Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2017, 08:55   #16
cruiser

Re: not so friendly lobsterman in Maine

You don't have to put up with that kinda schitt. Do like we do.... cruise Croatia and Italy in peace. There's no reason to put up with the mean spirited Mainiacs.

BTW: We live in New England surrounded by Massholes and Mainiacs six months per year, which is why we cruise elsewhere.
Old 25-08-2017, 08:59   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
, and for the first time I wish I had a gun on board...
This is the part of the story that really disturbs me. The lobster boat was being a dick just like a lot of boaters that wake you, without a doubt! But to go from that to wishing you had a gun, which is pretty close to saying you would use it because why else would you wish for one, is disturbing to me.

Maybe just me but it takes more than a boat wake to get me to wish I had a gun!
Old 25-08-2017, 09:21   #18

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Final say, RE: GOIN DEEP registration ME 9592C

We have been in Maine from Isle of Shoals to Roque Island for almost 30 days now. I expect lobsterman\lobsterboats to work their pots starting before dawn and rock and roll the yachties thru the normal course of picking and dropping pots. I don't complain upon waking up at 5 AM and have even come accustom to getting up and starting my day then.

Knowing this, I strive to find anchorages away from the pots and have had some success in finding these elusive locations... yes there are a few, and I thought I was in one.

For the most part, lobsterman have waved back after I wave at them, and I have done my darnest to keep from snagging the pots, even when they are laid down every 6 feet in every direction with pairs and triples tied together. I have bought lobster directly from a guy in a remote cove near Jonesport with total curtesy and no complaints.

Unprovoked, potentially harmful attacks ( my wife and I were not hurt, but could have been ) are not called for in any form.

In most places being responsible for your boat wakes is a condition that could bring legal action.
This is not a gun issue, he was in fear of a visit in the night and wished to have protection!

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I have cruised extensively in Maine and understand your frustration. It happens occasionally in coves where someone is trying to discourage yachts from anchoring. It won’t escalate if you don’t let it by making it worse. I generally just smile and wave; which does make them wonder! Most Mainers will tell you how they depend on the “awayers” to provide for their economy, especially the sale of lobsters!

99% of the lobstermen are good hard working folks and do get frustrated at loosing gear because the floats where cut away by props. 99% of yachts try very hard to avoid the floats. But due to the sheer numbers, especially this time of year, is impossible. But in general they are friendly to you if you are friendly to them. I have become used to the fact that some are not going to be friendly. But it doesn’t discourage me from exploring one of the best cursing grounds in the country.

Just like anywhere else there is always a jerk that tries to ruin your day. we have seen them from Key West to Machias Bay. But the people that will go out of their way to help you are a thousand fold.

Old 25-08-2017, 09:23   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You don't have to put up with that kinda schitt. Do like we do.... cruise Croatia and Italy in peace. There's no reason to put up with the mean spirited Mainiacs.

BTW: We live in New England surrounded by Massholes and Mainiacs six months per year, which is why we cruise elsewhere.
We have lots of Croatian fishermen up here that will run over you in a second. LOL. Love the Adriatic but you don't have the same situation with nets & pots that we do here. Grantly people are generally more civilized.
Old 25-08-2017, 09:25   #20

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
This is the part of the story that really disturbs me. The lobster boat was being a dick just like a lot of boaters that wake you, without a doubt! But to go from that to wishing you had a gun, which is pretty close to saying you would use it because why else would you wish for one, is disturbing to me.

Maybe just me but it takes more than a boat wake to get me to wish I had a gun!
I'm personally anti-gun but the OP didn't say he wanted to shoot them. This is not the same as being waked by an inconsiderate boater. This was an aggressive & deliberate attack that could have resulted in a serious injury. Wanting to be able to defend yourself is a normal response.
Old 25-08-2017, 09:53   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

There was no defense needed.
Old 25-08-2017, 10:04   #22

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Hindsight....
Old 25-08-2017, 10:12   #23

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Lobster-man fight horrible battles even among themselves.

Its best just to stay AS FAR FROM THEM AND THEIR GEAR AS YOU CAN.
Old 25-08-2017, 10:15   #24

Boat: Catalina 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
While I don't mean to excuse what happened to you. This summer in Maine I've had far more wake incidents from other pleasure boats passing too close than lobstermen.
That was our experience, as well, when we were up there recently. I kind of expected to be awoken at the crack of dawn by the lobster boats (and usually was), but had no issues at all with them. They are some very hard working men (and women). I did have a few choice words for some of the other powerboats we saw there. That said, I'm glad we didn't meet the boat in question from the original post, or our whole (positive) experience in Maine might have been somewhat soured.
Old 25-08-2017, 10:48   #25

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
sailorboy1 it sounds like you are letting your anti-gun views influence your reading comprehension.
there was no defense needed in response to the aggressive wake, but there was a real fear express by the OP about further aggression during the night.
If GION DEEP had boarded the OP's vessel during the night, the OP has the human right to defend himself and his wife by any means necessary.
That is the reason he was expressing the desire for a more powerful means of defense.

Guy
Old 25-08-2017, 11:06   #26

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

You have the name of the boat. Contact the police and file a report that you were threatened if not assaulted. A deliberate wake could be seen as an assault. Then sue him for a small amount in damages, ruined dinner, back sprain, whatever. It may cost you a few hundred in costs which you may or may not recover in damages but I guarantee that will be one lobsterman who steers well clear of tourists in future. I doubt a local judge will have much sympathy for a local who attacks tourists.
Old 25-08-2017, 11:07   #27

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
sailorboy1 it sounds like you are letting your anti-gun views influence your reading comprehension.
there was no defense needed in response to the aggressive wake, but there was a real fear express by the OP about further aggression during the night.
If GION DEEP had boarded the OP's vessel during the night, the OP has the human right to defend himself and his wife by any means necessary.
That is the reason he was expressing the desire for a more powerful means of defense.

Guy
"the OP has the human right to defend himself and his wife by any means necessary."

Unfortunately, that varies from state to state. In my state you could blow them away and ask questions later. In some of the more "liberal" states, your legal obligation is to try to escape. That could mean jumping and swimming to shore. In some states you wouldn't be allowed to even have a gun on board.

I don't think the fact that someone came by in a boat and waked you translates to they will be back that night and do something worse. That's quite a stretch.
Old 25-08-2017, 11:10   #28

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Sorry to hear you were harassed. Don't get upset because that will just reinforce that jerks behavior. Take solace it the fact that what comes around goes around. That rude lobster-man will have his day with somebody bigger and less patient.
I grew up fishing on my uncles boat in Newfoundland. We never had a problem with people who accidentally tangled our nets or pots. We were always kind and friendly others. Forget cruising Maine and cruise the Maritime Provinces. You will feel more welcome.
Old 25-08-2017, 11:17   #29

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

When something like this happens - Stand up firm and tall, look them straight in the eyes, and give them a friendly wave, and as genuine a smile as you can muster.

I think on a certain level, this disassociation freaks them out, and on that level they recognize they are acting like a jerk.

I've had some luck with it. Sometimes they actually become friendly when you seen them again, other times they just leave you alone. Maybe they just think I'm slow witted.
Old 25-08-2017, 11:25   #30

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Next time they come around, if you have time, try to video the incident.
It may even make you some money on You Tube if it goes viral.
Then send a copy of the video to local law enforcement.
THEN sue them in Small Claims Court for the costs of any damages and harassment. In Ontario, the cost of filing is under $100 and you don't need a lawyer. Now the jerk will have to hire a lawyer to represent him, which will cost him money and time.
Closed Thread

Tags
maine