Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2005, 10:24   #1

Question BVI: What Charter company Is the Best for the First Time ?

Hello everybody.

Believe it or not, after almost 15 years of "doing-something-else", I want to get back to sea again. I used to serve on Russian Subs, did some sailing while in N. college and in the service. But that stopped in 1989.
My friend and I decided to go to BVI, charter 40' Cat and have nice family vacation for 7 days. We have difficulties choosing a charter company to go with. What do you think guys? Who should we take? Moorings seems to be more attractive, but a bit pricey. On the other hands we do not want to get cheap and crappy boat.
I appreciate your opinion and recomendations.

BTW, if you are in BVI in April-May 2006 and see USSR Navy flag flying below right spreader, know that - it is us; come aboard for nice company, nice brandy, beer or whatever you prefer. You are all invited.

Thanks,
Nas
Old 20-09-2005, 12:06   #2
cruiser

When in NY...

Hi Nas,

This isn't BVI-related, but while you are in NY, we are doing charters out of Sag Harbor aboard a 45' Gulfstar in Summer '06. You will see our ad in the Hamptons Guide this spring. Destinations are wide open to include Block Island, Martha's Vineyard, Maine, etc...

For $3500 a week ($600/day), you get:

*Private stateroom and head(bath) with shower
*3 gourmet meals a day with the freshest ingredients purchased from Whole Foods Market
*Snacks, Open Bar
*Waitstaff/Housekeeping
*Internet, DVD, Playstation
*Unlimited calling on the ship's phone
*Air Conditioning (a small surcharge applies for use at anchor)

This is a private charter for you and your guests... no other people are on board except the US Coast Guard Licensed Captain and the crew. They have separate quarters far removed from yours and will be as friendly, or as removed as you desire.

The boat is currently undergoing a refit of the interior this winter. If you are interested in just going out for some fun on it (rather than a full scale charter), private message me and let me know. We could do a greatly reduced rate, since it's in re-fit right now. Private message me on this board, and I'll give you my contact information. The boat is currently in Manhasset.

Take Care,
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 13:20   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Nas,

If you want to go with nearly brand new boats Sunsail or Moorings are the two top outfits. You have to remember that there might be issues even with brand new boats. If you want to economise a bit one of the secondary fleets might do. Conch Charters has a good reputation and they have cats now. Their boats are clean and their service is good.

You can save a lot by doing your own provisioning. Bobbys in online and their service is good http://www.bobbysmarketplace.com/.

As you nearly always arrive in the evening make sure you get first night sleep aboard privileges. Get checked out the next morning and complete your shopping. Charters normally run from noon to noon. This saves you the cost of one day's charter. Many companies will give you this at no cost.

Another item to consider is the insurance charges. Some companies charge a flat fee, some a daily rate and some only require a refundable deposit although these are getting fewer.

If you charter for more than one week you should get 15 - 20% off the second week . Many companies will accept less than the posted rates. Depends on how busy they are.

I'm sure whether you go with a new boat or an older one you will have a great time.
Old 20-09-2005, 19:53   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Okay, multiple postings on the same subject.....?

Recommend Conch Charters in the BVI.

They were nice to me when I booked a charter there some years ago, then had to cancel last minutte as I found and bought my own sailing machine.

Conch even refunded my non-refundable deposit....
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 07:02   #5

Very helpful

Thank you for your information.
Sorry about multiple postings: first message went to wrong wrong forum.

SSullivan, Thank you for the offer, but no, thank you.

Nas
Old 21-09-2005, 07:33   #6

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet
Cool BVI

http://www.bvitouristboard.com/atsea/sea-charter.htm
here's a good place to start.
kismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 07:39   #7

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet
Thumbs up deep pokets

If you have them...I helped deliver this boat from Newport to Baltimore. She later headed for Tortola. I have no idea where she is now, but it does not get much better than this. http://www.alsons2.net/
Tom
kismet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
British Virgin Islands