Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2019, 13:10   #1

Grenada to St. Vincent direct - Sail Time??

My other post was probably too wordy (I'd delete if I could!)...I'll keep this one simple:

Can anyone give me an idea of how long I could expect it to take to sail from St. George's to St. Vincent with only a stop in Clifton/Union Island for customs?

Leave at noon on Day 1, no night sailing (charter).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks and sorry for the duplication of posts!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 13:22   #2

Boat: Vagabond 42
Re: Grenada to St. Vincent direct - Sail Time??

Figure it is something close to 75 miles.
If you can't sail at night you will need to leave before noon.
It looks like about a 8 hour run from St Georges to Union at 5 knots.

No need to clear in or out. Just dump the hook and stay on board (fly your yellow Q flag).

Next day you will have something like another 8 hour run so get up early and get underway. You may make better than 5 knots but it will most likely be a pretty close reach.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 13:58   #3

Callistov75 -

Thanks for the reply!

Okay...we're going to need to be cleared by customs and in Blue Lagoon Marina by 4pm on day 2. So, it sounds like leaving at noon on day one will be a little too tight to be realistic.

If we left St. George's first thing in the morning on day one, that should put us to Clifton by 2 or 3pm...would that be enough time to clear customs that afternoon? If so, we could leave first thing the next morning to go directly to Blue Lagoon Marina and get there by 2 or 3pm.

Thanks again! I'm pretty new to all of this so I really appreciate the advice!
Old 18-07-2019, 16:53   #4

Boat: Vagabond 42

First, I wouldn’t go into Clifton at all.
Go into Chatham Bay on the leeward side.
It is really pretty, good holding and...
If a guy called Shark Attack is still there (call him on the VHF)
He and his mother will fix you a grilled lobster dinner that can’t be beat.
CHEAP! Dinghy into the beach, pick up the food and go back and eat on the boat. You are not missing much missing Clifton!
As long as you don’t go in, you don’t have to clear. (OK, you take a minor liberty going in to get dinner. No one is going to mess with you).
Get an early start day two and you will be at Blue Lagoon in plenty of time.
You are missing some of the prettiest Caribbean skipping the Tobago Cays, Mayreau and Canouan though.
Why the big hurry to get to St Vincent?
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 17:12   #5

Boat: Island Packet 38

Those are two fairly long days, upwind, current setting you to leeward, and some uncomfortable going especially between Grenada and Carriacou. You’ll want good weather and an early start to get From St. George’s to Union while it is still light. You don’t want to go into Union in the dark, particularly if you haven’t been there before. If it’s getting late, you may want to pull into Sandy Island off Carriacou instead. That will make a 4pm arrival at Blue Lagoon the next day a little more challenging however. If you choose to check in at Union, do so at the airport, the port will do customs but not immigration, the airport does both and has longer hours. Also, remember that the most dangerous thing on a sailboat is a schedule.
jkishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 17:16   #6

I've heard similar things about Clifton.

Yeah, so we're going to sail from St. Vincent slowly through the Grenadines.

BUT, we're considering the option of the guys from our group flying to Grenada to pick up the boat and deliver it ourselves to St. Vincent rather than paying the charter company to deliver it for us. We'd meet the wives at Blue Lagoon where we'd start the actual vacation.

The sail form Grenada to St. Vincent is mainly for the adventure of it and an excuse to have a couple days on the boat with just the guys to act like a bunch of idiots without the wives judging us. Haha!

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 18-07-2019, 17:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishel View Post
Also, remember that the most dangerous thing on a sailboat is a schedule.
Excellent advice!

Thanks!
Old 19-07-2019, 03:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
I've heard similar things about Clifton.

Yeah, so we're going to sail from St. Vincent slowly through the Grenadines.

BUT, we're considering the option of the guys from our group flying to Grenada to pick up the boat and deliver it ourselves to St. Vincent rather than paying the charter company to deliver it for us. We'd meet the wives at Blue Lagoon where we'd start the actual vacation.

The sail form Grenada to St. Vincent is mainly for the adventure of it and an excuse to have a couple days on the boat with just the guys to act like a bunch of idiots without the wives judging us. Haha!

Thanks again for the advice!
Interesting, we were there in March and liked Clifton, good bars and restaurants/cafes, fun watching the kitesurfers etc. Had a horrible experience in Chatham with boat boys fighting each other as to who "saw" us first. They used foul language and were trying to push each others' boats out of the way, jeopardising the hull of our charter boat in the process, hanging off the toerail with their boats against our hull etc. We refused to go ashore and patronise any of the bars/BBQs partly as we were so disgusted and partly as we didn't want the hassle if someone disagreed about who "should" get our business. Disgusting behaviour.
bellasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 07:11   #9

Bellasailor -

Thanks for the input...I imagine you will run into shady/crummy people regardless of where you go...people will be people.

It does seem there may be a little higher concentration in Clifton...at least based off of the higher number of complaints like this related to Clifton.

But thanks again for the input!
Old 19-07-2019, 07:36   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

Clifton isnt a great Anchorage, yer its behind the reef but you are also on a Lee shore (more reef) it can blow hard, theres lots of boats in there ,some on moorings ,some anchored. I was there last Sunday night, it blew hard ,thunderstorms, I was at anchor and trapped by boats that anchored close to me, I was not comfortable with the situation, if something went wrong uring the night II could not maneuver out of there in those winds and the congestion. We got a lull and I took the opportunity to get out.

Also remember from Grenada to Union it's a tight beat, with apparent wind 20-25k most of the time, you have a strong westerly setting current between the islands forcing you to point up more. We are a deep keeled 47 ft mono and need to be close hauled 30°of the wind to get there. Absolutely doable but if your a charter cat you'll most likely be motor sailing and pounding.

Tobago cays is very nice ,just spent a couple of days up there. Heading back that way next week, if you see Sukha come say hello.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 07:39   #11

Boat: Catalina 470

I would probably do what a previous poster suggested ,grab a mooring at Sandy island the first night. Pretty spot, moorings are good, well the one I dove on was.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 08:49   #12

Dale -

Thanks!

We're booking this far in advance. We'll actually be sailing there in May/June 2020. Airfare out of Idaho is so pricey that booking this far out is needed to even get close to reasonable ticket prices!

Again, thanks for the input!
Old 19-07-2019, 10:20   #13

Boat: PDQ 44i

I would do it differently. I would meet my crew in Bequia.

It is 5-6 hours from St Georges to Tyrell Bay, Carriacou, depending upon whether you sail on the flood (less adverse) or the ebb (more adverse) You will mostly motor in the wind shadow of Grenada and then you are close hauled to Carriacou. It is best to motor sail well east toward Sauteurs before cracking off toward Carriacou. Sail close to Ronde Island to avoid the exclusion zone around Kick 'em Jenny, an active underwater volcano. Have a line in the water. We usually catch a nice fish on this passage.

Anchor at Tyrell Bay and clear customs the next morning, early. Then it is a lovely sail to Admiralty Bay, Bequia. Clear into St Vincent and the Grenadines in Bequia. Have a nice dinner on shore.

Have your crew meet you in Admiralty Bay. They can come down on the fast ferry from St. Vincent. Remember to go to Customs and sign them onto your boat when they arrive. Enjoy the Grenadines.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 11:14   #14

Boat: Outbound 46

So, you are missing our two favorite islands. Carriacou is a delight, I highly recommend Lumba Dive in Tyrell Bay, but there is lots more to recommend the island. Bequia has, in my opinion, both the best diving and the best restaurant experience in the Eastern Caribbean. I know that charters put a lot of time pressure on you, but Jeeze, enjoy the journey.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 14:04   #15

Boat: FP Helia 44

May not work for your schedule but one of our favorite, no hassle, no cost, isolated stopping points north of Grenada is Ronde Island.
Heliades is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grenada, sail