Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2023, 14:00   #1
AST

Boat: Island Packet 29
questions on checking in.

For US Citizens, I understand that we need to checkin when we arrive the Bahamas. But what is the return procedures.
1- Do I have to "check out"? Can I just call it in (just in case something happened and found myself needing to get back to the US).
2- When reaching the US, do I need to "check in"?
Again, all onboard are US citizens.
thanks.
AST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 14:24   #2

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: questions on checking in.

Prior to going to the Bahamas, you use their "click to clear" online site. Then arrive at a check in location and they rubber stamp it
Heading back to the US, you use the "ROAM" app once you arrive stateside and touch land. Aka dock or anchor. Everything happens on the app. Approved/declined, video walk thru, ect. It's very easy
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 14:40   #3

Boat: Adams 45

Before returning to the USA you have to buy a DHS decal. You just need the decal number, not the physical decal. It's good for a calendar year, and I recently got an email saying 2024 renewals are available now. Not sure about purchasing a new decal for 2024. https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 17:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AST View Post
For US Citizens, I understand that we need to checkin when we arrive the Bahamas. But what is the return procedures.
1- Do I have to "check out"? Can I just call it in (just in case something happened and found myself needing to get back to the US).
2- When reaching the US, do I need to "check in"?
Again, all onboard are US citizens.
thanks.
When leaving the Bahamas to return to the USA you do not need to check out. There was a period of time during COVID panic that check out was required, but that requirement has been dropped.

If you are going to other countries that expect you to have checked out, the option is available. This would include most (all?) of the countries in the Caribbean. Be sure to know the rules of the next place you are going. Be SURE to check out if they will require it.

The USA is a bit unusual in never checking to see if you checked out of the last country you visited. However, you DO need to check in to the USA everytime you return. The CPB ROAM app has made this process (usually) much simpler than it used to be.

All this information is easily available on both countries websites. You should get used to looking to those (and not random internet advice) for your information.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote