Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2014, 16:37   #16

Re: I want to move to Florida

I'll be moving to Redington Shores, in the St. Pete area, in the foreseeable future. To me, the Gulf side has more of a Carib feel than the Atlantic side. Great beaches, great sailing, lots to do if you've a mind to, close to Clearwater/Tampa. There are drugs and crime everywhere, you can't escape it. I will be living in a private home on the Intracoastal, not a gated community, and I've felt safe in this area when I've stayed there. Probably best to do some traveling around and see where you like. My dad lives in St. Augustine, which is also very nice.
EveningBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:30   #17

One note if you plan to buy near the coast, do some research concerning flood insurance. There have been changes in the federal flood insurance program, and some recent buyers (who did NOT do the research they should have!) have been shocked to find out that their flood insurance costs are as much as 10 times as high as the previous owners costs were.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:55   #18

Boat: Various

Florida has more uniquely different areas than you can imagine. The styles of living vary, the culture varies. It goes from tropical paradise to smeltering heat, from coastal to inland, from an incredible mixture of races and nationalities to a narrow demographic of 65+ Caucasian US born, from wealth to poverty, from ocean waves to calm inland waters.

When we first came to Fort Lauderdale we knew it was our dream home. Now for some of the very reasons we love it, others would dislike living here. When we were first shown our house, we knew it was the one. The point is that if you travel the state and look at the different areas, you will know when you hit the right one for you. Then you'll say that you found the best place possible to live. It will be, for you. Maybe not for anyone else but that doesn't matter. You'll have neighbors who you like, live in a community you enjoy. Just look until you find it.

Now with a boat you do have one great advantage. It can move easily. Maybe you get the boat and then find the perfect spot. Start in one area and move around a bit. Keep an address at St. Brendan's. You could easily take a year or two just exploring the potential homes by water. Start at Fernandina and end at Pensacola, then make a return trip. There will be places you'll be ready to move on from. But you'll find more than one place that you find hard to leave and one of those might just be your perfect new home.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:15   #19

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

I'd also consider the Cocoa/Cocoa Beach area. Calm waters to keep your boat in the channel, great waves and beach on the ocean side. Unless you live near one of the bridges your commute might be a bit long, but lots of empty condos/houses, and after NASA shut down the shuttle, it's probably even better to be a buyer.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:34   #20
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
We just spent 6 months in Jacksonville. The place is rife with crime and drugs and racism like nothing that I've ever seen
agree on jax .. just avoid it. in fact i would recommend the west coast of florida south of tarpon springs. safe inlets and and fair winds and calm seas make for great boating. oh and plenty of trailer parks if that's what you are looking for
Old 11-02-2014, 09:35   #21

Boat: gemini 3200

We bought a canal home in cape coral 19 months ago for retirement. 1/2 mile to the river, 8 miles to the gulf in an older neighborhood. Can't wait until retirement day comes so the boat is in the back yard with other water toys.

The flood insurance change is a consideration but with so many people impacted nation wide, the crazy new rates will moderate (congress is already making changes). Do get an elevation survey, when we showed our agent the survey our flood insurance went down 40%.

CHeeRS!
-dennis
fla.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 18:59   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
We just spent 6 months in Jacksonville. The place is rife with crime and drugs and racism like nothing that I've ever seen. I was working on a big paddle wheel boat for a museum and I learned that it is common there for people to crush up oxy whatever pills and smoke them. I didn't need to know that. I feel quite safe in Mexico but Jacksonville scared the hell out of me. I'll never return.
I live in Jacksonville beach, and I work in Jacksonville, been here 30+ years. I go into all sorts of communities day or night. There is only 2 places I will not go when it is dark....Any city of more than half a million people have those same problems.

AS for the oxycontin pills being crushed and smoked....Dude, go to any large city and pay attention. It happens in any major metropolitan area...BTW, it is NOT "common" to do that...You make it sound like everyone is doing it. They are not...maybe you were hanging with the wrong crowd. You should probably choose your friends more carefully...
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:30   #23

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtrio View Post
My wife spent several weeks in the summer of 2001 looking for a place on the Florida east coast between St. Augustine and Stuart. ...
... We are across the street from the beach, in a gated community.
Roger -- I'm curious what town you bought in, after that methodical search.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:49   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nial View Post
I've been in Florida three times, Jupiter to Miami and Clearwater to Naples. I love the Winter weather but I'm not wild about all the security guards and walled off communities. Just getting on the beach can be a trial in lots of places. There have to be places that are more laid back but so far I haven't found them. I'd appreciate any thoughts about places from say the Florida/Georgia state line south to about midway down the Atlantic coast. My boat only draws 39 inches so somewhere up the St John's river might work. I'm more at home in a trailer park than a high rise condo and I prefer old to newly built. Thanks
Nial
Check out Treasure Beach. just south of St Augustine. All homes and trailers on canals of ICW and has deeded boardwalk to the beach just across A1A.
Old 15-02-2014, 06:10   #25

Boat: Niagara Nautilus 36

I vote for you to make your way to St. Augustine. Haven't lived there for any extended period of time, but covers some of your requirements. As a matter of interest, the Anastasia state park there is a real beauty, one of Florida's best secrets.
Niagara Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 06:36   #26

Boat: 48' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nial View Post
I've been in Florida three times, Jupiter to Miami and Clearwater to Naples. I love the Winter weather but I'm not wild about all the security guards and walled off communities. Just getting on the beach can be a trial in lots of places. There have to be places that are more laid back but so far I haven't found them. I'd appreciate any thoughts about places from say the Florida/Georgia state line south to about midway down the Atlantic coast. My boat only draws 39 inches so somewhere up the St John's river might work. I'm more at home in a trailer park than a high rise condo and I prefer old to newly built. Thanks
Nial
The St. Johns River gives you easy access to the great DIY boatyard at Green Cove Springs.
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 22:27   #27

If any of you floridians know of a water/canal front sailboat access homes that are a fair deal a link would be appreciated!
The Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 22:33   #28

I wouldn't mind something pushing me over the edge and getting me to summer year round!
The Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 18:35   #29

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34

Cormorant,

Sent you PM.
svtrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 07:45   #30

Boat: Norm Cross 28 Tri, Hobie Miracle 20, Hobie trifoiler, Condor-40

You should take a look at the Charlotte harbor area on the west coast. Beautiful sailing and waterfront homes cheap. Do some homework in the punta gorda and Cape Coral areas. Sailboat access homes can be found in the low $200k and sometimes below. Inland homes near the burnt store marina area sell under $100k. Charlotte harbor has been rated as some of the best sailing around Florida. There is a book on Amazon or kindle called quit your job and live on a boat. It all takes place in the fort Meyers Charlotte harbor region and is a really inviting read.
Chris in Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida