Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2015, 11:29   #16

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Friend scared to fly but wants to sail instead

We have a friend that rents a house in the caribbean every year for January... he doesn't like flying either so he takes a cruise ship out of Baltimore and gets off in St. Thomas, then takes a ferry wherever.

Not only does he avoid flying (which I also have begun to loath) but he also can pack huge bags full of food so he doesn't have to pay food prices in St. Thomas! On top of that he may be able to spend a couple of days visiting other locations over xmas and new years.

Plus, it's often cheaper to take the cruise ship in a last minute deal than pay exorbitant airline prices over the holidays.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 12:25   #17

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Many years ago I saw an interview with Minnesota Fats, a wise man. They were talking about odds and fate and Fats said, ''it doesn't matter if you are afraid of flying, if that plane wants you it will come and get you''. Sound strange? Think about it. After 911 I started thinking about it and I am sure there were scores of people in the Trade Centers who were afraid to fly. Fats went on to say that when your numbers up, it's up. I wonder if the OP's friend smokes. Now there is something that is really dangerous. Isn't logic wonderful.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 15:38   #18

Boat: Boro Benito 42 ft Ketch

Sailing / boating can be a good cure for a fear from flying. Friends of mine hated flying and took a ferry for a six hour trip from the mainland to one of the Greek islands. Six hours of throwing up convinced them that they much rather take a plane for their return trip.....
Yachtmasteroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 17:15   #19

Boat: Catalina 30

A fear of Flyng is usually related to not feeling in control. I'm not a big fan of flying either, nor of heights, but I consider myself a fairly competent sailor.

Just because someone has a phobia does not make them unfit for everything else in the world.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 19:32   #20

Boat: Sea Ray 330 Sundancer
Friend scared to fly but wants to sail instead

If you're going to surround yourself in an environment that is not compatible with life, how is doing it for a few days better than doing it for a few hours?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Enrique100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 11:40   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I sure wouldn't take someone with an irrational fear on a boat.
Exactly!

Anyone in this day in age (when air travel has never been safer) who is afrain to fly even in a Cessna 172, let alone an airliner, should NOT be anywhere near anything smaller than the QE2 on the open seas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post

so now i've added yet another rule to follow during my sailing adventures. anybody who can't figure out that the most dangerous segment of a trip in an airplane is the drive to the airport is not welcome on my boat for even moderately long passages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique100 View Post
If you're going to surround yourself in an environment that is not compatible with life, how is doing it for a few days better than doing it for a few hours?
AMEN!!!
CoopAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 12:11   #22

Boat: Catalina 30

I can't believe the small mindedness I am seeing here. Everyone is afraid of something. If you were deathly afraid of spiders of every size and type, would you stop sailing? Would you think yourself a lesser person?

Fear of flying doesn't make this person someone who will shut down in every difficult situation. If they have been out before, then I don't see a reason to leave them behind now. (And I would not take ANYONE out in the blue for an extended period and/or in foreign waters if they had not been out before, preferably with me.)
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 12:22   #23

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I sure wouldn't take someone with an irrational fear on a boat.
My partner has an irrational fear of flying, but stick her in a fibreglass tub in the middle of a North Atlantic gale and she's fine. I don't get it, she doesn't get it, but it seems to work somehow. I think the key for her is that she appreciates that her fear of flying is irrational but just accepts it. She's better now, but i'm in the habit of wearing a thick sweatshirt during takeof and landing if i'm flying with her. It's amazing how much force a terrified 7 1/2 stone lady can apply on one's unsuspecting forearm as it lounges unsuspectingly in the neutral zone between the seats.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail