Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 13:21   #16

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
Re: New England Itinerary

I cruise to the Vineyard every summer. Be aware that Menemsha, though it offers the best and freshest seafood in my opinion, is a dry town. Oak Bluffs, however, is not, and it is more of a party atmosphere, with bars and restaurants overlooking the harbor. I have always been able to pick up a town mooring there without a reservation.
Old 07-06-2013, 13:44   #17

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Personally, if I had a week I would stay within the Marion, Cuttyhunk, Menemsha, Tarpaulin Cove, Lake Tashmoo, Woods Hole, region. Would make a very nice circuit.
+1 with a couple of additions to consider:
Quisset is a very quiet, but sometimes crowded harbor with moorings right around the corner from Woods Hole. It's a nice lunch stop. We've not stayed overnight, but it can be done.

Red Brook Harbor is further up the Bay. You can get moorings from Kingman or Parker's. You don't mention your crew. If you have kids, Bassett's Island, which protects the harbor and has a very nice beach, is an easy dinghy ride from the mooring field. It's even closer to the anchorage, but you said you don't want to do that.

I'm going to disagree with Don on Cuttyhunk, which just shows that what works for you will depend on what you like to do. We enjoy the raw bar that comes out to the mooring field and the anchorage on Cutty. It's also a small enough island to hike around in a couple of hours though be aware of the deer ticks. Ashore, there's a nice breakfast place that looks out on Vineyard Sound. Also, the guys who do the raw bar do a lobster dinner a couple of nights a week. It's outdoors, rustic and delicious.

We love going into Lake Tashmoo and hanging on the hook reading, swimming and lazing, but I don't know if you can get a mooring there, but the anchoring is very easy. We've never had any trouble finding plenty of space in the anchorage, but we tend to go on weekdays.

I agree with those who say not to try to go both East and West in one week. A lot of the trips only work with the favorable tide and wind. You'll head into the prevailing winds and the crowds if you head towards Newport. We avoid Block in the summer. It's both crowded and noisy.

Nantucket is doable, but can be a bit of a slog if you're on a tight schedule. You can certainly get there and back, but you are likely to find yourself bucking wind and/or tide at least one way since you need to meet your schedule.

Regardless of your itinerary, enjoy your visit.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 14:21   #18

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Quisset is a very quiet, but sometimes crowded harbor with moorings right around the corner from Woods Hole. It's a nice lunch stop. We've not stayed overnight, but it can be done.

Red Brook Harbor is further up the Bay. You can get moorings from Kingman or Parker's. You don't mention your crew. If you have kids, Bassett's Island, which protects the harbor and has a very nice beach, is an easy dinghy ride from the mooring field. It's even closer to the anchorage, but you said you don't want to do that.

I'm going to disagree with Don on Cuttyhunk, which just shows that what works for you will depend on what you like to do. We enjoy the raw bar that comes out to the mooring field and the anchorage on Cutty. It's also a small enough island to hike around in a couple of hours though be aware of the deer ticks. Ashore, there's a nice breakfast place that looks out on Vineyard Sound. Also, the guys who do the raw bar do a lobster dinner a couple of nights a week. It's outdoors, rustic and delicious.

We love going into Lake Tashmoo and hanging on the hook reading, swimming and lazing, but I don't know if you can get a mooring there, but the anchoring is very easy. We've never had any trouble finding plenty of space in the anchorage, but we tend to go on weekdays.

I agree with those who say not to try to go both East and West in one week. A lot of the trips only work with the favorable tide and wind. You'll head into the prevailing winds and the crowds if you head towards Newport. We avoid Block in the summer. It's both crowded and noisy.

Nantucket is doable, but can be a bit of a slog if you're on a tight schedule. You can certainly get there and back, but you are likely to find yourself bucking wind and/or tide at least one way since you need to meet your schedule.

Regardless of your itinerary, enjoy your visit.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71
^^This +1^^ All excellent advice, and I have stayed overnight in Quisset. It is usually very nice.
Old 07-06-2013, 14:23   #19

Boat: contessa 32

Yes, way too manny great choices .It may be good advice to limit your trip to the Eastern sections as per Kentwell and others here;but to go West there Is Newport, Bristol with the Herreshoff museum Sauganaut River and Middle passage past Newport and my favorite :Block Island.
Others here have stated to avoid places like Cuttyhunk,Hadley harbor,etc. because "there is nothing there" ,but that is exactly the point of going there in the first place.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new england