Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2010, 08:37   #1

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
Flying with Boat Gear Into Mexico

I'll be carrying a couple of duffels full of gear for my boat when I fly into Cancun in January. This will be my first time doing so into Mexico - in previous years I've flown into Guatemala and Honduras with very significant boat gear and it has been relatively painless. I generally follow the 'inconspicuous tourist' approach and pass right through. I'm wondering if anyone has done this recently and has any advice for clearing customs with boat gear.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 10:07   #2

If your boat is in Mexico, and you have a TIP (temporary import permit), you can basically bring in anything for your boat legally, free of any duties.... IF you follow the procedure... which is...

FIRST, before you bring stuff in, get a 'invoice' with all the parts listed.
With this, go to the customs office that issued you the TIP ( the Banjercito is the appropriate department) and they will prepare (for free) a special form... with 4 items per form of the parts that you wish to import....

now with this stamped paper and invoice you can then cross the border, and at the customs guys 'discretion' (if they believe it is really for the boat) you get your stuff duty free.

I tried this on some smaller items, and then on bigger items. All good.

Hope this helps.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 10:12   #3

Boat: CT54
We were just talking to some cruisers about this last night. It seems they had flown in with boat parts 4 different times and got the red light each time. We are having my daughter fly in in the next few weeks and wanted to have her bring some various boat parts. Our cruiser friends suggested she take everything out of the original box and carry it on her person if at all possible instead of in the luggage.
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 10:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
We were just talking to some cruisers about this last night. It seems they had flown in with boat parts 4 different times and got the red light each time. We are having my daughter fly in in the next few weeks and wanted to have her bring some various boat parts. Our cruiser friends suggested she take everything out of the original box and carry it on her person if at all possible instead of in the luggage.
Makes you look guilty if they stop you.

Worst case make an invoice yourself for the parts.... if you can not get the originals....

Also, if possible, talk to the customs office where your daughter will be clearing ahead of time... With the right paperwork they have the excuse to let you through.. and... in my experience they do want to be helpful if the law allows them and the paperwork is in order...
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 10:46   #5

Boat: CT54
My daughter will only be bringing in a few small items (handheld GPS and some gaskets) so this is not a issue for her to carry on her person
You can try to go the TIP route but I have heard of it not working for many people. Paying 33% import fees is just not the way to go in my opinion but better than loosing your parts at customs.
Good luck whatever you decide!
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 16:46   #6

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
Three years ago I went into Mexico several times with a duffel and even plastic tubs full of boat stuff. Went into Panama, too with plastic tubs of hardware, pumps, electronics, etc. I was prepared with invoices and documentation of my boat and where it was located. Once someone asked me where I was going. Most of the time they just waved me through. I would be prepared with all the documents (I was never asked for a single one though I had them all filled out), but would not worry too much unless there has been some kind of recent change. Biggest issue was on the US side of having security folks go through everything pack it badly and then seal it. I got to putting a note inside begging the TSA to please put stuff back the way they found it and they did better.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 06:08   #7

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
Thumbs up

Thanks, all.
I do have a TIP, and will have my COD and Invoices with me (with six copies of each, including passports - I did learn something thru the process of getting my TIP - hours lost finding a place to make copies). I now carry a three ring binder with originals and copies of all important ship's papers. I don't quite see how to manage going to the Office of the Port Captain (originator of the TIP) prior to clearing airport customs when arriving at 1800 hrs, though.
Good tip on putting a note inside the bag asking the TSA to repack as they found it. I'll even include a baggage inventory for them. I can only hope that no would be terrorist tries anything with a reconditioned Yanmar heat exchanger and gets such banned before I make this trip. TSA were quite bemused last year when I checked a 70# Delta out of SEA for SAP. Duty free upon much-delayed arrival, but that's another saga

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
FIRST, before you bring stuff in, get a 'invoice' with all the parts listed.
With this, go to the customs office that issued you the TIP ( the Banjercito is the appropriate department) and they will prepare (for free) a special form... with 4 items per form of the parts that you wish to import....
now with this stamped paper and invoice you can then cross the border, and at the customs guys 'discretion' (if they believe it is really for the boat) you get your stuff duty free.

Hope this helps.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote