Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2013, 17:06   #16

Re: Wanted to Charter 6 daysails in ST Thomas in April

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoint16 View Post
We were in Red Hook & Cruz Bay a couple of years ago before I was sailing. There were multiple signs on stakes by the sand / docks & flyers in the Marina offering day sails for $60 - $90 per day, depending on food or beverages provided & more to go to Jost. We found a sign that had "Captain Bob" on it. It was $75 pp & had 4 of us as guests. He was a local guy-cash only. He provided water only & snorkeling gear. We had a blast. Low key, sailed around St. John.

Look at my post above if your serious about day sails. The locals always know...
I really appreciate it, I'm staying at a condo in Sapphire Beach so I'll check out the marina there and in Red Hook and do what you suggested.

I really appreciate the info!!! Thank you!
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 17:12   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubikoop View Post
Just went to Low Key's website since you mentioned it. I'm not seeing $80-$90 for an adult for a full day trip. Low Key Watersports - Diving in St. John, US Virgin Islands
I also got the impression the OP wished to not be on a boat with other guests. Glad you found Capt Bob for cash, whoever that is. Don't forget to add the $24 for two round trip ferry tickets.
We can live with another couple or two on the same boat, I just don;t want one of those cattle call type boats with 50 people on them.

The 40 foot cat at $125 pp might work...

Thanks again for the tips!
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 18:55   #18

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

See if you can "hitch a ride", for a modest fee, with an outgoing two-tank SCUBA diving boat. If the boat has space, you can come along and snorkel around the boat during the dives. Usually these dive boats leave around 9:00 AM and return by 12:30 PM. It is not what exactly you're looking for, but it is not bad at all for the price you will be paying. Some areas, where the dive boat will anchor could be in shallow waters (15 ft or so), others could be doing "drift dives"; ask about the locations of the dives before signing up. (I dove with Low Key Water sports, Cruz Bay - St. John USVI, for years. It is a very well established outfit that offers reasonable rates. I have known Captain Bob, for decades.) Have fun! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, wanted