Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2010, 06:21   #1

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
Shipping Package to Grenada

Can someone who has researched the options help? What the most economical way to ship a few packaged to Grenanda?
Old 17-06-2010, 06:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
This “Shipping Packages & Mail” thread died an early death, but perhaps it could be revived.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...mail-2237.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 08:12   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Where are they coming from, how big and heavy are they, and how long can you wait?

FedEx and DHL are obvious options for smaller packages and quick service. You can look up their rates on the Internet. For larger items, Tropical Shipping has a LCL rate to Grenada from south Florida. The ship departs every Thursday and takes a week to reach Grenada. You'll likely need a customs broker to help you through the maze of paperwork, but they're not that expensive. We've used them several times. You can set up an account online.
Old 18-06-2010, 08:05   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Living in Grenada for the last 4 years - I have small shipments of mail, bills, elecronics, etc. sent down my US Postal Priority Mail. You need a marina or business address in Grenada. FedEx and DHL are very fast and can get packages, etc. down here in 2 to 3 days but the US Postal method takes about one to 3 weeks for half to a fourth of the costs of the FedEx/DHL services. You can look up on the US Postal Service website the "flat rate" international charges for as much as you can stuff into a flat packet or small standard box that they sell. A very good deal if you do not need the stuff "next day." If the packet only contains mail you do not need a broker and just need to go to the main post office to collect the packet and get it inspected. Sometimes they simply send it through directly to your Grenada mail address if they think there is nothing else in the packet.
- - As to actual procedures - For FedEx/DHL they provide the "customs broker services" for a fee and all you have to do is provide a Customs Clearance C-14 document showing you to be a "vessel in transit." The service is fast, convenient, and costly.
- - The US Postal (and probably also the UK and EU postal services) Priority procedures are similar but a lot less convenient and a lot less expensive. After package arrival in Grenada, the main post office in the Carenage will send a notice to your Grenada address that they are holding a package for you. You then go to Customs with your boat documents/clearances and get a C-14 from them. You will need at least 4 copies of the invoices for whatever is in the package other than mail/bills.
- - You then have to go to the Post Office, have the package open and inspected and then take the invoices, etc. around outside the post office to the back where half a dozen or so independent "brokers" sit along the wall. You negotiate a fee and they will prepare the official Customs clearance papers which you take to the Customs House upon whose wall they are sitting. An hour or two in the Customs House later you will be told to pay the Custom's Fee (which is a variable but about 2.5% of the CIF on the stuff inside the package.) Then you take the documents given back to you to "your broker" who arranges them and sends you into the Post Office to collect your package and also pay a Post Office fee for the privilege of getting your package.
- - All tolled the procedure - if items of value are in the package - takes about 2 to 3 hours and about EC$60 to 80 dollars (about US$20-30 dollars). An alternative is to have a local business servicing boaters like Island Water World handle everything for you which adds a few days to the process and costs maybe twice what doing it yourself costs.
- - Recapping for a simple mail packet with nothing of value inside US Postal Priority only costs the US Postal fees which are about US$25 (you can look it up on the web). FedEx/DHL are fast, reliable, and about three times more expensive.
- - For parts or items with value, FedEx/DHL get really expensive as the weight increases. For shipping a 55 lb (25Kilo) items I was quoted US$450 which exceeded the value of the item. US Postal is very inexpensive comparatively but take weeks.
- - For very large/heavy items Tropical Freight is the way to go. My 55 lb item cost a total of US$95 for shipping and EC$100 (US$37) for clearance.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 21:32   #5

Boat: Albemarle, 27 - Largodelight
Funny subject to come across. I have a shipping company and often I've help people move items to foreign countries, mostly boat parts. This got me started on adding this service to my existing business. Website coming soon but in the mean time you can let me know if you still need help. The rates I have are less than half of any published web rate for all carriers.
largodelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:36   #6

What you need to remember is that in shipping to foreign countries there are only 4 ways to get things there - Normal Postal service using the international agreements countries all over the world have to handle each other's postal needs for letters and small packages. This is normally the cheapest and slowest and sometimes least reliable method. But in Grenada it works very well from both the US and the EU with transit times varying from one week to one month.
- - Second is the "courier/package" services like DHL, FedEx, UPS, and others. These are fast and reliable and expensive - BUT - each must be licensed to operate in the particular country. Only DHL and FedEx are licensed to operate in Grenada. All the others have to transfer their destination packages bound for that country to either FedEx or DHL which increases the price and introduces delays.
- - Third is "freight" shipping companies using containers and less-than-full container service. For heavier or very large items this is the most economical way to go with rates starting at less than US$100 for things like batteries or other small but heavy items. However, this option is more complicated in that you have to arrange transfer of your item from its origin to the ocean freight company's receiving depot. This is where an agent can be a great service in arranging to get the item to the "container ship." Tropical Marine handles freight bound for Grenada from the US. Typical transit time is 1 to 2 weeks after the item arrives at their USA depots.
- - Fourth and last, is personal luggage of your own or a friend's who is coming down to visit you or go sailing with you. It is humorous to see cruiser's heading off to the airport to fly home with a backpack with everything they need and then return back to their boat with a complete 6 piece set of luggage full of parts and electronics and anything else they can cram into their luggage allowance.
Old 09-08-2010, 19:20   #7

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
Well the shipment that I needed is on its way via Tropical and it was actually easier than I thought. But, the shipping price was a bit high. Hopefully some day we will find a source for soda stream in the caribbean!
Old 10-08-2010, 05:33   #8

"Soda Stream" I purchase one years ago and permanently installed it in the boat by changing the CO2 bottle for a high pressure hose that runs to a large carbonic cylinder that is in a locker. That way I do not have to deal with the little bottles and I can get the large carbonic cylinder refilled anywhere there are soda/beer distributors.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:53   #9

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I've used Tropical Shipping for delivery of large packages. They deliver right to my door in Sint Maarten. LCL rates are about the same as the sales tax I get refunded. I maintain an account with Tropical and all I need to do is have my purchases delivered to them, letting them know what and when to expect delivery and a week later the stuff is at my door step.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 07:56   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Speciald - do you know of a shipping company to St. Maarten from Europe? I will be shipping my bulky Jordan Series drogue which I am making and a Bauer dive compressor about about 150Kg and a 1 cubic meter - too big and heavy for FedEx or DHL but I haven't found a shipping company here in Holland/Germany who even bothers returning my e-mails regarding LCL small shipments.

I've used Tropical from the US to the BVI in the past and they were very fast and efficient and I can recommend them.
Old 14-08-2010, 08:02   #11

No I don't. Try a local shipping agent. DHL is in Cole Bay, they ship to Euope.
Old 14-08-2010, 09:33   #12

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
I've used Tropical Shipping twice and am quite pleased. Their big advantage is they have their own bonded warehouse on the Maurice Bishop highway. They hope to have full service soon so you do not have to go to the Customs House in St. Georges. You will still have to get a C14 (provision to ship Stores) to get duty free importation.

I used Fedex once to import a portable freezer that I bought at Annapolis Boat Show. It was expensive but not rediculous and provided door to door service. It pays to shop around.

For small items I have used US Postal Service and Canada Post. Another poster decribed the procedure well. I can only add get your C14 and have multiple copies of your invoice. Saves time. It usually takes one to two weeks for service.

I have found that all of the people involved were generally quite helpfull.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:09   #13

Location: Midland Ontario Canada summer Stream Spirits Caribbean winter
Boat: Hughes 38 MkIII 38 feet
I’m also looking for the best way to ship an assortment of boat parts to Grenada to get your winter cruise underway. Has anyone had experience with Amerijet International ? They seem to have all the Caribbean covered with dedicated schedules ( twice monthly to Grenada ) from Miami.
Stream Spirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:06   #14

Boat: R & C Leopard 38 (2001)
No matter where you are, just about any air freight carrier can connect with Amerijet (Amerijet International Cargo- Land, Sea, Air - we get it there!) in Miami, Florida. I believe they fly into Grenada Mondays and Thursdays. I have used them into St. Lucia and into SVG. They were very helpful when I shipped hazardous goods (bear spray) into St. Lucia. I recommend the use of a local broker to clear your goods, even if labeled ships stores in transit.

Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 13:02   #15

I had a new liferaft shipped from Miami to Sint Maarten. Only problem was I had to go to the airport to get it. It cost $300 for the shipping. I've also used Tropical Shipping out of Miami. The gharge a "less than container load" rate and you can have Fedex or UPS to ship to them. Check their website to see if they ship to Grenada.

Tags
Grenada, shipping