Following....we are making this trip in the spring except we are coming from Tennessee down to Sarasota!
Sounds like the original poster probably made this trip already, but I'll list a few notable places. I'll keep the descriptions short, because the list could get quite long, you can google
As noted by belizesailor, Tarpon Springs is unique. From there:
1) Three Rooker Bar, interesting place but very shallow. May have to anchor
off and dinghy
2) Caladesi Island State Park. Be sure to follow the route
from the causeway to the park entrance. Also, be sure to have bug screens or be able to close up....
There are more bugs here than the Little Shark River in the Everglades....
3) Clearwater Municipal Marinas
, either one. There is a ferry
that runs from the harbor side to the beach side. If you like fine dining, visit Bob Heilman's Beachcomber.
4) If you happen by Clearwater on the weekend or especially a holiday, anchor
off Shephard's Beach Resort........ Nothing like you've seen....
5) Want a Big Mac or fish
sandwich, stop by the McDonalds in Maderia Beach, they have a dock
for your fast food cravings....
6) Farther south, you have St Pete Beach and Gulfport. Gulfport is kinda of a mini Key West
7) Of course Egmont Key, and if you want to get naked, (not kidding), Passage
8) One of my favorite spots. Longboat Pass. Mar Vista restuarant and now the Shore both have docks and you can pull up and beach a dinghy
9) In Sarasota
Otter Key has great kayaking.
I could go on...... but you shouldn't miss some of these places. Have fun.