Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2017, 15:50   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 371
Re: Hells Gate at Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitlaw View Post
Heading S on Long Island Sound from Narragansett Bay Monday.
I will stage in Port Washington Tuesday afternoon 3-4ish. . Eldridge indicates ebb at 11:42 pm Tuesday so I will be at Throgs neck at 10:42. Pm.

Or, I wait until Wed morning and start at TN at 11:00am which changes my whole route timing back to the Chesapeake. (Crew has to be there by 8/27) It also causes me to enter Manasquan at night which I don't want to do. Would go straight thru to Manasquan if I take the pm passage. I would rather not go down to Atlantic Highlands.

So I am thinking of the night schedule down the East River. What are the challenges at night thru that particular spot. I have done it 1x before in daylight. Has anyone done it at night?
Donald Crowhurst shortly before he chucked himself over the side said "Puff boats have destinations not ETAs. If you ain't sure don't do it!
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 16:58   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltasailor View Post
Donald Crowhurst shortly before he chucked himself over the side said "Puff boats have destinations not ETAs. If you ain't sure don't do it!
I was going to add my 2¢ to the conversation by pointing out that there is in general less traffic at night and that some of my most memorable experiences sailing New York Harbor have been at night on the East River (Brooklyn Bridge at night is even more magical than in the day!) then I saw your comment.

If someone is asking about doing, maybe they aren't sure of themselves to begin with. I didn't have to ask before my first time, I just did it.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 17:19   #18

Hells Gate at Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I was going to add my 2¢ to the conversation by pointing out that there is in general less traffic at night and that some of my most memorable experiences sailing New York Harbor have been at night on the East River (Brooklyn Bridge at night is even more magical than in the day!) then I saw your comment.

If someone is asking about doing, maybe they aren't sure of themselves to begin with. I didn't have to ask before my first time, I just did it.

So question to the OP - how many operating hours do you have on this particular boat and how many night operating hours (on any boat) do you have?

You don't necessarily need to answer those questions here but the answers to them will help you determine to listen to either the Go group responses or the more cautionary posts.

Delancey is spot on yet again. It is dang beautiful, surreal even, to go under the BMW bridges at night.

And cut your risk profile by 50% bringing along someone who has done it before. Easy to catch a train ride back.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 18:19   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post

Delancey is spot on yet again. It is dang beautiful, surreal even, to go under the BMW bridges at night.

And cut your risk profile by 50% bringing along someone who has done it before. Easy to catch a train ride back.
It's an unforgettable experience going down the east river day or night... I live here and I never get tired of it. +1 for bringing a competent friend.

Be safe, have fun, monitor channel 13 and don't be shy to contact commercial vessels if you need to.
Old 21-08-2017, 18:28   #20

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitlaw View Post
Heading S on Long Island Sound from Narragansett Bay Monday.
I will stage in Port Washington Tuesday afternoon 3-4ish. . Eldridge indicates ebb at 11:42 pm Tuesday so I will be at Throgs neck at 10:42. Pm.

Or, I wait until Wed morning and start at TN at 11:00am which changes my whole route timing back to the Chesapeake. (Crew has to be there by 8/27) It also causes me to enter Manasquan at night which I don't want to do. Would go straight thru to Manasquan if I take the pm passage. I would rather not go down to Atlantic Highlands.

So I am thinking of the night schedule down the East River. What are the challenges at night thru that particular spot. I have done it 1x before in daylight. Has anyone done it at night?
I haven't been there yet, but you'll definitely get A LOT less boat traffic at night than during the day, which is a plus. The obvious night time sailing negatives still apply.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 18:28   #21

Boat: Hanse 348

Did it at night, first time ever , brand new boat, south to north, hitting about midnight. East river is as bright as daylight at night with all the lights. Having another person as lookout with radio in hand will make a huge difference. Take it easy, use the radio lots. AIS as everyone said is a big help. If you feel uncomfortable passing, wait until you have water to yourself.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 19:59   #22

Boat: Oyster 55

[IMG]img_0751.jpeg[/IMG]

This is the East River at night.
I would caution not to depend on land based AIS such as Marine Traffic in the East River as someone mentioned in a previous post. It is way too slow and things happen quickly there therefore if you are relying on AIS then you need real time. I have tested it on my iPhone in the East River and it is NOT reliable. Using it in some other wide open space is acceptable at times.
I have gone thru several times at night before I had AIS but it really makes it much easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0751.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	154565  
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 20:08   #23

Sorry most of what I sent is a picture of New York Harbor and the approach to the East River but I think you will appreciate the traffic anyway.
Old 21-08-2017, 20:24   #24

Boat: 1978 Rafiki 35

Having done both day and night legs, I would advise a daytime run of the East River as it is much easier to be seen, see and dodge debris and then anchor behind Sandy Hook till wee hours of morning. The two hours before slack from Throgs Neck/City Island is the right call by Time2Go.

Take the night leg down the NJ coast as only fishing vessels there and they are easy to spot. No need for Manasquan if you leave before dawn you can make AC with no problem before dusk.

Not sure if Manasquan intent was to use ICW through Point Pleasant Canal and Barnegat Bay, or just a tuck in for the night? The outside trip is much easier than worrying about shoaling that comes right up to edges of channel in Barnegat Bay or timing slack in Point Pleasant Canal and bridge openings. I would not risk Barnegat Light if not familiar with it at night or day. AC is no problem if you make sure not to cut the north end in and hug more to the southern side of inlet channel, plus easier marinas, anchorage and no bridge opening to contend with. From there the northern Chesapeake is is under two days.
JerseyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 20:25   #25

Hells Gate at Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Did it at night, first time ever , brand new boat, south to north, hitting about midnight. East river is as bright as daylight at night with all the lights. Having another person as lookout with radio in hand will make a huge difference. Take it easy, use the radio lots. AIS as everyone said is a big help. If you feel uncomfortable passing, wait until you have water to yourself.

Good point. You need a reliable carrier. I've not had the issue, with my carrier, going through there.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 20:30   #26

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
[IMG]img_0751.jpeg[/IMG]

This is the East River at night.
I would caution not to depend on land based AIS such as Marine Traffic in the East River as someone mentioned in a previous post. It is way too slow and things happen quickly there therefore if you are relying on AIS then you need real time. I have tested it on my iPhone in the East River and it is NOT reliable. Using it in some other wide open space is acceptable at times.
I have gone thru several times at night before I had AIS but it really makes it much easier.
What chart plotter is that? I'd love to install AIS on mine and I have the C70 on my vessel.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 04:00   #27

Have sailed New York Harbor a lot at night. Would oftentimes race Sunfish with a group of friends at night on the Hudson. Have made the East River Passage a couple times at night. Have gone up under the bridges at night a bunch just for fun.

Not sure really what all the concern is about. It makes me think about when people are afraid to travel to the big city because they are afraid of crime when really the city is quite safe.

Some pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1924.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	447.8 KB
ID:	154594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1921.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	154595  

Name:	IMG_1922.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	154596   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1923.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	154597  

Name:	IMG_1920.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	154598  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 10:25   #28

pirate Re: Hells Gate at Night

We just came back from the Sound a few weeks ago and Hells Gate was very challenging. Went during the daytime with the outgoing current but it was very swift and rough (there was a lot of boat traffic besides a lot of current). Make sure you check with the USCG that there are No Closures on the E. River. There were two Restrictions last week.
CarolM13
CarolM13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 18:58   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
What chart plotter is that? I'd love to install AIS on mine and I have the C70 on my vessel.
Mine is a Raymarine C120 so you should get the same graphics.
Ciao
Old 24-08-2017, 04:20   #30

Boat: Nordic 44

Thanks to all for the replies which raised some good points. After posting the question I calculated that we would not arrive in Port Wash until about 9 pm and would have had no time to rest from our 25 hour run. So I decided to do it the following morning. BUT then after running 10 hours down the Sound I had an unusual mechanical failure when my transmission pulled away from the engine. Yes, it came out so far as to disconnect the driveshaft from the flywheel. So now my boat is in Milford CT at the Milford Boat Works where it may be some time. Thanks also for the great pictures. I am confident I could have done it at night with all the good info and a little rest.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote