Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2021, 07:00   #16

Boat: Amel 50
Re: First charter in BVI

Internet - Agree with using AT&T international plan.

Food - RiteWay is the easiest and most reasonable supermarket, walking distance from the charter basin in Road Town (https://www.rtwbvi.com/).

Other advice - Don’t be afraid to anchor. Good holding/shelter and it allows you to go places when the mooring balls are all taken (assuming that’s still a concern in these strange times). Plus you can snorkel right over your anchor and chain to inspect it visually thanks to the clear water.
Old 21-09-2021, 12:54   #17

I am there for 3 weeks, do you think I will get bored being only in the BVIs ?
sburt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 04:42   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 57

No, you won't get bored - there are many anchorages to explore with that amount of time you won't have to leave an anchorage you especially like just because you want to visit all those you'd put in your plans. That is perhaps the most frequent lament I hear from charterers. And you can plan your sails to use optimal weather, i.e. not head up to Anegada until the wind and waves are just right, or change you itinerary to protected anchorages if a big north swell sets in (many anchorages become uncomfortable or untenable with a big north swell).
Old 22-09-2021, 04:45   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
No, you won't get bored - there are many anchorages to explore with that amount of time you won't have to leave an anchorage you especially like just because you want to visit all those you'd put in your plans. That is perhaps the most frequent lament I hear from charterers. And you can plan your sails to use optimal weather, i.e. not head up to Anegada until the wind and waves are just right, or change you itinerary to protected anchorages if a big north swell sets in (many anchorages become uncomfortable or untenable with a big north swell).
Brilliant, thanks Zanshin
sburt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 05:41   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburt10 View Post
1. Does anyone have any good tips for what to do about mobile internet ? She who must be obeyed has a social media addiction and must post every second of out life’s on Instagram

2. Has anyone chartered from DYC that can tell me if they allow you to cross over to the USVI ?

3. Food seems insanely expensive, any tips ? Are there any locally produced items that are cheaper ?

Thanks in advance
S
We chartered there in spring 2019. 3 couples on a 41' monohull, 8 days. Loved it.

1 - We stayed offline, one person kept a written journal, and we collectively took thousands of photos. And put it all together afterwards. So sorry, I'm no help there. (If I'm online, it's not a vacation, IMHO)

3 - We used Riteway, and we didn't find things outrageously expensive. Over $100, they deliver for free to the charter docks. I did find dining out in general to be rather expensive in the most touristy spots. So we did aim to do all our own cooking.

I wouldn't expect to put 3 weeks of food and water aboard; you'll probably need to stop at least once to restock.

I'm jealous. Have fun. Snorkel lots.

[edit - if you and your wife are Internet/Instagram addicts... then 3 weeks might be a tad long. Our 8 days went by quickly but it was a complete blast. I could see doing 2 weeks... 3 weeks maybe if we chose to chill out and hang at some of the beaches for a few days at a time, and just totally unwind.]
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, charter