SCRUB ISLAND.......new adventure, slips, pool views, swim up bar, hiking, classy pool bars and restuarants.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wont go thru our entire itinerary, always two weeks. But, just a couple of tips. And ideas.

Slow down, get on BVI TIME, and meld into island style life.

You are going to love it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We actually bring the vessel back the afternoon prior to our departure day. Depending on the ferry or the plane . We have the staff do our post sailing check in, and also get our gear ready to go, so no late last minute glitches of any kind. NO missed ferrys or aircraft connections.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and if you see a small open skiff out on the ocean, in the Sir Francis Drake Channel, check to see if has YACHT SHOTS painted on the hull.
This is very cool. They take photos of your vessel, out there undersail, with you at the helm. Outstanding for pics on your wall at home, and we used them once on our mainland christmas cards. Not sure where they are based out of now. But then it was in Virgin Gorda sound, and we went ashore, looked at the photos and picked what we wished to take home and use. Check out their website.

16 years and can hardly wait for may 2019...... BVI trip # 17 YAHOO !!

So much more to share, but this is long enough as it is. Be glad to assist with any further questions or ideas that you might have.

Denny and Erica

Tags
charter, bvi, British Virgin Islands